• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

phat azz intercooler advice

Cwazywazy

Single jingle
My stock intercooler is too stock. I was thinking of either trying this one or finding an NPR, but 3.5" thick is gonna need some figuring out. Volvo 240 with AC, efan, 3 core Nissens. What are you guys running, how easy to install? I also have a big battery that I'd like to keep, if possible. Barely fits with the stock piping.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/24-x12-x3-...322856?hash=item2a1c5a8d28:g:rmQAAOxyB9RS1zM4

Maybe I could cut a hole in the hood and go Subaru style.

My stock intercooler is too stock. I was thinking of either trying this one or finding an NPR, but 3.5" thick is gonna need some figuring out. Volvo 240 with AC, efan, 3 core Nissens. What are you guys running, how easy to install? I also have a big battery that I'd like to keep, if possible. Barely fits with the stock piping.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/24-x12-x3-...322856?hash=item2a1c5a8d28:g:rmQAAOxyB9RS1zM4

Maybe I could cut a hole in the hood and go Subaru style.

I considered that one but its a bit too narrow for radiator. I did a cx racing one(25x12x3) and a then an NPR and in the end I got rid of both and ordered one from KL racing which fits without modifying anything. Right under $400 usd shipped. For my money, its better to get something that's designed to fit instead of making something fit.

The KL Racing one went down in price. You're looking at about $320 USD shipped right now.

https://shop.klracing.se/sv/artiklar/volvo-940-utan-ac-60mm.html

Last edited:
I considered that one but its a bit too narrow for radiator. I did a cx racing one(25x12x3) and a then an NPR and in the end I got rid of both and ordered one from KL racing which fits without modify anything. Right under $400 usd shipped. For my money, its better to get something that's designed to fit instead of making something fit.

The KL Racing one went down in price. You're looking at about $320 USD shipped right now.

https://shop.klracing.se/sv/artiklar/volvo-940-utan-ac-60mm.html

Ooh. I've only seen the ~$500 do88 one.

Do88 is great stuff. All of their stuff is. That being said, if the KLracing unit is equal to/better than the do88 intercooler, than I'd agree with you about being overpriced. I would have gone for the KLracing one, had I known about it then.

The only shipping methods KL racing gives me are for sweden only or pickup.. They do ship internationally, right?

I forget the core size in the blue car, but it works like a champion with all the stuff in stock positions (except the intercooler, it's out in front of everything behind the center support post)
164284450.jpg

164091730.jpg

To be fair, even the KL unit is pricey when an ebay intercooler, the necessary piping and couplers is less than $200 :e-shrug:

For the record, I chose a big unit, with 2.5" piping throughout. It will be good enough for my 16 psi, and at less than 2 bills for the whole shebang, I would do it again most likely before I spring for another unit.

Why not go straight to the source?

https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...l?spm=a2700.7724838.2017115.59.84003737Kjnhge

The intercoolers are listed there.

A while ago this came up on the FB group. I contacted Do88 and they confirmed that the intercoolers were made in China, that they couldn't build them cheap enough locally. The drop in stock intercooler is available through alibaba or the like. The group-a intercooler, although listed, is not. If you contact about the group-a intercooler, they tell you they can't sell them as they have an agreement with d088.

BTW, eurosport tuning is a north american do88 supplier (and our dealership is a distributor of eurosport tuning products)

Jordan

Minimum order with alibaba is ten intercoolers. Great for a group buy.

Myself I used an NPR that's been in my 82 turbo for over ten years probably almost fifteen. The only mod I did was adding spacer bushings to raise it about 2" and had to move the oil cooler closer to the battery. I didn't feel like that was very much. What a difference. Gone was that 3k rpm or so torque peak ping at 12psi. Stock intercooled 240 brackets and the stock coupler hoses stretched to fit on the openings.

Last edited:
Minimum order with alibaba is ten intercoolers. Great for a group buy.

Most Alibaba places sell on AliExpress and will ship just one. You can email Alibaba factory and ask for pricing on one. But yeah, a group buy of ten wouldn't be a bad go.

Do88 is over priced in my opinion.

Maybe, I bought a all aluminum radiator for 850 from Alibaba.

I had the radiator cut open and took out both the coolers since I swapped to a manual trans and external engine oil cooler. Radiator itself and material is ok.... BUT trans cooler is junk, engine oil cooler is junk, gaskets between the cooler and radiator wall are junk, the weld is not so great. If I knew the quality of the coolers and the gaskets, I would have never bought it.

Spend the money and get a DO88 would be my advise for anyone who wants a 850 all aluminum radiator, maybe the rwd intercooler quality would be better, I guess we'll find out.

Back