home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 06-07-2018, 04:08 PM   #1
turbochimp
Board Member

Default 8.8 swap - wheel advice?

I'm torn on which way to go with wheel selection so I'm looking for some experienced advice on a good way to go for wheels on my 242. Its ls swapped and I'm about to 8.8 swap the rear end. Car currently has 17" rwd peg repops which seem ok for the car - I have em but not married to them. I also want to do the s60r brake swap eventually - my understanding is the these pegs will require spacers for this to work

I see my options as:
-drill ford rears for 5x108 and run pegs maybe with spacers
-drill fronts for ford wheels 5x114.5

What do you guys recommend for the best way to go? I really don't want to buy all new wheels but maybe the ford pattern will give me more options down the road? Are the any common 17" ford wheels that will suit the car without spacers?

Thanks!

Last edited by turbochimp; 06-07-2018 at 04:26 PM..
turbochimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 04:18 PM   #2
JohnMc
PV Abuser

I'm in this same exact situation. I hadn't made it around to the rear axle swap yet, so I haven't made a decision.

I can't find the numbers I had written down but it seems like the narrowed 8.8 (short-side axles on both sides) is just a little bit narrower than the 240 axles is when it has two 32mm spacer/adapters on it (as mine does now).

So close that I was pondering just using a couple of spacers and having the rear hubs drilled so I can keep the pattern at 4.25". And continue using the FWD offset wheels I'm already have.
'93 245 16VT Classic #1141
JohnMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 05:20 PM   #3
John V, outside agitator
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMc View Post
I'm in this same exact situation. I hadn't made it around to the rear axle swap yet, so I haven't made a decision.

I can't find the numbers I had written down but it seems like the narrowed 8.8 (short-side axles on both sides) is just a little bit narrower than the 240 axles is when it has two 32mm spacer/adapters on it (as mine does now).

So close that I was pondering just using a couple of spacers and having the rear hubs drilled so I can keep the pattern at 4.25". And continue using the FWD offset wheels I'm already have.

Look hard John..I don't know if there's enough meat in the OD of the hubs especially with weird-ass Volvo studs bug dumb knurl dia..
Might be worth doing a scale drawing to see..
I did the 4.25 to 4.5 thing for a guy with an Xratty--yeah yeah different car but there's a principle that OEMs don't like giving away pointless metal so why put more on OD than whatever calculations they use says to---and I had to make an "OD extender"...like a spacer but overhanging the edge and zapped in place>>

And I made the studs so the shank was 14mm--same as the threaded bit. M14x1.5 so we could use nuts with 19mm hex.

--> CALL (206) 431-9696<----

www.rallyrace.net/jvab

www.rallyanarchy.com

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

"When a man tells you that he got rich through hard work, ask him: 'Whose?'"
— Don Marquis
John V, outside agitator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 05:32 PM   #4
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMc View Post

Some custom thick spacers [to the flushiness of your choosing] in 4.5 to 4.25 is the short way home, as long as you're running the high offset WWD wheels anyway.

Image hosted by servimg.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperfauto View Post
Folks on here don't know a good deal when they see it.
how psi stock cna support?

Redwood Chair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 05:50 PM   #5
culberro
Ronald Culberbone III

The front hubs can easily be drilled to 5x4.5, you just have to choose a knurl diameter that works. I use the ARP metric GM studs. Drill with the appropriate fractional inch bit and they press right in. Easy peasy if you have a mill and a DRO or a rotary table.
Ben even offers this service: https://www.bneshop.com/collections/...led-front-hubs

To make the rotors fit, you can have them drilled, or just take a die grinder to the holes and make them an oval.
The Ford pattern means here are a BUNCH of wheels that can work. Getting away from 5x108 makes a lot of sense unless you’re heavily invested in wheels, or a certain look.

Last edited by culberro; 06-07-2018 at 05:56 PM..
culberro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 09:09 AM   #6
JohnMc
PV Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood Chair View Post
Some custom thick spacers [to the flushiness of your choosing] in 4.5 to 4.25 is the short way home, as long as you're running the high offset WWD wheels anyway.
I don't think there's enough room in the back for adapters, just some spacers.

But since I'd be needing FWD offset wheels for the new rear width anyhow, easiest is probably just putting a pair of 4.25->4.5 adapters on the front.

The massive abundance of 4.5 wheels vs. the relative scarcity of 4.35 wheels is a very valid point. I just happen to have a set that I like well enough, but I really shouldn't let the tail wag the dog here.

Last edited by JohnMc; 06-08-2018 at 10:30 AM..
JohnMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 10:28 AM   #7
Pillow
Sleazebag 7-9 Owner

To note, if this is a drag car you will want to keep the 15" option for the rear IMO. Preferably w/o spacers as some tracks may not allow them.
#79WDP
2006 XC70 Wagon - "Chuck Feo" - Daughters ride - stock
1992 965 - "Savage Wagon" w LS 5.3 LM7 + LS7 cam + GM T5 swap in progress.
1983 Jeep Cherokee - LS 5.3 LM7 + LS9 cam + SM465 swap in progress
1971 Chevy C-10 w 5.3 LS (LS2 cam) & GM T5 trans
Pillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 04:30 PM   #8
cosbySweater
Board Member

https://www.jegs.com/i/Cragar/260/83-7714/10002/-1

Volvo and ford pattern, they also make matching 15s for the sleeper look with drag radials
1982 Ford Fairmont Futura, 4.8/th400, 8.8, mircrosquirt, 7875 turbo, 228/230 cam, Project Cheap Thrills

Quote:
Originally Posted by bricktop420 View Post
Thank you very much everybody... i now feel sufficiently retarded and will go cry in the corner...
cosbySweater is offline   Reply With Quote