• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

The Buchka 242 Daily Driver

Good timing, these just came out also (though ridiculously over priced for TB's at $6000 for a full car centerlock set-up): :lol:

"REAR AXLE GpA CENTRE LOCK AXLE ASSEMBLIES NOW AVAILABLE:
Racer Products, New Zealand have designed and developed a two piece Centre Lock rear axle assembly to replace the original SKF manufactured GpA centre lock axles.

Manufactured from aerospace 300M alloy steel these hollow, gun drilled, axles allow up to 1.5? negative camber on the rear differential housing and up to 2mm of rear toe-in using a Dana30 LSD unit or any other 27 spline Volvo differential unit, due to their crown ground inner splines.

Motorsport 5 stud Hubs are also available, using the same inner axle. PM me if you are interested.

www.racerproducts.co.nz" - Mark Petch

Last edited:
It's not clear to me what car this particular diff housing came off of but I think it was a 1980 diesel 240.

Huh, neat. And with bolt on tubes I guess eh?

Wondering if it's as stout as a 'regular' 1030?

Yep, they bolt on. The jury is still out on their resilience compared to an iron 1030. I've read conjecture saying they're not, I'll just have to find out myself.

Good timing, these just came out also (though ridiculously over priced for TB's at $6000 for a full car centerlock set-up): :lol:

$6k msrp sounds about right for a kit like that. I could probably piece it together for considerably less but I'm happy with the 5-lug setup.

Should we buy a media blaster for the shop to freshen up that housing? Cleanup on aisle 1030...

I already blasted it with glass bead, looks much better now. I don't think our compressor would be too happy running a blasting cabinet

Bought a setrab oil cooler on ebay for cheap. It's a two-pass unit off some mystery OEM application. It only had hose barbs on it, I wanted to be able to use AN fittings but I wasn't sure which angles they were supposed to go at so I machined up some weld-on SAE port fittings and welded them on.

IMG_0838.JPG

IMG_0842.JPG

IMG_0839.JPG

Got all the brake parts back from anodizing and bolted it all together yesterday.

IMG_0818.JPG

IMG_0854.JPG

IMG_0851.JPG

IMG_0853.JPG

I also installed new brembo rear rotors, re-manufactured rear calipers, new braided stainless hoses everywhere, rear proportioning valves from a wagon, and StopTech street performance pads front and rear. I could lock up the front wheels with the stock brakes so the ultimate braking performance is about the same as before but the modulation and feel with the new stuff is insanely good. The biggest difference is longevity, I can wail on these brakes over and over without fade, it's quite impressive.

I put anti-rattle clips on the front rotors as well, so there isn't any clunking or clacking that you usually get with floating rotors. Overall I'm very pleased with the upgrade.

Thanks dudes, much appreciated.

Been driving the car every day, doing a lot of data logging and fiddling with the calibration. I loaded in a re-scaled version of Homer's ignition table and it picked up tons of power everywhere. I knew the old table was conservative but I was surprised just how much quicker and more responsive it became.

A few weeks ago the power steering rack took a big dump. I suspect the seals in the spool valve went because it would randomly provide jolts of power assist. Pretty unnerving to drive on a long sweeping on-ramp and have the required steering effort drop without warning. Ended up buying a rebuilt ZF Type 3 from Jorgen Automotive and installing it, works like new now.

I finished up the new shift knob cap and installed it. Pretty pleased with how it turned out:

IMG_0939.JPG

In preparation for the impending turbocharging I picked these up from Justlie for a price I couldn't turn down. They are 83mm pistons made for a 143mm rod. There are only 5 in this set and I need one more. If anyone has an extra or knows where I can get one I am all ears.

IMG_0881.JPG

In preparation for the impending turbocharging I picked these up from Justlie for a price I couldn't turn down. They are 83mm pistons made for a 143mm rod. There are only 5 in this set and I need one more. If anyone has an extra or knows where I can get one I am all ears.

Have you tried calling Wiseco directly? With a part number I'd expect they would be able to quote a replacement, or point you towards a distributor.

Always a pleasure to see the level of workmanship on this project.

Side question: Could I convince you to sell me a shifter knob cap? I'd love to have a near-stock look for my own car.

Have you tried calling Wiseco directly? With a part number I'd expect they would be able to quote a replacement, or point you towards a distributor.

I called them and asked, they have a minimum order of four pieces on custom pistons. I would end up paying more for one extra than I did for the entire set of five.

Are the corner light housings on this car painted the standard grey, or are they darker?

As Pat mentioned, they are just faded original housings.

this car is absolutely amazing, good work guys. i wish i had the talent and patience you two have.

Thanks dude. My patience runs thin sometimes, as evidenced by the cruddy flaked and peeling paint on the brake calipers :oops:

Always a pleasure to see the level of workmanship on this project.

Side question: Could I convince you to sell me a shifter knob cap? I'd love to have a near-stock look for my own car.

Thanks! I can post the 3d model I made. I ordered the cap from protolabs, printed in black ABS-like plastic on a high resolution SLA 3d printer. They definitely aren't the cheapest around though, I'm sure you could find a local shop to do it for less money than I paid. I was mostly just lazy when I ordered it, the convenience of protolabs is hard to beat.

The letters are just filled with several coats of white Testors enamel paint from a hobby shop, then sanded down flush with the radiused top surface.

Back