• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Sander's 745 16V + Turbo project

Sander

Good news everyone!
Sander's 745 16V+T project, now with 6.0 V12

We'll, it all started a couple of years ago when I was about 17 or something and always wanted to do something like this project, but didn't have the money to do it. So last year, I worked everyday during the summer holidays so I can afford a project like this.

November 2008 (@ age 20 now) i had enough money so i wen't out and started searching for a nice Volvo 745. Then i came across this one and bought it immediatly. It's a 1989 745 GLT 16V with a lot of options (electric windows, mirrors and antenna, a sunroof, climate control, cruise control, heated seats, adjustable ride hight in the back, etc etc). The only bad thing about the car was the sagging headliner.

The plan is to gather all the parts i need (i have almost everything now, still need a clutch and a bunch of other small bits), and take the engine apart at the end of may and build everything on it then. Until then, i'll fix everything that doesn't require taking the engine out. It'll get forged pistons and rods, MSnS with boostcontrol, JAW and COP ignition, an IHI RHC6 turbo, ebay ic, 550cc injectors (may need bigger ones), M90 gearbox while using the LH2.4 dog dish flywheel and a sachs race engineering clutch, and all the other stuff i forgot right now :-P. I'll keep this tread up to date as the project goes.

Here's how it looked when i just got it:

dsc00391kleinerdt0.jpg

dsc00392kleinerii0.jpg

dsc00396kleinerhl6.jpg

To improve handling and the looks of the car i got some progressive lowering springs (Merwede springs) and installed them, together with new suspension bushings and ball joints etc. I spent three days laying under my car on gravel while it was -11C, so that was kinda unpleasant, but it was worth it :) :

dsc01999wd7.jpg

me.jpg

dsc02626pu5.jpg

After that, the headliner with all of the brown old foam crap that rained down in my car drove me insane so i just had to reupholster it. I also wrote an article about how to do this, which can be found here: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=160443

It wen't from this:

dsc02649vk3.jpg

to this:

dsc02761wn7.jpg

dsc02754ck8.jpg

Last week i have gotten a few things done. First i installed fog lights (finally) to fill up those ugly holes where they where supposed to be:

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Then I converted the sunroof from manual to electric, and put a new antenna piece in my electrical antenna so it works again.

I also got a leather interior from a 940 for a nice price to replace my ugly greenish seets. It went from this:

stof1.jpg

stof2.jpg

to this:

leer1.jpg

leer2.jpg

leer4.jpg

leer3.jpg

and that's where i'm at at the moment :)

and a few pics of the pistons and turbo and some other stuff:

dsc01984kleinwr2.jpg

These are the spec's on the RHC6:

Turbine:
.70 A/R housing
Wheel diameter 2.420" --> 61,46mm
Inducer diameter 2.030" --> 51,62mm
70 Trim
11 blades

Compressor:
.70 A/R Housing (not certain)
Wheel diameter 2.756" --> 70mm
Inducer diameter --> 51.32mm
54 Trim
6 blades

intercoolergk5.jpg

spul.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice! really wanna see how it goes along.

BTW what's the power/torque rating on the euro B234...F it is out there as well, maybe?

great man, this is going to be awesome.

740 wagons with draco's ftw of course im sure your going to change them to different rims?

looks to me like your going weld your own turbo header with those flanges you bought? or are you going to send it out to a shop to get it built?

nice job on the interior, my headliner is worse than yours i need to do something about it.

m90 ftw

Yes i'm going to make my own turbo header using those flanges. I like to do as much as i can by myself :) The rims are somewhere low on my list of things to do, i'll first get the engine up and running as i want it.

@ harribert,

It is rated at 159hp and 210nm on euro 95 fuel.

thats good. your supposed to do everything yourself :nod:

top mount or bottom mount?

are you going to keep it internally gated?

Top mount.yeah i'm keeping the internal gate as it is quite big on the RHC6 (34mm in diameter with a lot of room for making it even bigger. up to 38 or 40mm should be doable).

i also found one super crappy pic of my m90 on my cellphone :-P

m90.JPG

Last edited:
i know the standard .48a/r t3 turbine is not as big(at all!!) but i spent some time porting the wastegate hole while i had mine apart b4 i mated a t4 60trim compressor.

its worked out fairly well for me so having a big wastegate hole of 38 or 40mm like you said should work out fine for you. i know you probably will but really take the time while it is apart to really SMOOTH out the path of the exhaust gasses, you won't regret it.

haha indeed, how are they holding up? I had to wait almost 2 months for them because of you :-P. When i ordered there was one set in stock, so the day i payed i saw you ordered them the day before, so i guess it was you they went to :-P

Bought this at my local Volvo dealership (i was suprised they still have them):

stang.jpg

haha indeed, how are they holding up? I had to wait almost 2 months for them because of you :-P. When i ordered there was one set in stock, so the day i payed i saw you ordered them the day before, so i guess it was you they went to :-P

happens like that. don't worry, apparently i'm last in line in everything else that I've ordered for the car, so the motor short block is sitting bagged in the corner of the shop.

waiting for stuff sucks :-P

On a side note, just mounted it. It does make a difference, the front end feels much stiffer going over bumps etc.:

stang2.jpg

The number for the brace is 3526694. The mounting hardware: 3 bolts, number 985046 and one nut: 987891 ;-)

Sweet! Thanks, just ordered one.

I'd just get the cherry turbos lower brace - reason being is I like the fact it mounts in three places better.

anyways, nice nice nice - looks awesome dude! /subscribed

Yeah, but at $56 my cost from Volvo, I'll roll with this. :oogle:

Hey! What the part # for the brace and hardware?

Sweet! Thanks, just ordered one.

Yeah, but at $56 my cost from Volvo, I'll roll with this. :oogle:

I need to ask you about parts availability on some euro stuff.
I have a hookup here but they can only order from Canada's warehouse.
I need someone who can check the US warehouse.
Cost aside, just want to know actual availability.

Back