home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 05-31-2018, 06:04 PM   #126
VB242
Grr baby, grr

What order do you have the plug wires plugged into the distributor cap? head mount is 4312 left to right ( I think) block mount is 1342
Old 05-31-2018, 07:15 PM   #127
bmdubya1198
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PromiseRing View Post
Oh you meant the little thing that slides into the back of the cams slot? I didn’t know it could be removed! Glad you found it.
Yup, there is a small pin in there. I had taken it apart to replace the hall sensor (which I really didn't even need to do).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Athlon View Post
Was the cam lining up with the TDC mark as well, or just the crank?
Both the cam and crank lined up with the timing marks, yes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZVOLV View Post
Pop off the oil filler cap and see turn the engi e until the number one cam lobes are each pointed up about 45 degrees= number 1 TDC. Can't hurt to pull a plug and make sure piston is at the r
Top. Also camt hurt to check timing. And compression. Ok, now you're at number 1 known TDCcheck the rotor and make sure it's pointing to number 1 contact within the dist cap.

You smacked out the dowel on the dist at some point and took the key off!?

That's why I have the no start thread linked in my sig. We've been saying all along to run it on ether.
I'll double check, but I see no reason the cam shouldn't be in the correct position. I pulled the #1 plug to make sure the piston was at TDC, and it was.

I did remove the key, see above. I just got done putting it all back together the right way. Ended up getting the pickup plate straight enough, and I went ahead and replaced the dizzy housing seal (which FCP forgot in that order) while I had it apart again.
Rain's coming down now, so in the morning I'll get it back together and at that point there is NO reason it should not run.
bmdubya1198 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 10:56 PM   #128
ZVOLV
<Master Tech>

Don't be conservative with the brake cleaner/ether. Blast that down the throttle a few times and crank it by yourself from under the hood. Just turn the key to on and manually fire the starter with 12v applied to the solenoid terminal or wire using a jumper wire.
Old 05-31-2018, 11:50 PM   #129
bmdubya1198
Board Member

Quote:
Don't be conservative with the brake cleaner/ether. Blast that down the throttle a few times and crank it by yourself from under the hood. Just turn the key to on and manually fire the starter with 12v applied to the solenoid terminal or wire using a jumper wire.
I should be able to get it going tomorrow. No reason it shouldn’t run now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VB242 View Post
What order do you have the plug wires plugged into the distributor cap? head mount is 4312 left to right ( I think) block mount is 1342
Yup, they were correct, 4312. It shows the numbers on the cap.
Old 06-01-2018, 01:06 PM   #130
bmdubya1198
Board Member

Okay, got the dizzy on and it runs on ether! I couldn't get it started by jumping the fuel relay terminals, though. I want to pull the fuse panel up in a little bit and inspect it once again for corrosion or loose wires.
I highly doubt the problem is the relay itself, but I guess anything's possible.
Old 06-01-2018, 02:16 PM   #131
PromiseRing
We don't even like Volvos

You for sure jumped all 3 connectors in the relay panel, right? If you only jumped the pump, your RSR will not receive power. You already knew this from page 1 of this thread though, but just reminding you in case.

Remove the RSR and jump 12v straight from the battery to the wire that runs to the injectors. Or you can bridge the red wire (constant 12v) to the injector wire. Doing it straight from the battery eliminates the possibility of faulty wiring on that side of the wiring.

Anway, I’ve found RSRs to be extremely annoying and finicky even when they appear to be clicking and functioning properly.

Not entirely sure if your wires will be the same color, but they should. On a turbo car this relay is on the drivers side I believe, but you’ll need to check.
-93' 245 m47-iPd sways, B-cam
-90' 744 AW70:( stock as a rock
-94' M-Edition Miata-Stock with a hardtop
Past
-80' 242gt m46-
-88' 245 m47-Welded diff, gutted, 13g
-92' 940 turbo, got for free, fixed, sold
Feedback Thread

can't replace u joints
PromiseRing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 04:06 PM   #132
bmdubya1198
Board Member

Yeah, I tried that previously and it made no difference. I for sure have a full 12 volts at the injectors, so I don't think the RSR is a problem.

I checked the connections at the fuel system relay for the same readings as their corresponding pins at LH, and everything lined up, so the problem has to be within the relay.
Apparently, LH pin 21 is supposed to show battery voltage with the key on, and mine only shows 1.72 volts, but it shows 12V with it off. I haven't tried it with the jumper, but I will.
LH pin 21 is connected to 86/1 at the fuel system relay, and that shows the same reading with the relay in place.

I also noticed FSR terminal 85 shows 12.3V with the key on, while LH pin 17 shows 11.94V. Is that a difference to worry about? That voltage drop would lie within the wire. Or at the boost over pressure switch or the right a-post connector.
Old 06-02-2018, 04:02 PM   #133
lummert
Board Member

Did you bypass the boost pressure over-pressure switch?
Old 06-02-2018, 06:18 PM   #134
bmdubya1198
Board Member

Pulled the rail and injectors and the injectors are NOT spraying at all. When I removed the number 1 injector from the rail, plenty of fuel came out, so there is definitely gas at the rail.
After some testing, this is what I've come to...

Pin 21 on LH2.2 is the control signal to the fuel system relay. According to the document I've been using, it's supposed to show battery voltage in key position 2. With the key off, I have 12 volts, but in KP2, I only have about 1.72 volts. While cranking, it shows 1.6 volts. According to the document I am supposed to have 0-1 volt. Strange that goes over and the KP2 voltage is ridiculously low.
My question, though, is how accurate is this information? Am I supposed to have ~1.7V or 12V? That pin is connected to the fuel relay terminal 86/1. That pin shows the exact same voltage readings as the LH terminal.
Interestingly enough, this shows to be an ECU-switched ground, like pin 13 for the injectors... which doesn't work either.

I also noticed that there is a voltage drop between the fuel relay pin 85 and 86/2. 85 shows ~12.3V while both 86/2 and LH pin 17 show ~11.8V. The only way that could be a problem is the relay.

LH pin 9 (power to ECU) shows over 12 volts in KP2, and 10 while cranking. That should be sufficient, yes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lummert View Post
Did you bypass the boost pressure over-pressure switch?
I had done it before with no change, but I can try it again.
Old 06-02-2018, 09:37 PM   #135
PromiseRing

Wait, if you pulled the rail and injectors, did you make sure to connect the grounds on the mani? Won’t spray if not. A noid light is useful here.
Old 06-03-2018, 09:14 AM   #136
bmdubya1198
Board Member

Yeah, the grounds were reconnected. I meant to check with the noid light, but it slipped my mind at the time.
Old 06-03-2018, 12:08 PM   #137
ZVOLV
<Master Tech>

Disable spark or fire will happen.
ZVOLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 02:31 PM   #138
bmdubya1198
Board Member

Quote:
Disable spark or fire will happen.
Good call.
Old 06-03-2018, 09:17 PM   #139
ZVOLV
<Master Tech>

Before I really knew what I was doing....or maybe if I'm severely undertooled, I have pulled the fuel rail, reconnected the grounds and fire the starter with the key to see if the injectors would spray. One time, I started a fire.

If you just pull a coil wire, secondary OR primary, you may still have spark jump a gap. You may want to pull both small wires off the coil and insulate them too. Or pull fuses, etc
Old 06-04-2018, 07:08 PM   #140
bmdubya1198
Board Member

After testing today and looking REALLY closely at the noid light, I can confirm that I have injector pulse. This was with the fuel system relay in place, not with the jumper, so the relay is not a problem. I think that problem is solved!
Maybe it's because of the resistor and low resistance injector setup that the noid light blinks so dim? Or is that normal?

Anyway, the car still won't start. I think the only plausible cause at this point is that all four injectors are cooked. The only way I think this could have happened is when the previous owner tried to fix the old ballast resistor, and managed to have all four injector wires make contact without first passing through the resistor. Probably cooked all four injectors and the old ECU.
Are we all in agreement here? Any other ideas before I buy a set of injectors? Any way to test them besides listening to them or pulling them and testing for spray again?
Old 06-04-2018, 07:19 PM   #141
PromiseRing

So maybe you just have a weak injector pulse?
Old 06-04-2018, 08:24 PM   #142
bmdubya1198
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PromiseRing View Post
So maybe you just have a weak injector pulse?
I thought about that too. How would that be possible? Weak ground? I really don't think it's a power issue being that I have 12 volts at each injector with the key on.
Old 06-04-2018, 08:34 PM   #143
TestPoint
Board Member

I spent months resolving injector problems and with a new set the problems went away. Thought it was magic. That is not diagnostic testing but simple results.

1982 Volvo 245 with a Ford 302 V8

Ford V8 Conversion Manual -
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=250257

Bertone Restoration - http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=256460
TestPoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 09:03 PM   #144
ZVOLV
<Master Tech>

Does a test light illuminate brightly when you connect it between injector positive and a known good ground?

Resistance test injectors.
Old 06-04-2018, 10:12 PM   #145
TestPoint
Board Member

There are mechanical issues beyond resistance.
TestPoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 11:51 PM   #146
bmdubya1198
Board Member

Quote:
Does a test light illuminate brightly when you connect it between injector positive and a known good ground?

Resistance test injectors.
Last I checked yes, it was bright. I can check again just to make sure.

I’ll check resistance once more. Last time I checked all were around 2.6 ohms, within spec for a low resistance injector.
Old 06-04-2018, 11:53 PM   #147
bmdubya1198
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TestPoint View Post
There are mechanical issues beyond resistance.
That’s what I figured being that the resistance of my injectors are within spec.
Old 06-05-2018, 03:12 PM   #148
bmdubya1198
Board Member

With all injector connectors removed, I got 12.06V at all four positive terminals. 0V at negative, although when I first tested them it showed up to 0.2 (may have been 0.02), but after going over all of them again it showed 0.
Battery voltage was 12.25V. Is this an acceptable drop?
Old 06-05-2018, 03:22 PM   #149
ZVOLV
<Master Tech>

Huh? People here focus too much on voltage down to the decimal point. Meh.

Proper method is a test lamp. 12v can pass thru one strand of wire, but not operate a circuit. Or a noid light, for example. And btw are you doing this while cranking? Noid light Lit up dimly key on isn't right, (with they key on, not cranking)
Old 06-05-2018, 04:11 PM   #150
bmdubya1198
Board Member

Eh, I guess it’s fine then. Probably just the injectors. All showed 2.9 ohms, by the way.

I tested the pulse while cranking, obviously. The noid light was not lit with the key on, only pulsed while cranking.