home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 06-10-2018, 10:08 PM   #1
thessejway
Board Member

Default Jesse's 945 Turbo

A little over a year ago I bought my 1993 945 Turbo

It was my first car and something that I had long waited to buy while I was in school.
Now that I was graduated and had my first big boy job lined up. I needed a way to get there and back each day.

The previous owners had taken taken very good care of it since they bought it in 2000(2 owners previous to them).
They originally intended to use the car for a short amount of time, but loved it so much that they decided to keep it around. the last couple years of their ownership they used it very little and decided it was time to let poor Putt putt(their name for it) go.

At 287,000kms it was super clean, Essentially no rust except for the cowl

(Excuse the "glowy" image quality, they will get better)

First Work I did when I got the car

-Full brake job

-New Ball Joints

-Replaced broken indicator light

-Resolved some issues with the tail light wiring
-The cabin fan was fill of leaves... so I cleaned that out

-Used these wheels with spacers for a bit

-Picked up the TSW Blade wheels for $100

At this point I was getting antsy for some performance mods and began slapping a few of those on throughout the summer
I will start posting those in the next update
thessejway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:07 PM   #2
thessejway
Board Member

Default Curbs are not friends

I’m Going to try to Summarize everything I did from a year ago (June 2017) until October 2017 in this post

Unfortunately most of the photos are crap because of my camera so you'll have to bear with me until I get to more recent work with slightly better photos

I was getting sick of the stock crackly radio, so I went ahead and installed a nice pioneer deck and to fit it into the stock radio mounts I designed and 3D printed a custom bezel. Unfortunately my print quality wasn't the greatest, but I was too lazy to spend the 8 or so hours to reprint it.

I can make the 3D file available if anyone would like it

Before I got to messing around with upping the boost I put in a boost gauge

with an enclosure I also designed and 3D printed

From there I went straight to putting in a simple mbc and raising the boost to 12psi
This added some much needed power and made the car a blast to drive. Especially being the first turbo car I had ever driven.

I drove it like this for a few thousand kilometers and in that time did some basic maintenance, such as a coolant flush, replaced the fuel filter, synthetic oil and filter also put in new spark plugs and a cold air intake for added whooshing noises.

The timing belt was last replaced in 2005 at 214,000kms so with the age alone I figured I should probably replace it. I was also sitting at 295,000kms so it was about time either way.

Also splurged a bit and threw in an IPD Turbo camshaft
Figured now while I was doing the timing belt was as good a time as any

I could immediately tell there was a difference after putting in the camshaft giving me much more high end torque. The engine no longer sounded like it was about to explode above 4000 rpm

At this point I had been using my car everyday on my 90 km commute to work for a couple months and was getting pretty tired of the body roll from the stock suspension. I knew this car was something I was going to keep for long time and decided I was okay with putting a little more money into it.

After a little saving I bit the bullet and invested in some BC Coilovers. I know they aren't the first choice of most turbobrickers, but they were the easiest to get in Canada and I wanted the adjust-ability.

It wasn't until they arrived at my door and I opened the package that I realized the front coilovers needed to be welded the the existing knuckles. I didn't have a welder, so this was a slight issue.

Lucky for me Canadian tire had their "MasterCrap" brand welder on sale for 60% off so I picked one of those up for a couple hundred bucks and began teaching myself a skill that I had been wanting to learn for a long time

It is a pretty easy welder to use and didn't take me long to get the hang of it. when I felt ready I decided to go ahead and install the coilovers.

Doing the rears only took about an hour but the fronts was a full day and a half job.

Really wish I had taken more pictures of the process

Unfortunately I don't have anymore pictures of it right after installing the coilovers....because 2 minutes into My test drive I broke a tie rod end that most have been weakened during the install. This sent me out of control on the wet road and had me drive directly into a curb, where my freshly lowered car hit subframe first deploying the airbags (which did nothing but burn the crap out of my forearms) and did a 180° jump off the road and onto the grass next to it.

Here’s the aftermath. The direction that the car is facing is where is was coming from(****ty arrow to illustrate). I hit the Curb hard enough to spin a full 180

No more than 50 meters up the street someone crashed their bently into a pole within about 10 minutes of my accident. So that made me feel a little better about it(unfortunately didn’t get a picture of this)

Here's the damage

With my luck, I managed to wreck 3 of my 4 wheels from hitting the curb

This one got it real bad

Here's the subframe where the brunt of the hit was taken (you can see the detached tie rod in the foreground)

so yeah... not good at all

I don't have a picture of this but one of the places where the high pressure line for the steering rack attaches broke right off.

I couldn't drive the car so I had it towed the 800meters home.

At this point it was the end of October, the weather was getting colder and I didn't have a place to work on the car indoors and I needed a way to get to and from work. So I put off fixing it and decided to buy a cheap reliable car that I could depend on for my long commutes throughout the winter. I swallowed my pride and bought this boring 2005 Base model Matrix with 150k kms on it. complete with manual windows, manual locks, no AC and a manual transmission.

And there my Volvo sat for the winter being no more useful than a brick as I planned what I was going to do with it come spring and sourced all the parts I was going to need to get poor old Putt Putt back on the road.
Old Yesterday, 03:40 PM   #3
MadDog_945
Våga Vägra 8V

awww man.. that sucks... but nice car.. 93 is best year!
MadDog_945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:58 PM   #4
thessejway
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDog_945 View Post
awww man.. that sucks... but nice car.. 93 is best year!
Yeah really has sucked
But its given me more reason and motivation to get into it and do some work that will in the end make it a much better car

Couldn't have picked a better Volvo
Old Today, 01:35 AM   #5
JerryJS8
der Junge

Son of a punk rocker, suck to have that happen!

Glad to hear you're getting the parts together for more fun, can't wait to see what plans you have for old Putt Putt.

And keep it up with the 3d printing. On that faceplate it looks like your printbed wasn't leveled properly, otherwise cool idea.
- 1990 744 16v (pegleg drift can)
- 1992 480 (Renault disaster)

- 1989 745 16v
- 1991 744 (SE) Turbo 16v (restauration project)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordmaschine View Post
Try to recreate and see what happens, our crystall ball servers are currrently down.
JerryJS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:59 AM   #6
thessejway
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryJS8 View Post
Son of a punk rocker, suck to have that happen!

Glad to hear you're getting the parts together for more fun, can't wait to see what plans you have for old Putt Putt.

And keep it up with the 3d printing. On that faceplate it looks like your printbed wasn't leveled properly, otherwise cool idea.
Unfortunately still not on the road, but I've made good progress on my work
Hope to have the thread all up to date soon

Yeah that's exactly the problem I had with the print. Just sucks that I didn't notice until after it completed. Hope to reprint it soon when I get a chance. But that is just another low priority item on my long list of things to do