• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Tons of smoke right after turbo? Died. No Start.

Yeah this head is shaved and it was shaved a LOT like 7 thou iirc. With the IPD cam I know that some of my shims were maaaaayyybbeeee a little too tight on the feeler gauge even with the thinnest ones but also... you know. Perfect compression, huge vacuum, and boosted to 15psi on a 19t no issues.

Yeah it's manual. T5 swapped. Why you ask?

If I had to guess the guide (seems in three parts like an expanding brick wall anchor lag) let the valve drop and it hit the piston just right (knock noise) and nail gunned it into the head. This caused my compression to go away and the car stopped.

Yeah it's manual. T5 swapped. Why you ask?

I had another incident when the car was NA. Foot slipped off the clutch while parking. Engine died and wouldn't restart. Destroyed a VX cam that way.

Exact mode of failure unknown. Shim was wedged between cup and cam. Cam lobe was destroyed on intake. Valve keeper came out, valve dropped and hit piston.

Head was shaved about seven thousandths. Timing belt tensioner was loose unless pushed OUT with a prybar before locking the roller in place.

Anyway, was wondering if the clutch engagement caused a similar stall / destruction dance in your situation.

Sucks either way. But at least your engine is OAF :rofl:

If I had to guess the guide (seems in three parts like an expanding brick wall anchor lag) let the valve drop and it hit the piston just right (knock noise) and nail gunned it into the head. This caused my compression to go away and the car stopped.

Nah, I'm nearly 100% positive that the destroyed guide is the result of the valve being dropped. NOT the cause.

Never seen presumably well serviced working 240 engine drinking a Kool Aid especially in pics. Thanks!

Imperceptible loss of compression. Smooth the edges with Emory cloth and run it.

Overrevving a high lift cam on factory springs is one sure fire way. BTDT.

So you?re telling me i shouldn?t bang limiter burnouts with my +t iPd turbo cam..???

Also, was this what we call 'dropping a valve'?

I snapped a bad pic of the aforementioned missing chunk on the block where the head bolt would go. If you look, you'll notice a missing chunk just above the purolator oil filter in the pic.

I'm not sure what that hole/channel is for... presumaby the water jacket? But I'm also not sure anything is "missing" or if it's a casting issue or... well I'm just not sure, but I also don't see what potential harm exists?

YrjcnkHu8ONsbfrl_5tkC1uc5y8yYok6Rrvs4kUxXlHr9X03-YnIDemGJT0IQnTQOejdLHIuULbhdtJi_XEzbboZehjN974WV_cWXppLHk4xUn4phY13yqp1CSIF8nErkDVy69JtqaqZAV8r24lf2hcseN7Yc6M_vl8QnzU8wRYdvi_MiRyTY8QLQdXqgKbt0UCGA-06PGQ_bxhCfAAtDkq-0Ki-nwXzy0edXt5iRpQpa2_0wtB8uWNxO5KwoPxyoRHOqrTjPz65HKlXt-33g88jGfW4NNl495AfQANzT2fs2bVw8ld6Tk4ZXZ_HNd61KbDir53F7h7JDaGBAJgr2jVQVGbTxCpuZ84eipyPVO0GiSXVQ3K1_wAb4zRP06x_5enVy8m5XHghw0Mu0Q3vCOeKbWmQSUamescv3CBvXnwCC6kw_0yc5Svk6fKn5_ISuXwMsBgo9LIVhw6jRyrphrZE34-5iiOVny_-CcvNVsShzKCOdTsS-JkHo_fHtItx8mrDyk5xjeDdavocjpytcpiJmuHUd17IDT49vaUYzfBGvlnnpwTvbEtaX0UPN_1kzsEh3_mNB-M32IsFIwa5ffnZI1o4Q2pI4bXwm-WxwQpCRHyhW1JMx8sDJXp78Un9Y1mY_4B4-sUOlMh2amoSbd42DFAynyC_MA0We2UHsSqvyWTAcrUk0KeCKoaD_900rPmH1uV4M5x2Mehsrw=w800-h600-no

I snapped a bad pic of the aforementioned missing chunk on the block where the head bolt would go. If you look, you'll notice a missing chunk just above the purolator oil filter in the pic.

I'm not sure what that hole/channel is for... presumaby the water jacket? But I'm also not sure anything is "missing" or if it's a casting issue or... well I'm just not sure, but I also don't see what potential harm exists?
That's normal. My blocks have looked the same.

Back