• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

tfrasca's 142 Turbo Project

A profile shot from the recent Tahoe trip:

TAHOE-6497.jpg

I hadn't really noticed the slight rake before, but after looking at this profile shot, I realize the front has to come up a bit so the car sits level. Not a huge fan of rake on anything but old muscle cars, and even then...

I think I'll get some spring spacers next week and take care of that.

I'd also like to provide some more positive feedback for this idler arm bushing. The stock rubber ones that I found aftermarket were garbage. Even a new one allowed a ton of play, and they seem to wear extremely quickly. So I bought this bronze one and it's tightened up the steering a bit, and will never need to be replaced.

Old idler:

Steel sleeve on idler shaft:

Arm with brass bushing:

Complete unit installed:

It's been on for a couple thousand miles, and has had no issues. The only thing I don't love about it is the fact that the nylock nut acts as a preload adjustment, rather than just bottoming out on the shoulder of the OEM shaft. This has not been an issue, but I think I'll replace the stock nut with two jam nuts just to be sure nothing comes loose. It'd be a bummer to lose that...

Last edited:
A profile shot from the recent Tahoe trip:

TAHOE-6497.jpg

I hadn't really noticed the slight rake before, but after looking at this profile shot, I realize the front has to come up a bit so the car sits level. Not a huge fan of rake on anything but old muscle cars, and even then...

I think I'll get some spring spacers next week and take care of that.

IDK that looks about right, put some camping gear in the back and level it out that way.

Reminds me of my many 145 Tahoe adventures back in the day.

:)

IDK that looks about right, put some camping gear in the back and level it out that way.

Reminds me of my many 145 Tahoe adventures back in the day.

:)

It'd take a lot to level those rear springs. They aren't exactly soft...

140's love Tahoe, haha. I didn't need to chain up because roads were dry, but I ventured onto the ice/snow whenever I could find one to test out how she slid around. Pretty fun!

Also, thanks again for the door trim. Makes the car look 80% less ****ty.

you could always trade someone for 71 fenders, me to be specific :oogle:

love what you've done so far, at least what we can see from the pics.

you could always trade someone for 71 fenders, me to be specific :oogle:

love what you've done so far, at least what we can see from the pics.

Thanks!

Regarding the fenders; do the newer ones with the bigger turn signals have a bigger arch or something?

+1

Don't overwork it, you have to know when you're there, and I'd say that you have arrived at a good place with it.

Overworking it is my specialty, haha. Seriously though, I'll probably leave it as it is. I have a list a mile long of other stuff it needs, and I want to get some shocks re-valved (slower rebound) to deal with the stiff springs.

I found some time to take some photos of the interior, which has been almost completely replaced.

Nardi wheel, GT cluster, center console, new CD/Bluetooth deck. You can see that the dash has cracks, but I filled them with black silicone and put a carpet dash cover on it. I'm always kind of on the lookout for a better dash:

View from passenger side. New front seat covers and lower foam. Door panels are in pretty good shape. The black headrests are from my 144, but I'll either get them recovered to match the seats, or try to find tan vinyl ones:

New rear seat covers. The cover for the space below the windshield is out because I'm currently chasing down a leak from the rear windshield seal:

The driver's side front speaker is behind the knee bolster. It's an Alpine 4" 2-way to match the passenger side one, which is mounted in the stock position behind the dash:

2 6.5" Alpine speakers in rear hat shelf. I don't love the color of the Sapele that I used for the shelf, but it was all I had. I'll probably redo the veneer at some point:

Last edited:
I have the rear deck plastic trim that goes under the window for sale if you are interested

Thanks, but I have one. Interestingly, the '68 didn't have that black plastic piece stock (because it doesn't have vents there like the 70+ cars. When I got it, it had a really cool vinyl-wrapped panel that matched the headliner and c-pillars, but it had all but disintegrated.

I might end up trying to make that upholstered panel again.

Back