• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Redblock power, or 7mgte power?

Keep the Redblock or go Toyota Powerhouse straight 6?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I just deleted the personal attacks on PromiseRing, and left all the pertinent technical info related to the thread topic.

I just deleted the personal attacks on PromiseRing, and left all the pertinent technical info related to the thread topic.

When did you get turned into a moderator?? Your username isn't even green!

Also, to OP, based on who voted what, the people with actual knowledge and experience are voting 7M. Fanboys are voting Redblock. Just FYI.

Does your old worn out 7M parts pile need a blessing administered to make you feel that this swap is kosher?

The A340 automagic obviously fits, standard in a 960. It's been done, it's not impossible. Most of the guys that swap 7m, 1J pr 2J are in NZ/AUS, but Nathaninwa had a 2j 944 which was sold dirt cheap considering what he had into it...

If adapting alien engines, LSX fits in a 7/9 as does a 4L80E (TH400 electronic with OD basically) and both are dirt cheap and don't require a rebuild/obscure old parts and you can keep your smooth idle/easy to drive torque/possibly some basic (highway) fuel economy and A/C if it's a DD.
77volvo245 sells LSX mounts, not sure for 7/9 though.
You can usually find a young/within 10-15 years LSX/4L80 for less than one single vaguely significant part for a worn out/dated 7M will cost.

Last edited:

Dang I missed it. Hey JohnV, just PM me what you had to say. I like to assume it went something like

dadada stupid teenager dadada never built a motor dadadda piccies with the girlies and my cup of tea dadada wannna buy some suspension parts?

I dunno, I got the backline message, that's pretty funny too... and maybe not really that inaccurate..

anyway, I tend to leave these things alone these days because no one actually seems to have any follow through and it ends up being a waste of time.

at least 5 years ago, someone would've either scattered a motor trying, or turned around and sold as a half-finished project with the 7m in the bay but not plumbed.

the op isn't fishing for advice, he's fishing for affirmation of his idea.

Also, to OP, based on who voted what, the people with actual knowledge and experience are voting 7M. Fanboys are voting Redblock. Just FYI.

The same time I did. He is the stealth/ninja moderator. You will never see the ban hammer coming. :-P

Thank you for your insight. I wouldn't have known being so new to this lovely, info filled pit of knowledge you all have here.

Does your old worn out 7M parts pile need a blessing administered to make you feel that this swap is kosher?

The A340 automagic obviously fits, standard in a 960. It's been done, it's not impossible. Most of the guys that swap 7m, 1J pr 2J are in NZ/AUS, but Nathaninwa had a 2j 944 which was sold dirt cheap considering what he had into it...

If adapting alien engines, LSX fits in a 7/9 as does a 4L80E (TH400 electronic with OD basically) and both are dirt cheap and don't require a rebuild/obscure old parts and you can keep your smooth idle/easy to drive torque/possibly some basic (highway) fuel economy and A/C if it's a DD.
77volvo245 sells LSX mounts, not sure for 7/9 though.
You can usually find a young/within 10-15 years LSX/4L80 for less than one single vaguely significant part for a worn out/dated 7M will cost.

The 7m Deets:

The Good

Bored 0.040 over
Brian Crower 264/264 cams
Forged Crank
Solid block

The Bad

Needs to be honed
Needs all Accessories (alt, fuel system, ECU, water pump, oil pump etc)
Needs Rods and pistons
Needs a Turbo and intercooler system

*It was originally in a friends MKIII Supra track car that consistently ran Mid 10's in the quarter mile. But he over boosted + NOS and blew a piston. Yes the block is fine and has been checked by a local legendary automotive machinist.

So that's what I have. All out in the open. ive been pricing the build I want, in comparison to others builds, and for roughly $6k I can hit my 600whp mark with room to grow if I feel its needed. This wont just be a track car, I want this to be able to be a DD if I see fit.

Why 600 hp? Nobody ever says why they think they need whatever they imagine they need..

Cause if you make even 400hp and are going to pound on the car you can't just "discuss" motor but motor, clutch, gearbox, propshaft rear axle, and diff have to be discussed..

Cause all those parts will fail.

The 7m Deets:

The Good

Bored 0.040 over
Brian Crower 264/264 cams
Forged Crank
Solid block

The Bad

Needs to be honed
Needs all Accessories (alt, fuel system, ECU, water pump, oil pump etc)
Needs Rods and pistons
Needs a Turbo and intercooler system

*It was originally in a friends MKIII Supra track car that consistently ran Mid 10's in the quarter mile. But he over boosted + NOS and blew a piston. Yes the block is fine and has been checked by a local legendary automotive machinist.

So that's what I have. All out in the open. ive been pricing the build I want, in comparison to others builds, and for roughly $6k I can hit my 600whp mark with room to grow if I feel its needed. This wont just be a track car, I want this to be able to be a DD if I see fit.

gen 3/4 swap for sure. labor aside, I didn't have much more than 7.5k into my L33 swap, and that included a fancy pants turbonetics 7875 bb turbo and a $1400 billet triple disc torque converter. hardly a budget build. Spun the rollers to 787rwhp last month, makes 550whp at like 8psi. Tows the fast car and the tractor very well, oh and it's been that way for two years. SBE, nothing more than a cam and some basic springs and stuff.

7mgte power

hi , im the one with the 7mgte . Is a work in process but im not looking to do a lot of power, just duplicating the original 114 hp. I had the 7m in a cressida, just that the cressy had to be put to sleep dew to a lot of rust and parts were hard to get in my area. The 7m has been known of pushing about a 1000 hp with the right set up.( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9loVGkCVQ-M). I am using the original pcm and a shorten intercooler for space reasons.
I am using the r 154 manual trans and in my blog you can see the work done.
LS are easy to get done and plenty to find. I just wanna be a little different and kick the honda asses :). (I own a crv Oooppsss>)
good luck and flip the coin to see whats best for you.
Another supra owner used a 2jz pcm in the 7m
Take care
DZ

Why 600 hp? Nobody ever says why they think they need whatever they imagine they need..

Cause if you make even 400hp and are going to pound on the car you can't just "discuss" motor but motor, clutch, gearbox, propshaft rear axle, and diff have to be discussed..

The man makes a very good point. Whatever engine you have pushing out 600BHP needs everything behind it to hold that power.

I know its going to need Trans work, rear end and much more. I'm not worried about that at the moment... I'm strictly discussing the engine and which would be the better choice for the power I'm looking to achieve.

Your super vague on your red block build.16v or 8v?.. so how did you come up with 275 wheel horsepower currently? 4 cylinder 8 valve... Expecting 600 horsepower hmmm... Six-cylinder 24-valve expecting 600-horsepower...hmmm. do the math🤔 I am shocked at how polite the people are responding so far , would have never thought....
I know its going to need Trans work, rear end and much more. I'm not worried about that at the moment... I'm strictly discussing the engine and which would be the better choice for the power I'm looking to achieve.

Still haven't said who you are, what skills you posses, what experience you posses, ( I'll let somebody kinder and more kind than me point out the hilarity of a guy desiring 600HP asking these question on a forum overflowing with dreamer 23 year old kids giving advice), what tools, what budget for the whole shebang,

and above all why 600 hp?

I highly doubt OP has driven a legit 300hp redblock car.

Asking for a specific HP number with no basis in reality sort of suggests that.

Still haven't said who you are, what skills you posses, what experience you posses, ( I'll let somebody kinder and more kind than me point out the hilarity of a guy desiring 600HP asking these question on a forum overflowing with dreamer 23 year old kids giving advice), what tools, what budget for the whole shebang,

and above all why 600 hp?

I highly doubt OP has driven a legit 300hp redblock car.

Asking for a specific HP number with no basis in reality sort of suggests that.

This is why I stay away from forums for the most part. Yes, actually I have driven a 400hp redblock car owned by a friend. but before he hit 400whp, he was dyno'd at 308?whp if memory serves and we raced, I didn't lose by much, is why I said est. 275whp. Next off, I have no requirement on this forum to say who I am or what my experience is... But alas, I will anyway.

My name is Shaun, I live in San Tan Valley Arizona, 31yo Father of twin boys (6yo). I grew up in a motorhead family and high Hp cars have always been my life. Ive been wrenching since I was 8yo with my father. I have at my disposal roughly $100k in tools and machines between me and my father to build and do whatever the **** I want. Body work, Engine work, sandblasting if I see fit... This also includes a 2 post lift so I'm not crawling on the ground or paying someone else to do it for me like most of you. I have personally had 550+whp cars in my life, unlike most of you.

This post was literally so I could learn about the Volvo redblock and see what you guys estimate it could handle. I know what my 7MGTE can take. So please before you go doubting someone, or thinking that I'm some dumbass 20yo kid, please just be courteous. Its not hard.

Next off, why 600hp? Personally I like to reach a point with HP to just **** with higher end cars in my area... Z06 Vettes, CTSV's, Ferrari's from time to time. Just love seeing their faces when they lose to a Yota or now a Volvo grandma wagon. Priceless.

Back