home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 06-11-2018, 02:37 PM   #1
Wesdunns70t5m
Board Member

Default Accumulator mod worryís

So Iíve got a 1990 760 turbo wagon with an aw71 transmission. Iím slowly doing upgrades here and there, things that can be carried over to a bigger turbo eventually. Iíve got a 15g sitting in my spare room waiting for a rebuild to be put on. Anyways, like any enthusiast would do, Iím wanting to pull off the accumulator mod. Seeing as this is my first automatic volvo, I went to my local junkyard that I know has a 94 940 NA sitting in the yard with an automatic! I know this because the g80 I installed was pulled from that car :D. So I managed to drop the pan, and remove the valve body. Hell, I even got all 3 pistons out and found a perfect jack handle to fit between the two bigger springs. My only concern with the whole procedure is the kickdown spool inside the valve body. At the yard, I simply left it bolted on to the valve body and let the VB just hand from the cable. Taking that peice off and reassembling it correctly is intimidating to me for some reason, so would it harm anything to just leave the kickdown cable spool attached to the valve body, and just put something underneath to support the weight? Or would doing this damage something or throw the cable out of whack? This car is my daily driver and living paycheck to paycheck for the most part, I want to ensure everything goes smoothly.

Other than the kickdown cable (which is probably extremely simple, Iím just psyching myself out) this job seems pretty straight forward. Any other tips would be appreciated! And Iím obviously planning on doing this with the transmission still installed. In the yard it was fairly simple with it installed, all bolts were easily accessible. Thanks in advanced

Posted via Mobile Device
Wesdunns70t5m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 02:55 PM   #2
JohnLane
Board Member

Cable comes right off. Spring loaded guy will return the valve to 'throttle closed' position.

Watch for falling ballzzz.
Old 06-11-2018, 05:12 PM   #3
Wesdunns70t5m
Board Member

So itís just that one bolt in the valve body and then the assembly slides out and can really go back on one way? I saw that the accumulators were accessible with it still attached, but didnít really think about how bad it could potentially be by leaving it connected. If itís as simple as unbolt it and it slides on and off in a way thatís obviously right, thatíll be great!
Old 06-11-2018, 08:06 PM   #4
Mbeas96
Board Member

I did leave the cable attatched to the valve body. My transmission was out of the car though, so it wasnt just hanging there. But I'm sure its possible to support it close enough not to cause damage to anything. Removing it is ideal, to get things out the way, but I was nervous about it as well.

My build thread: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=340910
Mbeas96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 08:00 AM   #5
Wesdunns70t5m
Board Member

Ok, Iíll try supporting unless I get in there looking at it and it seems simple enough to remove. All in all I was petrified of tackling this job, especially since most posts point at it being damn hard in car. The hardest part for me at the junkyard was removing the dipstick bolts on back of the starter.

Iíve also poked around and have caught some chit chat of check ball mods in the valve body. I know the two locations of the check balls, but would like some advice on what to do here. Iíve heard of people drilling the holes out a size or two bigger and replacing the check balls, and that if that wasnít ďaggressiveĒ enough, to just remove the check balls all together. Iíd prefer not to start drilling into my valve body, so is there any reason I canít just remove the two check balls and note large the holes anymore? Id imagine it would still be far more aggressive than stock, Iím just searching for more first hand experiences here.
Old 06-13-2018, 08:11 PM   #6
Mbeas96
Board Member

In not sure...I've read similar things, but have never messed with it. With the accumulator mod makes it shift very hard under load. Ill bark and sometimes spin the tires shifting into 2nd.

Though, id love to hear about that. I wouldnt mind trying it out, if its beneficial
Old 06-13-2018, 09:08 PM   #7
Wesdunns70t5m
Board Member

It shouldnít be too far in the future that I tear into all this. I see it says youíre in Charleston, safe to assume thatís SC? Iíve never ridden in one of these with an accumulator mod so I wonít be able to speak on the difference between that vs with the check balls removed. Iím in Jacksonville NC so Iíd be willing to meet up for a car day meet and greet with ya!
Old 06-13-2018, 09:12 PM   #8
Jack
junkman

Make sure you have all the valve body gaskets
Leave the check balls alone. My 250k NA would chirp tires going into second when getting on the freeway.

Have a Volvo manual near by.
I did this in the car. Other than getting tons of atf all over my face (no homo) the job is easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishBrick
Donít bother, I would literally rather throw them away than give you the pleasure. I will never sell to you.
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 09:31 PM   #9
Mbeas96
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesdunns70t5m View Post
It shouldnít be too far in the future that I tear into all this. I see it says youíre in Charleston, safe to assume thatís SC? Iíve never ridden in one of these with an accumulator mod so I wonít be able to speak on the difference between that vs with the check balls removed. Iím in Jacksonville NC so Iíd be willing to meet up for a car day meet and greet with ya!
Yep. Charleston, SC. Im actually going to the mountain meet in North Carolina in September. I cant think of the city, but its in the mountains....ha. Im real excited to meet some of the people ive learned so much from on here. Its cool to see nore Volvo people here in the east coast! Lol out west seems to rule the forum...
Old 06-13-2018, 09:54 PM   #10
Wesdunns70t5m
Board Member

Ahhh damn right! Iíll have to look into that! Hopefully Iíll get some more things done before than...time moves too fast these days it seems. They definitely got us bear, but Iíve met a handful of forum members for Volvoís heRe on the east coast, and theyíve all been genuine and good people!