home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 07-17-2018, 01:17 PM   #26
jvluntzel
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldnfast View Post
Just checked the car,I have the same ecu as yours above
you opened it up and it had the same motorola chip?
jvluntzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 01:28 PM   #27
jvluntzel
Board Member

Another thought I had to assist with timing under boost was to use the ignition module from a renault turbo vehicle. They have a vacuum tap on the module that I believe is to assist with ignition retard under boost and advance under vacuum

Old 07-17-2018, 02:56 PM   #28
oldnfast
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvluntzel View Post
you opened it up and it had the same motorola chip?
I didn't but did just now and the numbers on the chip are different.should I take pics then?
If yes then send me a pm with your contact info as I don't know how to post pics.also should I remove the board from case to see the backside?
oldnfast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 03:27 PM   #29
jvluntzel
Board Member

Quote:
I didn't but did just now and the numbers on the chip are different.should I take pics then?
If yes then send me a pm with your contact info as I don't know how to post pics.also should I remove the board from case to see the backside?
Yes please do!

I will send a pm right now. Take pictures of the front and rear of the board, and close ups of the chip part #s.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:41 PM   #30
jvluntzel
Board Member

Quote:
Turns out you have the same ecu as I do with the same motorola chip. Ill be checking out some ecus at the junkyard friday and will report back
Old 07-18-2018, 10:59 PM   #31
sbabbs
Board Member

Inside the Rex ignition box I got. You wanna adjust your ignition map also?

sbabbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 12:15 AM   #32
jvluntzel
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbabbs View Post
Inside the Rex ignition box I got. You wanna adjust your ignition map also?

Very much so!
Old 07-19-2018, 01:40 AM   #33
sbabbs
Board Member

Is it the ST chip that I need to take out and read? What is that ST chip?
sbabbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 09:14 AM   #34
bobxyz
Board Member

My best guess for the ignition box is:

The ZC98902VP is another custom (mask rom) Motorola processor (VP=automotive rated 28-pin plastic pkg), probably a 6804 or 6805 family due to the smaller pincount (28 versus 40).

Based on the Fenix paper, the STMicro TSG4801AP (?) is a custom digital chip needed to decode the flywheel pattern.

One of the two 8-pin DIP chips might be a small serial PROM or EEPROM, to contain the key ignition map parameters. I'd try tracing the PCB wires between the processor and the 8-pin chips to see if they match up with a serial I2C or SPI interface (say clock, data, chip select).
bobxyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 11:38 AM   #35
jvluntzel
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbabbs View Post
Is it the ST chip that I need to take out and read? What is that ST chip?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobxyz View Post
My best guess for the ignition box is:

The ZC98902VP is another custom (mask rom) Motorola processor (VP=automotive rated 28-pin plastic pkg), probably a 6804 or 6805 family due to the smaller pincount (28 versus 40).

Based on the Fenix paper, the STMicro TSG4801AP (?) is a custom digital chip needed to decode the flywheel pattern.

One of the two 8-pin DIP chips might be a small serial PROM or EEPROM, to contain the key ignition map parameters. I'd try tracing the PCB wires between the processor and the 8-pin chips to see if they match up with a serial I2C or SPI interface (say clock, data, chip select).
Thanks so much for your assistance guys! I know this is a proof of concept but no matter what results in the end, it will never be a debate or questioned again.
Old 07-20-2018, 08:39 AM   #36
bobxyz
Board Member

A couple more useful tidbits:

There's excerpts from a Volvo Greenbook that describe Rex/Regina in detail at:
https://people.ohio.edu/ridgely/Volvo_docs/

This includes full pinout and signal description charts on pages 28-34 (like the LH2.4 and EZK charts at ipdown, but for regina/rex). Rex provides a RPM/Tach signal to Regina; Regina provides a Load signal to Rex. Unlike LH2.4/EZK116, I didn't see a Rex to Regina Knock enrichment signal.

For Renault/Fenix, there's a good description of the fuel and ignition tables at:
http://www.fenixecu.com/injection-fe...phie?showall=1

The SAE paper on Fenix I describes the option of putting all the tables in an external PROM. If the 8-pin DIP chip shown in the board pictures is that PROM, then there's hope that the tables could be modified. The owner of fenixecu.com is the user "Manu" on the MegaSquirt forums (msextra.com/forums). He seems to be pretty active there, and writes in both English and French. Maybe you can contact him, show him the rex/regina board pictures, and ask if the 8-pin DIP chips are PROMs?
bobxyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 11:11 AM   #37
jvluntzel
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobxyz View Post
A couple more useful tidbits:

There's excerpts from a Volvo Greenbook that describe Rex/Regina in detail at:
https://people.ohio.edu/ridgely/Volvo_docs/

This includes full pinout and signal description charts on pages 28-34 (like the LH2.4 and EZK charts at ipdown, but for regina/rex). Rex provides a RPM/Tach signal to Regina; Regina provides a Load signal to Rex. Unlike LH2.4/EZK116, I didn't see a Rex to Regina Knock enrichment signal.

For Renault/Fenix, there's a good description of the fuel and ignition tables at:
http://www.fenixecu.com/injection-fe...phie?showall=1

The SAE paper on Fenix I describes the option of putting all the tables in an external PROM. If the 8-pin DIP chip shown in the board pictures is that PROM, then there's hope that the tables could be modified. The owner of fenixecu.com is the user "Manu" on the MegaSquirt forums (msextra.com/forums). He seems to be pretty active there, and writes in both English and French. Maybe you can contact him, show him the rex/regina board pictures, and ask if the 8-pin DIP chips are PROMs?
Thats funny you mention Manu, I have a thread on the megasquirt.fr page and he has been the primary assistance.

Link to my thread:

https://forum.megasquirt.fr/viewtopi...5&p=7779#p7779