home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 08-18-2018, 04:50 PM   #151
JerryJS8
der Junge

Still got a problem with my MAF and a bit of one with the idle control valve. Every now and then I get the 1-2-1 code, but no real drivability problems. At idle the control valve is slow to react, letting the rpms drop down to 500 and then recovering after a few seconds. It's a brand new unit, so it's not gummed up and in need of a cleaning. As far as the wirings, I already renewed ALL the grounds, stripping the wire and soldering on new connectors, now it's the positive leads I'm after.

I think I found the culprit hiding in the shadows, and I don't know if that spade connector wrapped in electrical tape is supposed to be there... The way the relay box is crispy and brittle leads me to thing the wire burnt through at one point and was spliced together on the lazy.

Crusty...

...and corroded

Got to robbing my spare relay box and replaced the crusty power supply wire with a fresh one, maybe that'll solve my problems. Otherwise I'll have to get deeper into the wiring harness...

- 1990 744 16v (pegleg drift can)
- 1992 480 (Renault disaster)

- 1989 745 16v
- 1991 744 (SE) 16v Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordmaschine View Post
Try to recreate and see what happens, our crystall ball servers are currrently down.
JerryJS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 05:39 AM   #152
JerryJS8
der Junge

Oh the rust of it all!

Before I saw this I believed the car to be completely free of rust, but I discovered a little spot that turned into the beginnings of what could have a big problem.

Underneath the heat shield above the second muffler I saw a small spot of rust. I took of the heat shield and found a few spots getting in position to wage a war. I was really surprised to see Volvo didn't even apply a coat of color to these areas or a layer of underbody coating. Also behind the heat shield of the over-axle pipe I found two spots of rust and so I threw down the gauntlet on this junk!

Nope, no way this is going to be left to fester with winter coming... I grabbed a wire brush and removed the crap out of all the crap and treated it with a heavy coating of this stuff that turns rust into epoxy and a thick layer of underbody tar.

Now this is much better!

I found a few other spots that looked like they could eventually become a problem and gave them the same assault tactics.

On a side note, If my car was a beer, it'd be this one!

Further maintenance issues addressed: I'd been chasing after an oil leak around the back of the valve cover. Replaced the valve cover gasket with no change and eventually traced it back to the main seal in the spark distributor.

Old vs. New

Nice little kit and everything is back to normal!

Then in my steering there's been a clunk from all those years of living off of a dirt road in Florida. I took out the column to find a pretty definitive answer as to what it was.

Last trip back home I found a doner 740 in the junkyard and brought this beauty back in my suitcase with a few other goodies.

Great thing, my wife doesn't ask anymore why I'd want to bring back car parts, rather she was right in there ripping out parts and asking if we needed this clip or that panel! So proud of her

Last update of the day and the only upgrade to post, my freshly powdercoated geminis (the black ones that were hanging out for quite some time) got some nice 225/50's, just before I swapped back to winter tires

Classic stance at the garage parking lot with an alternate junkyard background

That's it for the moment, upgrades have reached a point where it's a stable/reliable build and now I'm focusing on the little things here and there that squeak or rattle or whatever.

Just enjoying the daily driver status after a long time spent restoring it
Old 11-08-2018, 01:12 PM   #153
Sander
Good news everyone!

I love how understated it looks How has it been holding up as a daily?
Sander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 02:20 PM   #154
+Kardboard+
Chinese guy/Swedish rides

Love it!

mtd240: I suspect "the wives" have a super-secret forum to discuss whether or not they will let us buy Volvo parts.
DavidSamuels: Not a website, a panel discussion/reality show. Real Housewives of Gothenburg.

-Feedback-
+Kardboard+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 05:17 PM   #155
JerryJS8
der Junge

Thanks, appreciate it you guys!

As a daily it's been a blast, even my wife likes driving it and actually kinda grins if we need to trade cars for a while. Just commuting around town feels like it should, just a plain old Volvo in all its factory glory. But when you want to, the tires light up with ease and the power delivery feels like a large bore V8. The last thing holding back the motor is the stock exhaust, but I'm still shopping for parts that will keep the factory silence with a 3 inch system and isn't sold in polished stainless. Suspension wise she's quite nimble in the corners. Brakes are also a dream, massive upgrade from stock with a solid, predictable bite.

The only thing that's a negative is my short drive to work and the 50 km/h speed limit the whole way there
Old 11-10-2018, 09:27 AM   #156
MrKrabs
Board Member

Damn, looks great! I really like the 80's vibe it gives out.
On a side note, I'm also getting my girl, which you've met, to start thinking about cars in a different way haha. She was probably as heartbroken as me when my 940 got totalled.

Anyways, curious to see the final touches on this build, usually you do things your own way which proves quite interesting!
Old 11-10-2018, 08:27 PM   #157
DET17
Reformed SAABaholic

Default Impressive!

Well Jerry, I finally found the time to read your entire build..... you should be proud of the machine you've restomodded! I appreciate the "stealth mode" you have to maintain in Europa to keep the TUV satisfied. I realize how fortunate (or is it stupid?) we here in most of the States, as the county I live in here in NW Georgia doesn't require any emissions or safety inspections! As a result I don't have to worry about how the engine bay looks as you have to create that OEM look.

While there is plenty of love for the 7/9 wagons on TB, I don't feel near enough is given to the sedans. My 940 took a 20 mile run up the interstate this afternoon..... longest drive it's been on since I took it down in April 2017 for my final round of improvements. I want to get a couple tanks of petrol thru LH2.4 so it can learn my new 012 AMM and S60R injectors.... I'm resisting the temptation to open up my 19t and see what she'll do. Like that T3/T04 hybrid you've built and I'll follow along to see what the Cossie brings to the table. I was damn tempted to build a similar turbo but finally settled on the 19t from ARD Tuning.

Again, very nicely done...... yours might be my new favorite 7/9 sedan on TB!

Duane

Feedback thread: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=198746
DET17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:53 PM   #158
JerryJS8
der Junge

Again thanks for the positive feedback guys!

@MrKrabs, hope you were able to pull a few prime parts from your car before the insurance hauled it off, bet your girl would have fun ripping out the parts like mine does!

@DET17, one of my next mods is to install a paper cone filter like what I posted in your build thread. Stealth mode of course... But I'm not into making things inconspicuous to hide it from the governing powers (I have several pages in my vehicle registration documenting all the mods), I just really like driving a sleeper that looks the part inside and out. If I ever put a vinyl sticker across the windshield, it'd be "Stilla vatten kör djupa", in a punk-rock glitter foil!

Will keep tabs on your build, hope you don't have any hiccups getting LH to learn.

And for the record, I didn't build a hybrid, just a 60 trim T3, nothing special here