home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 07-28-2017, 11:41 PM   #26
M.H. Yount
Board Member

Might as well take a stab at front tranny seal too...
Old 07-30-2017, 01:31 PM   #27
Uncleknucklez
bruspeed

Threw the trans on my bench this AM, found that the rear shaft bushing was loose? It stayed behind as I pulled the rear housing.

Are there better bushings and seals than others? I found a cheapie kit on fleabay http://r.ebay.com/SvOytV

Also, the slip joint is worn on one side, but not the other? There's something def wrong with this setup, I'm going to do more detective work to determine what's up.

In other news, who can tig weld a v band to my 15g housing? Im still fighting the studs out, but that's also part of my plans while the car is down.

Uncleknucklez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 10:43 AM   #28
Chewy
Board Member

ooof.

Did the bushing spin in the housing??
Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo240skunk37 View Post
Good God son, you're just a pile of fail.

A-A-Ron
Now: 69 142 "Inga" Build Thread
Had: 80 242 "Elsa" Build Thread
Chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 11:17 AM   #29
Uncleknucklez
bruspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
ooof.

Did the bushing spin in the housing??
Yep, Only thing is I didn't know once they do that, the output housing is pretty much junk.

SO, I slap in a new bushing, thinking this one is good to go, put the car back together take it for a handful of trips around town, no leaks, my garage floor is clean, nice!

Turns out, I was wrong. The second bushing slipped, trans fluid all over the bottom of the car again. At least it is rust proof now.

I got a new housing, bushing (number 3), and seal from a local trans shop, put it back together again, and it has been hanging tough so far.

Drove around a while, but decided the vibrations were bad enough that it is time to try and tackle that issue. Now my garage looks like this, again....

I have the trailing arms out to shorten, I have some adjustable heim/poly torque rods i am going to try, I found an Aerostar 3" aluminum drive shaft to slap in (13 lb weight saving over the Mustang unit).

I also got the Vband welded to my 15G, and will build a new 3"DP to match

That is where I am now, need to weld the trailing arms, work on pinion angle (again) and cross fingers I can get most of the vibrations out of the car.

Last edited by Uncleknucklez; 10-24-2017 at 11:46 AM..
Old 10-24-2017, 08:27 PM   #30
oldschoolvolvo
Board Member

Nice work on the v-band. That 3" pipe looks like a monster vs the stock diameter
oldschoolvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 08:58 PM   #31
brickcupra
Board Member

Super job !!! I gotta do something with the a/c too, but for now I need to finish the in-tank high pressure fuel pump and I got an extra fuel line to finish the fuel system.
Keep up and don't give up'
DZ
brickcupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 09:25 PM   #32
soclosenotnear
Board Member

That weld does look great for the vband, but may I ask why you welded it on the inside instead of the outside? Or did you weld both? Any plans to port it out closer to 3"? Car looks great btw.
soclosenotnear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 10:34 PM   #33
Uncleknucklez
bruspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolvolvo View Post
Nice work on the v-band. That 3" pipe looks like a monster vs the stock diameter
I had a hearty laugh when I first saw that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickcupra View Post
Super job !!! I gotta do something with the a/c too, but for now I need to finish the in-tank high pressure fuel pump and I got an extra fuel line to finish the fuel system.
Keep up and don't give up'
DZ
The A/c still has not been charged, I thought it would cool off and would be a non issue for now, but it’s still in the mid 80’s here, and I’m second guessing my decision to put off the charge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soclosenotnear View Post
That weld does look great for the vband, but may I ask why you welded it on the inside instead of the outside? Or did you weld both? Any plans to port it out closer to 3"? Car looks great btw.
The clamp would hit weld on the outside, so I tig’d it on the inside only, time will tell if that was the correct decision.

If I put it off long enough I may end up attacking it with a carbide bit and work on it a bit, but I’m not too concerned with it as of now. I’m still drilling out the GD studs that were stuck in there. They’re fighters for sure.
Old 10-25-2017, 01:49 PM   #34
Duder
His Dudeness, El Duderino

Thank you for taking the time to make a proper thread with a clear storyline and great photos. This is exactly the type of account that got me hooked on TB in the first place, about 10 years ago. The forum seems to have gone downhill in real Volvo content but that's likely due to proliferation of social media. Anyway, thanks again, because we need more of this.

Great to see this car ended up in good hands and that you've put many miles on it. When I was considering getting my B230FT swap BAR ref'd I was corresponding with Chewy about this car. My engine is from a 1994 940 Turbo, but I had been advised by another friend to say that the donor car was a 1991 740 Turbo, since that was the last year the B230FT was available with a manual trans in the US, otherwise it would've been necessary to include the auto trans with the swap. I don't know if they could've verified the model and year from numbers on the engine, for whatever it's worth. But the physical hardware in the emissions system would all be the same.
Duder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 02:17 PM   #35
Uncleknucklez
bruspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duder View Post
Thank you for taking the time to make a proper thread with a clear storyline and great photos. This is exactly the type of account that got me hooked on TB in the first place, about 10 years ago. The forum seems to have gone downhill in real Volvo content but that's likely due to proliferation of social media. Anyway, thanks again, because we need more of this.

Great to see this car ended up in good hands and that you've put many miles on it. When I was considering getting my B230FT swap BAR ref'd I was corresponding with Chewy about this car. My engine is from a 1994 940 Turbo, but I had been advised by another friend to say that the donor car was a 1991 740 Turbo, since that was the last year the B230FT was available with a manual trans in the US, otherwise it would've been necessary to include the auto trans with the swap. I don't know if they could've verified the model and year from numbers on the engine, for whatever it's worth. But the physical hardware in the emissions system would all be the same.
I appreciate the kind words, I feel like this thread is a throwback to when the builds were builds, and men were men

I have since learned that I probably told them the wrong car when I went to smog it, like you said, 1991 740 Turbo was the way to go. And someday I may still try that.

FWIW, they checked the cat number, EGR operation, vacuum diagram, and ECU numbers, as well as the actual emissions test.
Old 10-25-2017, 06:24 PM   #36
fortbrick
Board Member

Good read. I love how simple you’re keeping this. It just works.
fortbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 03:58 PM   #37
Uncleknucklez
bruspeed

Update time,

As it turns out the source of my major vibrations were a steel Drive shaft adapter that apparently wasn't well machined. Anyways, tossed on a new Yoshi adapter, Ford Aerostar Aluminum driveshaft, and all is well again. While everything was apart, I shortened the rear trailing arms 3/4", and built some Adjustable torque rods that are a heim/poly setup.

I finished the interior off pretty much by replacing the last piece of tan interior, the Sunroof piece.

Then I drove it a bunch

Added a "Turbo" badge to the grill

And drove it to the Pacific (Stinson Beach)

It has been returned to Daily status as I sold my other car. I started a new gig just last week, so I'm glad to be at a place that I am comfortable with the car. Plans are still in effect to install the 15G and finish off the 3" exhaust. But for now, Just driving
Old 12-18-2017, 05:31 PM   #38
Tuff240
240 Ninja

Any pics of how you shortened your trailing arms? I'm assuming it was to center the wheel in the wheel well for better clearance?

-Patrick
Tuff240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 05:53 PM   #39
Uncleknucklez
bruspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuff240 View Post
Any pics of how you shortened your trailing arms? I'm assuming it was to center the wheel in the wheel well for better clearance?
I did it for a couple reasons, The drive train angles aren't ideal, and in order to get pinion angle correct, I had to tip the flange up more than I was able to with the stock setup, the wheels rubbed the back of the arches.

I don't have any pics, But i just picked a spot, cut them in "half" (not really half) and slid the small part into the big part and welded top and bottom. Because of the angles the arms are formed at, when you cut them, they fit into each other just about perfect at 3/4" overlap.
Old 12-18-2017, 06:56 PM   #40
Tfrasca
Board Member

Did you add any bracing or box them in at all? I'm sure the overlapping weld is plenty strong, I'd just be nervous about it and would probably add a plate on the top.
Tfrasca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 07:07 PM   #41
oldschoolvolvo
Board Member

Looking good. Glad you are eliminating the vibes and putting miles on the car.
oldschoolvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 11:07 PM   #42
MoCounselor
Board Member

Good God, man! Every time I see your car I want to paint mine green!!!
MoCounselor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 11:44 PM   #43
122power
dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuff240 View Post
you can see the weld in the suspension pic. Its at the edge of the picture
Old 12-19-2017, 04:18 AM   #44
JW240
All idiot, no savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duder View Post
+1! Not sure if its social media or just less RWD people..
Anyway enjoyed the reading the whole thread following the steps you've taken. I like the cars that are DD and still tuned/modified. Its hard to keep a tuned brick or any other car reliably on the road.
Nice Poly/heim TQ rods, thats a great addition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood Chair View Post
Don't forget about properly seasoning it on HF jackstands for a couple years whilst dreaming about big powah 'goals'.
JW240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 10:13 AM   #45
Uncleknucklez
bruspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfrasca View Post
Did you add any bracing or box them in at all? I'm sure the overlapping weld is plenty strong, I'd just be nervous about it and would probably add a plate on the top.
I did not add any other plate to it, I suppose I should, But I am currently satisfied with the way things went together, There is plenty of weld and penetration with that overlap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolvolvo View Post
Looking good. Glad you are eliminating the vibes and putting miles on the car.
Yeah! It's almost as fast and as comfy as new Honda Civic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoCounselor View Post
Good God, man! Every time I see your car I want to paint mine green!!!
Thanks for the kind words! This shade is a respray a few shades nicer than the original color, but I still like it a ton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW240 View Post
+1! Not sure if its social media or just less RWD people..
Anyway enjoyed the reading the whole thread following the steps you've taken. I like the cars that are DD and still tuned/modified. Its hard to keep a tuned brick or any other car reliably on the road.
Nice Poly/heim TQ rods, thats a great addition.
This car has taken it out of me for sure, They're a lot of work to own and drive. I am happy with the poly/heim rods so far, no extra NVH to speak of, So I am calling that a win.
Old 12-19-2017, 12:10 PM   #46
MadDog_945
Våga Vägra 8V

that vband is warped is it?
MadDog_945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 12:57 PM   #47
Stiggy Pop
Board Member

so you chopped 3/4" out of the trailing arm just because that's what played nicely, not exactly a measured value? That's been on my list, want to center the rear wheels so I can space them out a bit.

Car looks good!
Old 12-19-2017, 01:12 PM   #48
Uncleknucklez
bruspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiggy Pop View Post
so you chopped 3/4" out of the trailing arm just because that's what played nicely, not exactly a measured value? That's been on my list, want to center the rear wheels so I can space them out a bit.

Car looks good!
I went with the 3/4" because the handful of people that have done this before said that was the measurement they used Not trying to reinvent the wheel, and that measurement really is perfect for what I needed.

It had a number of positive effects, the Ford DS is now much closer to being the "correct" length, and allowed for more slip joint engagement (they're too short with a stock setup), there is more space to adjust pinion angle, and the wheels are much more centered in the opening.

For the couple hours it took to pull them, cut, weld, clean, paint, and re install, it is one of the better things I have done to this car.

The IPD adj panhard still works just fine, with my setup for the record.

Thanks man!
Old 12-19-2017, 01:48 PM   #49
DET17
Reformed SAABaholic

Sweet 242 project. I'll keep an eye on your progress; hope to start the res to mod of my 84 next year, just as soon as I recover from my DD completion. If you want that car to handle, with the serious front drop you have, you must install the Kaplhenke quick steer roll center correctors. Without them, your front "roll center" is several inches beneath the road surface. If you don't care about handling, then ignore this.

Feedback thread: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=198746
DET17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 03:05 PM   #50
Uncleknucklez
bruspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DET17 View Post
Sweet 242 project. I'll keep an eye on your progress; hope to start the res to mod of my 84 next year, just as soon as I recover from my DD completion. If you want that car to handle, with the serious front drop you have, you must install the Kaplhenke quick steer roll center correctors. Without them, your front "roll center" is several inches beneath the road surface. If you don't care about handling, then ignore this.
The roll steer corrector are on the short list of things I still need to buy for sure. Especially with my manual rack setup, There are a number of benefits to adding those parts.