home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 06-05-2018, 03:42 PM   #1226
poulrais
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMc View Post
Yeah, on 4/25. I'm not going to raise a stink at this point. I'm just waiting patiently. They're not Amazon.com. It would just be nice if they'd give me a hint about when.

I don't think there are any other options at this point for a top mount shifter.
How much time do you have to open a dispute case with Paypal? A month?

And yes there aren't much options for top mount shifters. The Serial Nine CD999 is what comes closer to the top mount position.

1990, Volvo 740 16v +T
1991, Volvo 745T 16V - crushed
build thread: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=249553
poulrais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 03:51 PM   #1227
JohnMc
PV Abuser

I don't think that would work without chopping out the back end of the trans tunnel/shifter hole.

And that's with me moving the engine about 1 1/4 inches forward vs. where the STS Machining mounts put it.

As it is I'll be trimming the shifter shaft stub (assuming it's still used) that pokes out of the back of the trans so it won't bump in the 'forward' gears that push it backward.
'93 245 16VT Classic #1141
JohnMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 09:20 AM   #1228
JohnMc
PV Abuser

Maybe I should tackle the rear axle swap while I'm waiting for that damned shifter. After that's in I could at least install the trans (sans shifter) and get some measurements and get the driveshaft made.

I've just sort of been stuck waiting for that shifter because I wanted the next trans install to be 'final' (hah, best wishes o' mice and men), so I could really start hooking things up in the engine compartment instead of just mocking them up.
Old 06-08-2018, 09:42 AM   #1229
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

yeah it's never final. I had the t5 in and out of the blue 242 what feels like 100 times for various reasons.

Now with in-house Dyno tuning!

Megasquirt Tuning!
Plug and play LH 2.4 Megasquirt, now with stealth mode!
linuxman51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 09:27 AM   #1230
Roger-Dee
is DeeWorks.ca

That suck about the shifter. I was able to see the Serial Nice "Techinical relocation system" and it's greatly made, just not a viable option for your particular build.

You have up to 120 days on paypal do claim or open a dispute, though I hope you won't have to do it.
Need T5 Adapter? T5 Speedometer Plug? Gm Torque Converter Adapter? Freeze plug retainer? HE351 solenoid plug? Pm me!
Roger-Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 09:33 AM   #1231
JohnMc
PV Abuser

It's vaguely possible that one of those could work, with the shifter extension in the forward position. But I'd probably have to bash the hell out of the end of the tunnel, around the shifter area.

I didn't get any measurement on how much room I had around the back end of the trans as-is, since I was planning on using the top mount shifter. But I do recall thinking I might actually need to trim the shifter shaft off so it wouldn't touch when in 1/3/5 gears (lever forward, shaft fully extended).

This is with the LS moved forward 1.25 inches as well, the bellhousing face/back end of the motor is a bit further forward than the redblock engine's was. A top mount shifter might be a necessity on any redblock-cD009 trans swaps.

I sent CBF another email asking for a rough date, let's see if the respond this time.
Old 06-13-2018, 04:43 PM   #1232
JohnMc
PV Abuser

I got some 4.25 -> 4.5 wheel adapters, so those on the front, plus the 8.8 in back (possibly with some spacers for proper fit?) and I should be good for a set of FWD offset 5X4.5 tires (i.e. 2005+ Mustang).

Which shouldn't be super hard to find, loads more choices.

But they're all ugly. Not that my current wheels look sharp sharp sharp, but most wheels I see these days just look plain tacky.
/Get off my lawn!

What's the closest thing anyone knows of that looks about like a Polaris in 4.5? I like 5 simple spokes.
Old 06-13-2018, 05:37 PM   #1233
JohnMc
PV Abuser

Hmmm...

Old 06-13-2018, 09:36 PM   #1234
AndrewNance
Amateur hour!

Work Equip 05 for maximum ballerness!
Feedback

AndrewNance is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 09:36 AM   #1235
JohnMc
PV Abuser

Those seem pricey.

The fifteen52's are available in custom offsets: https://fifteen52.com/collections/ca...ant=4652694017

Quote:
* Custom Offset. Please note desired offset(s) between ET0-45 in the "notes to seller" upon checkout. Please allow additional 1 week to fulfill order for custom work.
At least in the 4X100 and 5X114.3 patterns. One of which is what I need.
Old 06-14-2018, 09:50 AM   #1236
SquareD
An Anomaly

Quote:
Those seem pricey.

The fifteen52's are available in custom offsets: https://fifteen52.com/collections/ca...ant=4652694017

At least in the 4X100 and 5X114.3 patterns. One of which is what I need.
Homer just sold a set of those fifteen52 Tarmacs for a pretty good price. Biggest downside with those is they're pretty heavy. Maybe consider Homer's current wheel choice... Enkei RPF1s. Great bang for the buck with those.
1994 945ti | 15g @ 14psi, Turbosmart EBC, AEM Failsafe WB, 3"/2.5" exhaust, do88 intercooler, iPd cam, STS cam gear, Ostrich LH tune, sbabbs EZK chip, green giants, K&N, Yoshifab CCV/Can/Cap, iPd SS brake lines, TME, Eibach, BNE, Koni suspension, iPd sways, iPd panhard, Cherry Turbos upper/lower braces, forged BBS RG-Rs, Michelin Pilot SS, ecodes, V90 bits.
1985 744ti | 13.8 @ 100.5 mph - Sold after 20 years.
SquareD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 09:55 AM   #1237
JohnMc
PV Abuser

But his set was (custom made) 5X108. I was kind of wanting to buy them, but I decided to go with a 114.3 bolt pattern.
Old 06-14-2018, 10:01 AM   #1238
SquareD
An Anomaly

Quote:
But his set was (custom made) 5X108. I was kind of wanting to buy them, but I decided to go with a 114.3 bolt pattern.
Ah yes, derp. You just said you were switching bolt patterns.
SquareD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 11:33 PM   #1239
poulrais
Board Member

I picked this up today... $500 CAD so like $385 USD. This is dirt cheap for a modern 6 speed tranny imo.

Old 06-18-2018, 09:13 AM   #1240
JohnMc
PV Abuser

Awesome. It's a little 'safer' to buy the G37/370 'JK' version, than the 'CD00?' G35/350 version. Once the sticker is worn off, it's almost implossible to tell what kind those are, but all the 'JK' versions are good.

I'm still waiting on that shifter for mine. Which is all right, but they won't answer emails. 1 email a solid month after sending them money, another one 2 weeks after that.
Old 06-18-2018, 10:18 AM   #1241
poulrais
Board Member

Quote:
Awesome. It's a little 'safer' to buy the G37/370 'JK' version, than the 'CD00?' G35/350 version. Once the sticker is worn off, it's almost implossible to tell what kind those are, but all the 'JK' versions are good.

I'm still waiting on that shifter for mine. Which is all right, but they won't answer emails. 1 email a solid month after sending them money, another one 2 weeks after that.
I just posted a question on his FB page asking for the delivery time for the forward mount shifter kit. We'll see if he answers!
Old 06-18-2018, 10:29 AM   #1242
JohnMc
PV Abuser

He did *promptly* answer a couple of questions I had before ordering and paying.

Again, while I would like it now now now, I'm not going to be pissy about stuff like this taking a while. I'd just like some sort of heads up on very roughly how long it will be.
Old 06-25-2018, 10:10 AM   #1243
speedhybridz

Quick question,in which way did you position the sts mounts? I notice that in one of your pictures the passenger side mount was interfering with the wastegate but in another picture. It seems like you had the bracket that sits on the block positioned different.
speedhybridz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 10:43 AM   #1244
JohnMc
PV Abuser

Two things going on over the course of fitting the engine in so far:

1) I swapped to a different set of manifolds. The first set was for a Nissan 240SX and fit a bit better on the non-turbo side, but tucked the turbo a bit too far back on the passenger side. The next set if so a Fox-body Mustang, and while there was a slight issue or two on the passenger side, nothing hard to fix. And the turbo sits a few inches further forward on the passenger side.

2) My H3 Alpha motor came with a driver's side motor mount on a metal bracket that repositioned the otherwise normal motor mount 1 1/4 inches further back. I initially set the motor in my car with the STS mounts directly on the block. And after a while pondering and looking at it, I just decided to avoid various fit issues* by moving the motor forward a bit. The Hooker oil pan had about 1 1/2 inch room to move forward, and I had this neat factory bracket for the driver's side that moved it forward 11 1/4 inch, and GM has a funny way of making things that have symmetrical bolt patterns that swap side to side and even upside down with no real issue, so I just got another bracket for the passenger side. I had to do a little light grinding here and there to fit it in properly. And between both metal plates, it widens the 'stance' of the STS mounts, so I had to drill a second set of holes for them in the crossmember, about 3/8" over on the passenger side (so the motor is moved to that side by roughly half that distance).

* - clearance issues solved by moving the motor forward:
- Bellhousing/trans tunnel. This would have required a fair amount of BFH work to fit the LS1 bellhousing in. Moving it forward places the tunnel opening further along the bellhousing taper, no hammering needed at all. In the original position, that center top bolt and the way the bellhousing rises to meet it was the main issue. I also pondered getting a much more compact steel bellhousing, which would have the side benefit of catching an exploding flywheel.
- Left side header/steering column. The headers I'm using are pretty compact, but not quite as compact as a flipped cast iron header. I already replaced the rubber isolated thick steering column with a plain metal tube, but it was going to take some more work to make it fit still. Moving it forward a bit, no problem.
- CD009 (actually JK40C) transmission - This is a long transmission. And it's wide way far back along the case, where the 240 tunnel starts tapering in. Even with it moved forward t e 1 1/4 inches I had to do a fair amount of BFH work in the tunnel, making room for the wide joint in the case, and the large 'bolts' where the shifter mechanism spring detent mechanisms are at the end. Not particularly noticeable from inside the car, but still, a lot of hammering going on underneath. If the engine was still sitting back, it would have needed a LOT more hammering, making the same width out of an even narrower part of the tunnel. On the plus side, the top mount shifter (the one I'm still waiting on) probably owuld have fit into the stock shifter opening a little better, as is it will need to reach back a couple of inches.
- downpipe clearance - there's not a whole lot of room for a 3" DP, but with the motor moved forward it just sort of snakes it's way on through without touching anything, and without bashing anything. Even with a stock cheap large starter.
Old 06-25-2018, 12:04 PM   #1245
cosbySweater
Board Member

I have a 3 inch downpipe on mine going straight down by the first 2 runners on the passenger side. I can send you some pictures but it's super simple
1982 Ford Fairmont Futura, 4.8/th400, 8.8, mircrosquirt, 7875 turbo, 228/230 cam, Project Cheap Thrills

Quote:
Originally Posted by bricktop420 View Post
Thank you very much everybody... i now feel sufficiently retarded and will go cry in the corner...
cosbySweater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 11:05 AM   #1246
JohnMc
PV Abuser

Finally heard back from the guy making the shifter. Something about his mill being killed in a lightning storm, and him setting up a new one.

Just waiting on one more piece to be made for the shifter, check back on Monday. w00t.

I've sort of been in limbo on this for a while. Partly waiting on parts, partly riding my bikes a lot, partly it's been mid-upper 90's and humid and it's no fun working on cars with sweat pouring off you.
Old 07-11-2018, 01:36 PM   #1247
JohnMc
PV Abuser

w00t. Just got a shipping notification from CBF Performance. I may have a shifter finally.

It's been too hot to work on cars lately, plus I've just been riding my bike instead.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:36 PM   #1248
poulrais
Board Member

Quote:
w00t. Just got a shipping notification from CBF Performance. I may have a shifter finally.

It's been too hot to work on cars lately, plus I've just been riding my bike instead.
Finally...
Old 07-16-2018, 10:01 AM   #1249
JohnMc
PV Abuser

The 'shipping label printed' status hasn't budged since it was created. Nothing actually delivered to the post office as of this morning.
Old 07-16-2018, 10:24 AM   #1250
poulrais
Board Member

Quote:
The 'shipping label printed' status hasn't budged since it was created. Nothing actually delivered to the post office as of this morning.
This is beyond stupid... You're a patient man!