• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

N block with RNC head

jaccovdzaag

Hi there,

First post here. I'm Jacco, from Holland and just got my hands on a B5234T5 engine.
I don't drive a Volvo, my dad does though (850T5 and S70 N/A) and I'm planning to use the engine in a project of mine. Now, I have a question though..

I'm curious about the compability between the different types of engines. I searched a bit for differences between the engines, like the RNC's being more compact, VVT, coolant is different und so weiter.
The thing is, are there people around here, or is there proof, that a N block has been mated to an RNC head? They've made the engines smaller, more compact, but it seems to me, the base of the engine is still the same?

The engine will be in an RWD car, so no need to worry about drivelines and stuff, yet..

Thanks in advance, and I'll continue my search to find something useful!

Cheers!

I'd say the head fits on top of a N block just as a RN head or vice versa.

Some info compared to RN: http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/topic/164042-rn-vs-rnc/

RNC uses the same timing belt kit as 99-> 5-cyl engines. Can't say if the VVT pulleys are the same diameter as the 20V N. Might be. RN turbo engines got dual VVT from -03/-04 up so there is no need to use a RNC head because of that. Before that they had a VVT on exhaust cam.

Hi Lankku,

Great, thank you! I'm going to look into that!
No, it's not because of that. More, because of the intake system from those engines. By the way, what does the water inlet on the exhaust side of the head?

Now that I've read more looks like I missed some things with the heads. One of them is thermostat location. N and RN have the housing in the head but RNC has a plastic housing in the block. So at least that needs attention.

And the another big thing is coolant flow direction which is different. Can't say how that plays out.

What is it in the intake system that makes RNC head more interesting option?

Back