home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 06-08-2020, 12:09 AM   #1
3wagons
Board Member

Default Walter, the beige 83 242

Since my other 242 has a build thread, I suppose the 83 does as well. I found this 83 DL in the classifieds and couldn't pass it up. Convinced the wife she really needed a beach trip and that we needed another Volvo. The car was located near Daytona, Florida. After speaking with the owner, I agreed to buy the car sight unseen. 8 hours and a 2 mile test drive later, the title was in my hand. We parked it at the hotel for a couple days while then set out on a mostly uneventful 520 mile trip home. Only issue was 60 miles from home the fuel pump lost power on the interstate. A quick spin of the fuse and power was restored.

The car overall is in great condition. It has some of the best door panels I've seen on a 242. The only rust seems to be in the lower corner of the driver side quarter panel.

Currently the AC compressor is locked up, so no AC or power steering. The throttle cable housing is broke and needs replaced, and its missing the door pockets. I've already swapped another glove box lock in and swapped a taillight in from my 82 since it was missing the reverse light lenses on the driver side.

The engine and tranny will need to be pulled at some point for a paint and reseal. I'll probably repaint under the hood at the same time. The exterior is going to get a good polishing and limited touch up in a couple spots.

The rust in the quarter

The kids have already named it Walter and are adamant that he is never leaving. I suppose this will be more of a restoration. No plans to modify anything here, just take it back to original.

Front row parking at the hotel in Daytona.

B23 in need of a good clean up.

Some more before shots from under the hood

A few shots of the interior

Oreo is upset because the car only moved a foot, and he was expecting to go for a ride.

So DL it doesn't have a passenger mirror

At home with the others

And a final shot after it demanded inside storage
92 745
94 945
3wagons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 09:55 PM   #2
James M
Probably colorblind

Yes beige & brown, you sir have the right taste in color combos
1983 242 I need more BEIGE
Don't let me get another
1976 245, "Matcha" green, will be restored to stock
1984 245, Flaxon Yellow beute that I didn't know I needed
James M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 10:10 PM   #3
white855T
Board Member

If you get tired of those door panels, you can sell them to me...
white855T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 11:26 PM   #4
3wagons
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James M View Post
Yes beige & brown, you sir have the right taste in color combos
Seems to be a popular trend on here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by white855T View Post
If you get tired of those door panels, you can sell them to me...
lol. let me find a nicer set first! The 82 is about to loan its door pockets and armrest to it for a bit. Still need to pull the door panels and latches and clean everything up and get it working correctly. Drivers door only opens from the outside right now.
Old 06-09-2020, 07:34 AM   #5
white855T
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3wagons View Post

lol. let me find a nicer set first! The 82 is about to loan its door pockets and armrest to it for a bit. Still need to pull the door panels and latches and clean everything up and get it working correctly. Drivers door only opens from the outside right now.
Having multiple volvos allows you to 'steal/borrow' parts.
Old 06-09-2020, 11:06 AM   #6
John242Ti
LH-Jet & Carb Free Zone

Nice score. Definitely keep this one stock. With a few caveats... That doesn't mean that you can't throw the accessory brochure at it, nor do upgrades to make it handle better, etc...

1982 242Ti - black, M46. 1985 245Ti - blue, M46.

@1982_volvo_242_turbo on IG
John242Ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 07:14 PM   #7
3wagons
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John242Ti View Post
Nice score. Definitely keep this one stock. With a few caveats... That doesn't mean that you can't throw the accessory brochure at it, nor do upgrades to make it handle better, etc...
Thanks John. I would like to run down a small tach and it appears that it had a center armrest at some point. Both of those items are down the road though.

Right now, the to-do list consists of:
Finding the vacuum leak
Replace the throttle cable since the housing is broke
sort out the AC compressor issue so I at least have power steering
replace the shifter bushings
Fix the exhaust leak
Ditch the screaming race fuel pump and install something quieter
plus a good detail job.
Old 06-10-2020, 10:07 PM   #8
3wagons
Board Member

Spent this evening working on the AC compressor, (after spending all morning working on my 92 745 swapping thermostats and sorting out the AC and dash vent issues). The PO said that the air worked when he bought the car, but shortly after the compressor locked up and smoked the belt. The clutch was locked down tight, but being optimistic I couldn't see the comp and clutch both being locked down.

I proceeded to pull the clutch off the York compressor which was a lot easier than I imagined. Remove the center bolt and threaded in a 5/8-11 bolt in the center of the clutch. 1/4 turn of the bolt and the clutch was free off the shaft. As luck would have it, the bearing had disintegrated and locked the clutch down, taking out the coil in the process. I decided to steal the clutch off the 82 for the time being. I ended up renting an AC clutch holding tool to aid in removing this one. Cleaned up the 'new' clutch and coil and installed in on the 83. Power steering has been restored, but seems the coil isn't getting power. Haven't tried to jumper it yet nor checked the system pressure. 10 hours in the shop between 2 cars and being up all night, I'm calling it a day.

Old 06-22-2020, 08:10 PM   #9
3wagons
Board Member

Decided to repaint the wheels for now. Best $7 I think I have spent on a car.

My son helping out until he saw a grass hopper and had to abandon the shop.

Spent some time removing all the grime off the backs of the wheels. No after pic, but they are silver again.

Got carried away and failed to take some good before pics. I clean the front of the wheels with a red Scotch Brite pad and then washed them with comet. After they dried, I sprayed a couple coats of Duplicolor engine primer leftover from another project and some Duplicolor Rally Wheel paint from Walmart. The index cards worked well for masking.

Cleaned up the front hubs as well.

2 of the center caps were in pretty rough shape. I masked them with Tamiya tape trimmed with an exacto knife. I sprayed them with some black engine paint from the stash.

The Center caps were cleaned with 0000 steal wool and hand polished with some Wexol polish I had laying around. Total cost was $7 for the can of silver paint from Walmart.
Old 06-22-2020, 08:29 PM   #10
white855T
Board Member

It's simple things like this that make big improvements. Looking good.
Old 06-23-2020, 01:38 AM   #11
Vol242vo
Keep it clean...

Great find. Nice job bringing those caps back to life!

-Project Thread-

Follow on IG: @vol242vo
Vol242vo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 01:40 AM   #12
Scaramanga
Board Member

Yeah! Well done! Those wheels look great
Old 06-29-2020, 05:58 PM   #13
3wagons
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaramanga View Post
Yeah! Well done! Those wheels look great
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vol242vo View Post
Great find. Nice job bringing those caps back to life!
Quote:
It's simple things like this that make big improvements. Looking good.
Thanks! Cant decide if I'm going to run down some beauty rings or not. I have 3, but they are pretty rough.
Old 06-29-2020, 06:16 PM   #14
3wagons
Board Member

Finally had some time to get a few little things done.

First thing was to get the exhaust leak fixed. The flange before the cat was rotted out. 30 bucks and a trip to the local exhaust shop later, I can hear myself think again while driving.

A quick parting shop while they were lowering it down.

After a quite ride to the house, next on the list was the throttle cable.

The adjuster was broken on the original.

Out with the old,

In with the new.

Next on the list was new shift linkage bushing.

New bushings are on the left, original are on the right....

I cleaned the linkage while it was out.

It was easier to get the bushing for the trans end installed by removing this.

Reinstalled. Nice to be able to tell what gear you are in.
Old 06-29-2020, 06:23 PM   #15
3wagons
Board Member

At some point, I'm going to have to rework this setup. Previous owner replaced the HP pump with a DW pump. I believe he said it was a 150IL, but I have only seen a 250IL and a 350IL. Also, the intank pump has been deleted. Works well, but it is pretty loud. I'm leaning towards using a 700 series intank pump and try to make the DW pump run a little quieter.
Old 06-29-2020, 07:19 PM   #16
white855T
Board Member

Quote:
At some point, I'm going to have to rework this setup. Previous owner replaced the HP pump with a DW pump. I believe he said it was a 150IL, but I have only seen a 250IL and a 350IL. Also, the intank pump has been deleted. Works well, but it is pretty loud. I'm leaning towards using a 700 series intank pump and try to make the DW pump run a little quieter.
Restore it to stock. It ain't a race car. Get you a Bosch main fuel pump and get the the turbo intake pump(rock auto best prices). Also get a fuel filter. Don't mess with someone else's shoddy work. Every single Volvo that I've bought includes undoing what someone else did.
Old 07-02-2020, 04:39 PM   #17
3wagons
Board Member

Quote:
Restore it to stock..... Every single Volvo that I've bought includes undoing what someone else did.
Agreed. My 82 242 has a Walbro 255 intank supposedly. Judging by the blown fuses, and multiple fuel pump relays that were included, I imagine they tried running the pump on the original rotten wiring for the intank pump....

I'm going to investigate the fuel pump issue more this weekend. I have new nylon hose and a new fuel filter laying around as well as the Dorman tool for the nylon line. The current pump works for now, but I'll go ahead and be collecting parts. New sending unit, pumps, lines....

This weekends project will most likely be new inner tierods and boots. Outers are fresh, but the driver side inner has about 1/8 play. Parts are here, just waiting on inspiration. Focusing on getting it mechanically restored before worrying about the cosmetics too much.
Old 07-02-2020, 10:39 PM   #18
James M
Probably colorblind

Quote:
Works well, but it is pretty loud. I'm leaning towards using a 700 series intank pump and try to make the DW pump run a little quieter.
Unfix the exhaust leak and the pump won't be an issue any more.

Love the rim and center cap cleanup, needed the push to do it myself and this looks good enough to give it a go
James M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 11:28 AM   #19
3wagons
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James M View Post
Unfix the exhaust leak and the pump won't be an issue any more.

Love the rim and center cap cleanup, needed the push to do it myself and this looks good enough to give it a go
I used some Tamiya tape for the center caps. The 6mm width worked great for masking the round edge.
Old 07-07-2020, 11:34 AM   #20
3wagons
Board Member

Its always nice when a simple project snowballs a bit. I went to replace the headlights and found that the turn signal wiring was rotten. Ordered some pigtails from Dave Barton to rewire them.

Old 07-08-2020, 09:57 PM   #21
3wagons
Board Member

Waiting on some wires, so might as well clean up and detail the parts I've taken off.

I cleaned the marker light housings with a gray Scotchbrite pad and Comet.

I masked off the formerly chrome center. Sometimes Sem Trim Black doesn't play well with other paints so I masked the center, sprayed the outer edge black, then masked the edge and sprayed the center.

Outside edge sprayed, now time to paint the center. I used some Walmart 'Chrome' silver paint.

I wouldn't call that chrome by any stretch, but will probably be a little brighter than the mostly black housing.
Old 07-08-2020, 10:38 PM   #22
Centsableone
SNAFU - BOHICA

"Walter" is a lucky 242. He will most likely have great care and live a long time. In turn he will provide you with some economical transpo. All around good deal! Keep photos and updates coming.
Good Job.

Sale and Purchase Feedback

Centsableone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 11:10 PM   #23
white855T
Board Member

That Walmart chrome doesn't look too bad at all. Rotten wires is to be expected. All in due course.
Old 07-12-2020, 07:38 AM   #24
3wagons
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centsableone View Post
"Walter" is a lucky 242. He will most likely have great care and live a long time. In turn he will provide you with some economical transpo. All around good deal! Keep photos and updates coming.
Good Job.
Thanks! Right now, this one has weekend car status. I would consider this project more of a preservation than a restoration even. No plans to really modify anything, just get everything back to factory. Hopefully it stays around for a while, then goes on to another good home. Maybe a 122 will take its place eventually.

Quote:
That Walmart chrome doesn't look too bad at all. Rotten wires is to be expected. All in due course.
I had hoped for a little more shine out of it, but anything is an improvement. There were a couple other options that might have been a little more chrome-like, but they were indoor only.
Old 07-12-2020, 07:49 AM   #25
3wagons
Board Member

Still haven't had time to get everything back together. I have been wanting to try my brass tumbler out on some hardware for a while. I use it for cleaning ammo cases for reloading and it works great but was curious if it would clean nuts and bolts. I tossed all of the front end hardware in my usual mix of crushed walnut shells with a capfull of Nu-finish car polish. I usually run my brass for 24 hours or so. I had to pull the plug on the shop after about 6 hours (waiting on the county for my electrical permit), so I still need to run the tumbler for a few more hours. No progress shots, but I believe this may work.

I cleaned the headlight retainers with 0000 steel wool. Probably not worth the time since only the front edge shows, but it made a difference.

My wires are in, but haven't had a chance to crimp them on yet. I polished the chrome around the grill and the headlight surrounds with toothpaste of all things. It did surprising well. Everything else has been staged on the 82 242 workbench awaiting installation.