home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 06-09-2018, 03:23 AM   #1
89_740Turbo
Board Member

Default Tips/tricks/advice before I instiall my MBC this wednesday?

On Wednesday, dl242gt and I are going to hook up my MBC and the boost gauge face Dave sells on his website. It's a fricken SWEET alternative to a boost pod and I will definitely post pictures of it once it's installed.

I got the car to stage 0 right now and everything is currently stock. If I recall correctly, stock PSI is 7... and I'm looking to boost it up to 11. My 740 is the later model, the 1989 m46 lh2.2 model. I'm going to play it safe and assume I have skinny rods. I haven't checked yet. The ride currently sits at about 160bhp and I'm looking to eventually get it up to 200hp with other upgrades in time.

What kind of [estimated] HP gain will I receive from 7psi to 11psi? Any installation tips/tricks or advice I should know before installation? Quarter turns, right? Don't want to go over 11 psi?
89_740Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 03:30 AM   #2
JimmyMelbs
Board Member

Get an afr guage.
JimmyMelbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 03:56 AM   #3
89_740Turbo
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyMelbs View Post
Get an afr guage.

Currently trying to source one on here before I buy one brand new.
89_740Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 07:19 AM   #4
thelostartof
unbalanced chemical

Typically 6hp per Psi. So add 4 psi, add 24bhp. The more efficient the setup the more bhp per Psi. Someone with a better IC, larger turbo and worked head might make 10+bhp per extra psi or more. But for these old tractor engines think of it around 6bhp (at the engine) per Psi.

Start with a light foot and just watch the guage for how much boost you are running. It will not only make more boost but spool up quicker.

Start with long hoses so you can adjust the MBC without burning your hands and oncenyoy have the 4th gear highway pull psi set cut out the extra length and final install the MBC with short hoses. The longer hoses will create a pressure spike when boost first comes in but it should settle after that.
Old 06-09-2018, 10:02 AM   #5
Uncleknucklez
bruspeed

Make sure it’s oriented properly, they only work one direction. Seems obvious, but I did this just last week, and hit 22 psi when target was 15

Uncleknucklez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 01:45 PM   #6
dl242gt
Can play the blues

I figured get it somewhere around the 10-11psi zone. It has a stock clutch and exhaust right now so it's just the basic fun boost increase. You guys remember. It's what gets you hooked on boost.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 02:38 PM   #7
EivlEvo
Board Member

START with it plumbed but not doing anything.

Then turn it up a quarter turn and see if it does anything (they all scale differently)

Once you establish its scale, turn it up INCREMENTALLY until you get to where you want to be.

If you don't have an AFR gauge then on your test drives just drive to the dealership so when you blow your car up at least you can buy a new one as you're already at the dealership.
EivlEvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 03:09 PM   #8
soclosenotnear
Board Member

You're overthinking most of this stuff, I think. Once you get under the hood and actually do it, you'll be surprised how simple it was. I realize it can be daunting if you've never done it before, but it's very quick, easy and painless.
soclosenotnear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 09:39 PM   #9
oldschoolvolvo
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyMelbs View Post
Get an afr guage.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/AEM-30-4110...gAAOSw8StbGUIK

Quote:
Originally Posted by EivlEvo View Post
START with it plumbed but not doing anything.

Then turn it up a quarter turn and see if it does anything (they all scale differently)

Once you establish its scale, turn it up INCREMENTALLY until you get to where you want to be.

If you don't have an AFR gauge then on your test drives just drive to the dealership so when you blow your car up at least you can buy a new one as you're already at the dealership.

Last edited by oldschoolvolvo; 06-09-2018 at 09:46 PM..
oldschoolvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote