• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Lightweight B2015 Braille AGM battery review

Turborg

I needed a battery for my 72 142 so I decided to give this battery a try. It is 6" wide, 6" tall. 3" wide and weighs on 15lbs. . It can be mounted any way you wish and comes with set up for top or side post. It has 425 cold cranking amps.
I haven't had it for a long time but it cranks better than the 45lb+ battery it replaced. And it has cranked for a long time a couple times when I flooded my motor or some other no start condition. It looks so tiny setting in the battery box but its going in the trunk before long. The battery is half the size of a Optima and half the price. I am very happy with it so far.

Good info Harry! Long time no see BTW, hope you're doing well.

Figures, I just did a battery in the wagon. Group 34 marine AGM from East Penn, same specs as the normal 34 but $50 less, made by the same company, same place, but 1 year instead of 3 year. Whatever...

Good info Harry! Long time no see BTW, hope you're doing well.

Figures, I just did a battery in the wagon. Group 34 marine AGM from East Penn, same specs as the normal 34 but $50 less, made by the same company, same place, but 1 year instead of 3 year. Whatever...
Hey Gary
Just like an old Volvo I keep coming back. After getting screwed over on my stroker motor by a machinist I trusted, I have put together a 2130 motor that runs great except for steel timing gear noise. Of course I am looking for a B 20 block to assemble my stroker motor once again. I am getting my 142 together to challenge your dominance at the shows. After battling health issues and car issues I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I needed a battery for my 72 142 so I decided to give this battery a try. It is 6" wide, 6" tall. 3" wide and weighs on 15lbs. . It can be mounted any way you wish and comes with set up for top or side post. It has 425 cold cranking amps.
I haven't had it for a long time but it cranks better than the 45lb+ battery it replaced. And it has cranked for a long time a couple times when I flooded my motor or some other no start condition. It looks so tiny setting in the battery box but its going in the trunk before long. The battery is half the size of a Optima and half the price. I am very happy with it so far.

Where was it purchased?

Hey, bring it! Took 2nd in 2018, with Tyler taking it. This year, minimal changes, next couple years will be the underhood refurb and B20F+T mod. lol

I've been using an even smaller one in my 245 for a long while now: https://www.braillebattery.com/index.php/braille/product_batteries/b14115

The only issue I ever had with it was when it went flat over one of my longer (6 month?) engine rebuilds, it didn't ever come back from that very well, I had to replace it. Certainly cranked the car over well enough in regular weather. I always parked it in the winter to keep it out of the salt, so no cold weather cranking.

I use a similar Odyssey battery in my old Volvo: https://shop.odysseybattery.com/p/pc680
I guess in size/weight it's a little close to the first Braille listed in the top post. Same thing there, no real issues with it to speak of. It just works like a normal battery. These are jsut a fair amount cheaper.

I've been using an even smaller one in my 245 for a long while now: https://www.braillebattery.com/index.php/braille/product_batteries/b14115

The only issue I ever had with it was when it went flat over one of my longer (6 month?) engine rebuilds, it didn't ever come back from that very well, I had to replace it. Certainly cranked the car over well enough in regular weather. I always parked it in the winter to keep it out of the salt, so no cold weather cranking.

I use a similar Odyssey battery in my old Volvo: https://shop.odysseybattery.com/p/pc680
I guess in size/weight it's a little close to the first Braille listed in the top post. Same thing there, no real issues with it to speak of. It just works like a normal battery. These are jsut a fair amount cheaper.

I think this was the actual one that i used.

I used the ~11lb braille, no real issues with it, but you need a reliable starting car. If you have some issue that needs troubleshooting and a lot of cranking while on the side of the road...you might run out of tries.

110511667.jpg

about 22lb heavier...
110511669.jpg

I also used a PC680 briefly, only rated about 220CCA I believe. Worked in the summer. I got it free, 2-3yr old, and it did fine for my needs but I think I swapped a big battery back in for winter. Autocross weight savings was the goal.

I would look at East Penn / Deka branded batteries before buying another Braille for the premium price.

I've had an Odyssey pc680 for maybe 8 months and it's been great. Cranked my car up two days ago after 3-4 months of sitting, although it was tired. I need to start driving it every day again to see how it does through the winter.

I've been using the same Odyssey PC680 for a few years now. I used to take it indoors in the winter but don't bother anymore. I throw a tender on it once it goes into winter storage. Performing flawlessly, I've started the car in temps down to 5*F with no problem. I think I paid like $105 for it so even when it fails it's short money.

It's a pretty significant weight and cost savings over running a battery to the trunk.

edit: I'll echo Towery's comment that there's not a ton of reserve, so if you get into a situation where you need to crank away on the thing you gotta make the most of your attempts.

Last edited:
$30 Walmart tractor battery in the trunk of my scca car. Lasted untill dude rear ended me. I drove it almost daily for 6 mo during the summer so I can't attest to cold starting. Was 300 CCA tho. I hear they don't last long but reviews say otherwise... Maybe a batt tender during storage would help it along. For the price I will get another when the car goes on a diet. Car was a 76 242 with a reliable LH 2.4 swap. Minimal was cranking required. But I did drive it home on the starter when by t belt broke at the end of my street...

Back