home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 06-05-2018, 09:49 AM   #1
Hank Scorpio
Chubfest 2009 Survivor

Default Whiteblock VVT delete

i have an exhaust side VVT head for the 245 build. Not going to use the vvt and have the block off plate but started thinking, any real reason I can't just use the exhaust side cam from the NA head (which would be vvt intake, not exhaust)? I'm not worried about cam specs at this point, just simplifying the setup. Upside would be uses a normal cam gear and alignment.
History: Car 1 (242) | Car 2 (t5r) | Car 3 (255)
Hank Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 12:43 PM   #2
DET17
Reformed SAABaholic

As was recommended to me by Johann "the man" I sourced each of the almost 1 year only non VVT cams for the RN head. One was from an 01, and I cannot recall the other right now, perhaps 03 or 04? IIRC the latter was a turbo donor, the former NA.

Weblore says exhaust VVT was done for emissions reasons and obviously the intake for wide torque curve reasons. I sourced the cam pulleys from each of the donors. I expect to have to fab blocking plates for each so I can run my 07 VVT head and cover as is. Somewhere in my Whiteblock folder I have the OE part #s.

Feedback thread: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=198746
DET17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 12:49 PM   #3
blkaplan
50 shades of beige

Quote:
Originally Posted by DET17 View Post
As was recommended to me by Johann "the man" I sourced each of the almost 1 year only non VVT cams for the RN head. One was from an 01, and I cannot recall the other right now, perhaps 03 or 04? IIRC the latter was a turbo donor, the former NA.

Weblore says exhaust VVT was done for emissions reasons and obviously the intake for wide torque curve reasons. I sourced the cam pulleys from each of the donors. I expect to have to fab blocking plates for each so I can run my 07 VVT head and cover as is. Somewhere in my Whiteblock folder I have the OE part #s.
Did you do anything about the buckets, shims, and springs?
Originally Posted by DarkKratoz View Post
The only safe bet is Ben.©
blkaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 12:50 PM   #4
Jack
junkman

Quote:

this... His volvospeed thread covers all of this .. if pictures work

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishBrick
Don’t bother, I would literally rather throw them away than give you the pleasure. I will never sell to you.
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 08:35 PM   #5
Hank Scorpio
Chubfest 2009 Survivor

Quote:

Ok so in theory I could use cams from Enem or KM and have them both as non VVT (but for the RN head). Just would need to find the exhaust non VVT cam gear.

Machine shop would be setting the clearances anyways, seems like a good time to do it.
Hank Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 10:14 PM   #6
ErikS
FWD!

http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/topic...na-cam-timing/
ErikS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 11:05 PM   #7
doucheNozzle

Why delete it?

'99 V70 NAA - So Slow
'04 V70 T5A - Feels Fast
doucheNozzle is online now   Reply With Quote