home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 06-01-2018, 08:10 PM   #101
PromiseRing
We don't even like Volvos

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyturbos View Post
That's what I just answered. You can get them from Volvo. They are ~ $5 each. The seals that come in those generic o-ring kits are not the right size for those two connections..
So when I replaced the drier, I think I saw a larger black seal but it seemed to sit at the tapered part of the hardline, rather than slip over the threads. I obviously shouldíve paid closer attention. The seal was not an o ring shape, but rather a tapered seal similar to the top waterpump seal. Have you ever encountered this?

Really kicking myself in the ass for not paying closer attention. Live and learn.
93' 245 m47
90' 744 AW70
94' M-Edition Miata
95' Camry auto
Past:
80' 242gt m46
88' 245 m47
92' 940 turbo AW17

If you stop and think about it, itís literally not worth your time to get on TBOT every day and argue about politics.
PromiseRing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 10:03 PM   #102
2manyturbos

There is nothing like you describe in the AC system.
2manyturbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 12:08 PM   #103
PromiseRing

So in order to maintain a proper seal at the larger connections on the drier, do I need to get the parts from Volvo? Is it okay to assume that all of the smaller orings are acceptable?

Just called the dealer, they have those larger seals for $9 a piece (wow). I can grab a generic pack of orings for the rest of the system if those will be sufficient.

Last edited by PromiseRing; 06-13-2018 at 12:22 PM..
Old 06-13-2018, 08:26 PM   #104
PromiseRing

Quick emergency question. Is this threaded portion supposed to move indepently of the piece itís surrounding? I would think so. As is, I cannot turn the whole unit far enough to the correct position to create a seal, it just stops. Perhaps rust has fused it together?

Old 06-13-2018, 08:30 PM   #105
2manyturbos

Yes, it should turn freely. Use some PB Blaster to free it up.
2manyturbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 08:33 PM   #106
PromiseRing

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyturbos View Post
Yes, it should turn freely. Use some PB Blaster to free it up.
Thanks Roy!

I will upload pics of the black tapered Ďsealí i spoke of prior. Clearly it was incorrect.

Iím also replacing the orifice tube which appears to be clogged or at least partially clogged.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:05 PM   #107
Jack
junkman

If your gf can free it without using hands she’s a keeper and you should marry her tomorrow

Also inb4 my ac stopped working after a day

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishBrick
Donít bother, I would literally rather throw them away than give you the pleasure. I will never sell to you.
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 10:09 PM   #108
PromiseRing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
If your gf can free it without using hands sheís a keeper and you should marry her tomorrow

Also inb4 my ac stopped working after a day
Dude Iím hoping it just makes it through summer
Old 07-13-2018, 03:38 PM   #109
PromiseRing

1 month update. AC is still good, gets quite cold on the highway.

I have a concern. At idle, the ac sucks. The mechanical puller works well and the electric pusher comes on any time it idles with the AC on, so I believe there is sufficient airflow over the core.

What could cause poor performance at idle? The orifice tube is new and clean, and the system is charged with the 'correct' amount of ES12A. It takes a few minutes to get cold but once on the highway vent temps vary from 38F-45F. At idle,I've seen them as warm as 65F-70F, far too warm.

I've noticed that at a stop if I rev the engine to about 2250rpm, temps will drop to 60F or so.

So, she is satisfied with the AC, I am not. What can we do, parallel flow condenser, adjustable expansion valve rather than orifice tube, or perhaps more refrigerant?
Old 07-13-2018, 07:48 PM   #110
ZVOLV
<Master Tech>

Weak compressor can do that. What's the low side pressure at idle, and then during a rev?
Old 07-27-2018, 01:34 PM   #111
MichaelZLindsay

Hey

I have a 960 and it cycled fast with no cold from the ECC, one 32oz can of A/C pro fixed all these problems. I have a 1993 940 with the ECC out, once that is repaired the A/C pro will probably fix it too, if it even needs Freon.
MichaelZLindsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 02:22 PM   #112
PromiseRing

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelZLindsay View Post
Hey

I have a 960 and it cycled fast with no cold from the ECC, one 32oz can of A/C pro fixed all these problems. I have a 1993 940 with the ECC out, once that is repaired the A/C pro will probably fix it too, if it even needs Freon.
R134a is not Freon. I opted against using r134a refrigerant, though Iím sure it would work okay. It is less efficient than r12 or another refrigerant.
Old 07-28-2018, 02:10 AM   #113
90volvo
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PromiseRing View Post
1 month update. AC is still good, gets quite cold on the highway.

I have a concern. At idle, the ac sucks. The mechanical puller works well and the electric pusher comes on any time it idles with the AC on, so I believe there is sufficient airflow over the core.

What could cause poor performance at idle? The orifice tube is new and clean, and the system is charged with the 'correct' amount of ES12A. It takes a few minutes to get cold but once on the highway vent temps vary from 38F-45F. At idle,I've seen them as warm as 65F-70F, far too warm.

I've noticed that at a stop if I rev the engine to about 2250rpm, temps will drop to 60F or so.

So, she is satisfied with the AC, I am not. What can we do, parallel flow condenser, adjustable expansion valve rather than orifice tube, or perhaps more refrigerant?
Add a little more you can alway take it out. The pressure charts are just a ballpark. Ive done some car that needed more and some that worked best on the lowend.
90volvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 09:18 PM   #114
PromiseRing

still blowing cold, just takes its dear sweet time getting there. Noticed that the bottom side of the compressor is covered in green refrigerant/oil and noticed a few drops on the ground. Guess is, this has been slowly leaking for a while and is low on ES12A.

If it leaks slow enough I'm not going to replace the compressor if I don't have to. Can I replace the compressor shaft seal on a 1990 740, and what else on the compessor can leak?

I'm half tempted to get a custom line made with a high side service port.
Old 09-05-2018, 11:06 AM   #115
KeizerBrickGuy
Sh*t pot stirrer

Save up over the winter for a new compressor and just get it over with in the spring.

Get a new line made up with the a service port on the discharge hose.

No reason to chase your tail, just do iiiiit.
#mclovethesenuts

-My car: White 1991 244, 308k miles. B230F LH2.4, AW70, R134a retro. Thrush glasspack, anthracite refinished Coronas
-Wife's car: White 1990 244DL, T cam, 190k miles.B230F LH2.4, AW70 w/aux cooler, Duracool AC w/condenser fan, purple refinished Virgos, tow hitch, ipd wagon overload springs.
-PSM 2002 Subaru WRX wagon: 120k miles, Perrin TBE, Perrin turbo inlet, intake, and Y-pipe, GrimmSpeed cross pipe.
Rebuilding EJ207 shortblock to swap in this summer.
KeizerBrickGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 11:49 AM   #116
PromiseRing

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeizerBrickGuy View Post
Save up over the winter for a new compressor and just get it over with in the spring.

Get a new line made up with the a service port on the discharge hose.

No reason to chase your tail, just do iiiiit.
This vehicle had a new compressor installed in the mid 2000s, fully documented, Volvo dealer receipts. Part of me wonders if itís actually an oring leak on the back of the compressor. I will have to check when I get the time.
Old 09-05-2018, 11:59 AM   #117
KeizerBrickGuy
Sh*t pot stirrer

Ok, but how long did it sit without a charge or being cycled? Because if it doesn't get used and have oil flowing around the seals, they will shrink and fail. Look into the excessive oil, but price it out just to CYA.
Old 09-05-2018, 12:06 PM   #118
PromiseRing

Quote:
Ok, but how long did it sit without a charge or being cycled? Because if it doesn't get used and have oil flowing around the seals, they will shrink and fail. Look into the excessive oil, but price it out just to CYA.
Can't remember if it had any charge at all when I bought it, I think it did.

If the AC works as is, she's not going to want to replace the compressor entirely. However I'd much rather replace the compressor than to sling the black death that comes from a dead compressor! Wish I could get a high side reading to gauge the health of the compressor..

Besides, even these aftermarket compressors on RockAuto look like they're about $220+
Old 09-05-2018, 12:16 PM   #119
KeizerBrickGuy
Sh*t pot stirrer

The Four Seasons compressors are good. I'm pretty sure I can find you a discount code to save on one if you need.
Old 09-05-2018, 01:29 PM   #120
PromiseRing

Quote:
The Four Seasons compressors are good. I'm pretty sure I can find you a discount code to save on one if you need.
Awesome. I will contact you in the future if we decide to purchase a compressor. Thank you!
Old 09-05-2018, 01:41 PM   #121
Jack
junkman

Quote:
Awesome. I will contact you in the future if we decide to purchase a compressor. Thank you!
You wonít because youíll admit you need one or buy 6 and try to build one
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 01:56 PM   #122
PromiseRing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
You wonít because youíll admit you need one or buy 6 and try to build one
No the insides of these things scare me. Iíve taken one apart and they are pretty neat looking on the inside.
Old 09-05-2018, 02:08 PM   #123
KeizerBrickGuy
Sh*t pot stirrer

Quote:
No the insides of these things scare me. Iíve taken one apart and they are pretty neat looking on the inside.

I only go as far as replacing clutches on the models that are able, but usually if the clutch gave up the ghost the pump unit isn't far behind and we all know that a dead compressor is a nightmare to clean up in the system.
Old 09-05-2018, 02:18 PM   #124
PromiseRing

Quote:

I only go as far as replacing clutches on the models that are able, but usually if the clutch gave up the ghost the pump unit isn't far behind and we all know that a dead compressor is a nightmare to clean up in the system.
Did someone say Black Death please noooo, the horror!!
Old 09-05-2018, 02:35 PM   #125
KeizerBrickGuy
Sh*t pot stirrer