home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 10-29-2019, 09:58 PM   #826
Tfrasca
Board Member

So I started working on tings for the 16 valve. I never liked the stock motor mounts I had on my 8 valve, so I used some 240 torque rods to make mounts that attach to the frame rails. This will be much more solid, and allow for tighter clearance to other things in the engine bay. I'll also be able to drop the subframe without thinking about the engine, which is nice. The driver side one still needs a gusset.

By the end of the process, I started to figure out my MIG with 3/16 plate. I'm confident all of it will stay together, but the beads didn't start looking decent until the last part I made.

This is how the engine is sitting with the new mounts. Higher up than my old mounts, and a bit closer to the firewall, I think.

Obviously the stock heater valve won't work. So if someone needs a NOS, slightly used heater valve, I'm your guy. I may try to do something similar to the bulkhead fitting that STS Machining makes.
Tfrasca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 01:20 PM   #827
Tfrasca
Board Member

I just put the stock B234 exhaust manifold on to see if there would be room for a down pipe, and there's no way it'll work on a 140 with the engine so close to the firewall. So now I'm deciding between the Yosihfab 8v manifold adapter, or making a custom manifold. The ease of the adapter route is tempting, but I know it's a compromise, and still doesn't address my external wastegate problem.
Old 10-30-2019, 01:25 PM   #828
Stiggy Pop
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfrasca View Post
So now I'm deciding between the Yosihfab 8v manifold adapter, or making a custom manifold.
it's fun watching the scope creep in real time!
Old 10-30-2019, 02:01 PM   #829
Harlard
Hurlurd?Harland?Bueller?

Also, story of my life.

Herr Harlard am Erstens

1979 242 DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by t8fanning View Post
My knob has a big chunk of steel on it
Harlard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 02:40 PM   #830
AndrewNance
Amateur hour!

I’m glad this is you and not me . The hassle of figuring all of that out is not something I want to do again. Probably because I’m still not done.

AndrewNance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 04:02 PM   #831
Tfrasca
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewNance View Post
Iím glad this is you and not me . The hassle of figuring all of that out is not something I want to do again. Probably because Iím still not done.
Yeah, I literally JUST got done figuring this all out for the 8 valve.
Old 10-30-2019, 05:57 PM   #832
Vol242vo
Keep it clean...

Whoohoo!

-Project Thread-
Vol242vo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 09:05 PM   #833
Tfrasca
Board Member

Not much of an update, but I did get one thing done. On my 8v setup, I had a little 70 amp alternator because it's all I could easily fit at the time. The steering idler arm bracket takes up a lot of space where the alternator wants to be on the passenger side.

With the new engine, I really wanted more amps, so I made a bracket to fit a Volvo 100 amp alternator. The really short belts keep it tucked in far enough to clear the idler bracket.

I also got the collector that I want to use for the divided manifold. I still don't know if all this twinscroll stuff will fit, but I'll give it a shot.

I'll also want to port the inlet to the turbine housing so it matches a t4 flange, but that's no big deal.

I'm still waiting on a stainless head flange from Yoshifab, then I can start mocking this up. The back up plan is sending the 1.00 T4 housing back and getting a .85 v-band housing and making a manifold for that.
Old 12-04-2019, 02:40 AM   #834
cosbySweater
Board Member

You could pair the cylinders prior to the collector to save room. Just a thought
2002 BMW 540i Msport 6speed
1995 Porsche 993
2013 VW Passat TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by bricktop420 View Post
Thank you very much everybody... i now feel sufficiently retarded and will go cry in the corner...
cosbySweater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 10:26 AM   #835
Vol242vo
Keep it clean...

Beautimous!
Vol242vo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 10:34 AM   #836
Tfrasca
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosbySweater View Post
You could pair the cylinders prior to the collector to save room. Just a thought
Yeah, there are some nice collectors designed for that. Might be an option.
Old 12-04-2019, 02:44 PM   #837
cosbySweater
Board Member

https://monkeyfabgarage.com/collecti...2-00-butt-weld

That's what I use
Old 12-04-2019, 02:59 PM   #838
Tfrasca
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosbySweater View Post
Nice. The only thing making me avoid this is how tricky it will be to join the pair of runners into one, compared to just fitting each runner to the collector. I would basically have to make half a collector twice, then fit those to the Monkeyfab collector.
Old 12-04-2019, 09:45 PM   #839
cosbySweater
Board Member

Well how much room do you have?
Old 12-22-2019, 06:54 PM   #840
Tfrasca
Board Member

I have another non-update. The exhaust manifold was on hold while I waited for a stainless head flange. I got sick of waiting and just ordered a mild steel one, so I can start tinkering with that for real soon.

In the meantime, I got a hold of a Ford Sierra intake manifold. I'll need to make a Volvo head flange and have Noah weld that on, but other than that, it looks like it'll work.

This will roughly be the clearance from the plenum to the 7" brake booster i got. Should be good.

The TB inlet elbow thing is supposed to go on the bottom of the plenum, but it would interfere with the steering shaft on my car. I'm thinking that I could flip the plenum over and run the TB coming off the top. Might look goofy, but if it clears the hood, I'm ok with it. Flipping the plenum might also make fuel rail fitment a pain, but I'll deal with that later. The other option is to hack up the manifold a bunch and make room for a TB inlet at the front.

I also need to figure out if the stock Ford TB is big enough. The inlet is about 2 1/8", which is way smaller than the 960 TB that we like to use here. I actually didn't like that big TB for drivability on the 8v, so it would be cool to find Ford people making decent peak power on a stock TB.

Old 12-22-2019, 07:03 PM   #841
Harlard
Hurlurd?Harland?Bueller?

The smaller TB diameter should not be a problem.

Have you also considered running some manual brakes and a balance bar or Hydroboost?
Old 12-22-2019, 07:20 PM   #842
Tfrasca
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlard View Post
The smaller TB diameter should not be a problem.

Have you also considered running some manual brakes and a balance bar or Hydroboost?
I definitely don't want manual brakes. It's a street car, and I don't want such high pedal effort. I've thought a lot about hydroboost, but I don't have power steering, so it would involve rigging up an electric pump just for the that.
Old 12-22-2019, 07:33 PM   #843
Harlard
Hurlurd?Harland?Bueller?

Add more scope creep with a Mustang 2 front end setup with rack and pinion power steering?
Old 12-22-2019, 08:36 PM   #844
Tfrasca
Board Member

double post
Old 12-22-2019, 08:38 PM   #845
Tfrasca
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlard View Post
Add more scope creep with a Mustang 2 front end setup with rack and pinion power steering?
It has crossed my mind. And now that the engine is hanging on the frame and not the crossmember, it would be easier. But I don't really know what a Mustang 2 setup gets me over the stock SLA suspension on the 140. And when I do power steering, I'll probably do electric.
Old 12-22-2019, 10:34 PM   #846
Harlard
Hurlurd?Harland?Bueller?

Nothing other than the rack. I like a good rack.
Old 12-23-2019, 10:10 PM   #847
vwbusman66
Eisen-Stein

Quote:
I have another non-update. The exhaust manifold was on hold while I waited for a stainless head flange. I got sick of waiting and just ordered a mild steel one, so I can start tinkering with that for real soon.

In the meantime, I got a hold of a Ford Sierra intake manifold. I'll need to make a Volvo head flange and have Noah weld that on, but other than that, it looks like it'll work.

This will roughly be the clearance from the plenum to the 7" brake booster i got. Should be good.
What booster????
How much fab work will you have to do to make it work?
the only problem with that is what you define as cheap and fast
vwbusman66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 11:26 PM   #848
jmc0369
Board Member

Quote:
I definitely don't want manual brakes. It's a street car, and I don't want such high pedal effort. I've thought a lot about hydroboost, but I don't have power steering, so it would involve rigging up an electric pump just for the that.
I thought a properly designed manual brake system is awesome as it provides several orders of magnitude of leverage with superior pedal feel. I was persuaded by what I’ve read to start collecting parts for that future delete. Tilton or Wilwood pedals.

"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery; only ourselves can free our minds" - you know who!

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society" - Jidu Krishnamurti
jmc0369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 12:14 AM   #849
Tfrasca
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwbusman66 View Post
What booster????
How much fab work will you have to do to make it work?
Itís one of those generic dual diaphragm 7Ē booster that Summit sells. Iíll have to cut the extension piece back a bit and weld a new flange onto it to accept the new booster. The stock master may work with the holes enlarged, or Iíll have to get a new one.
Old 12-24-2019, 12:16 AM   #850
Tfrasca
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc0369 View Post
I thought a properly designed manual brake system is awesome as it provides several orders of magnitude of leverage with superior pedal feel. I was persuaded by what Iíve read to start collecting parts for that future delete. Tilton or Wilwood pedals.
Pretty sure a manual system is always going to have a harder pedal feel when compared to a similar booster system. Thereís just no way to get better leverage without a longer pedal throw, unless you add some kind of assist.