• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

tfrasca's 142 Turbo Project

Thanks for the input, guys. The problem is definitely caused by vibration.

A few questions for you to ponder:

1) Have you ever seen an inline engine OEM inlet manifold without a brace to the block?
2) Have you ever seen an inline engine OEM alloy inlet manifold with large flat areas?

<pause>

2: I haven't, and the cast curves you see are inherently strong and load-distributing - there's no inherent weak point(s)
1: I haven't, and although it's mainly to protect the studs in the head from heavy castings, it could also protect your weak interface from runners to plenum in the same way

How thick was the out-going back plate?

Are you planning to brace triangularly on the under sides of the runners to pick up the bottom wall of the plenum, too?

A few questions for you to ponder:

1) Have you ever seen an inline engine OEM inlet manifold without a brace to the block?
2) Have you ever seen an inline engine OEM alloy inlet manifold with large flat areas?

<pause>

2: I haven't, and the cast curves you see are inherently strong and load-distributing - there's no inherent weak point(s)
1: I haven't, and although it's mainly to protect the studs in the head from heavy castings, it could also protect your weak interface from runners to plenum in the same way

How thick was the out-going back plate?

Are you planning to brace triangularly on the under sides of the runners to pick up the bottom wall of the plenum, too?

Yeah, OEM manifolds always have a brace and far fewer flat areas. I'd like to add gussets from the runner to the plenum, as well as some sort of brace to the block. The outgoing plate was actually the same piece as the rest of the plenum: it was a folded piece, with a welded seam on the bottom. The plenum material is quite thin, around 1/16".

I think that with a thick plate, and the gussets, I'll be in much better shape. I wish my runners were long enough to cut and use silicone couplers to totally isolate the plenum, but they're not.

Quick update because I finished the fuel system upgrade.

I have a 50 GPH (At 15 psi. It will be operating at zero, so it should flow more.) Facet pump that will feed the surge tank.

The lines all pass through the floor via -6 bulkhead fittings. They're all 5/16 on the underside of the car.

The tank is mounted above the axle in the trunk, and I made -6 lines for it. I made a bracket that hold the tank and the OEM fuel filter.

That's it for now. Now to fix the intake manifold.

Attachments

• Surge-1468.jpg
    Surge-1468.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 245
  • Surge-1487.jpg
    Surge-1487.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 239
  • Surge-1495.jpg
    Surge-1495.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 240
  • Surge-1494.jpg
    Surge-1494.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 240
  • Surge-1499.jpg
    Surge-1499.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 241
While we're fixing the manifold, a package from Speedhut came in. I replaced the chrome bezels with black to cut down on glare, and got a boost gauge to mount in the GT cluster where I can actually see it. I moved the fuel gauge to that spot on the left, which is where the old VDO boost gauge was.

This should make driving much more enjoyable.

Attachments

• IMG_1512.JPG
    IMG_1512.JPG
    79.4 KB · Views: 197
Looks great! I can't wait to see it in a couple weeks. Should be 3 really nice modded 140's this year at least.

Hey, Ryan mentioned you put some Lucas stabilizer in the T5 and it helped. What kind of difference? What fluid did you already have in it?

I have some on the shelf, debating on throwing that in, with the Redline that's in there.

Looks great! I can't wait to see it in a couple weeks. Should be 3 really nice modded 140's this year at least.

Hey, Ryan mentioned you put some Lucas stabilizer in the T5 and it helped. What kind of difference? What fluid did you already have in it?

I have some on the shelf, debating on throwing that in, with the Redline that's in there.

Well the manifold is still in pieces. Some of those peices are at Noah's to be welded, and some are at my place for me to fit/prep. I really hope to be able to bring it to Davis, but I haven't committed yet...

I had some generic dex/merc in my T5, and then added about .4 quarts of the stabilizer. It seemed to help the noise, but mostly just while it's cold. When it warms up it's still pretty loud. It definitely adversely affected shifting. I'd be hesitant to use it again for noise.

Gotcha, good to know. It helped the M56 noise in the R as well, but not nearly as much when warmed up. I have noticed mine is a little notchy the first run thru the gears until fluid is moving, even with RL high temp ATF (actual Dex3 spec, not the generic spec available most places). Switching from the generic to the RL really quieted things down a good bit, though it's still loud.

Nobody cares about your excuses Harlard.

Quick update because I finished the fuel system upgrade.

I have a 50 GPH (At 15 psi. It will be operating at zero, so it should flow more.) Facet pump that will feed the surge tank.

The lines all pass through the floor via -6 bulkhead fittings. They're all 5/16 on the underside of the car.

The tank is mounted above the axle in the trunk, and I made -6 lines for it. I made a bracket that hold the tank and the OEM fuel filter.

That's it for now. Now to fix the intake manifold.

Looks great. Still deciding on what pump to use to feed my surge tank. Was also wondering how this should be plumbed. Your pics have been extremely helpful!

The build is looking great as always!

Thanks!

I had some generic dex/merc in my T5, and then added about .4 quarts of the stabilizer. It seemed to help the noise, but mostly just while it's cold. When it warms up it's still pretty loud. It definitely adversely affected shifting. I'd be hesitant to use it again for noise.

For the record I finished installing the vibration dampener Aerostar slip joint on my car and it actually made quite the difference, It is much more quiet around town, and less buzzy when off throttle. I bought this one from Evil bay, mine is a spicer/Ford branded unit

Be aware, this yoke requires a 1310 U joint, but there is a 1310 to 1330 U joint

https://www.ebay.com/p/OEM-Ford-Fro...rostar-4wd/1394381790?iid=332459702587&chn=ps

Killer work as always, and knuckle down because Davis is rapidly approaching and I am going to specifically see this car (and maybe catch a ride in it :oogle:)

For the record I finished installing the vibration dampener Aerostar slip joint on my car and it actually made quite the difference, It is much more quiet around town, and less buzzy when off throttle. I bought this one from Evil bay, mine is a spicer/Ford branded unit

Be aware, this yoke requires a 1310 U joint, but there is a 1310 to 1330 U joint

https://www.ebay.com/p/OEM-Ford-Fro...rostar-4wd/1394381790?iid=332459702587&chn=ps

Killer work as always, and knuckle down because Davis is rapidly approaching and I am going to specifically see this car (and maybe catch a ride in it :oogle:)

Oh, that's good to hear. I don't remember what u-joint the driveline place set me up with, but I thought he said it was the smallest one available for a T5 slip yoke. Maybe that's a 1310? I'll check eventually.

And thanks for the pressure re: Davis. I need it. There's still a lot to do, but the main item is 99% done now, thanks to a big afternoon of welding by Noah:

Attachments

• Manifold-1609.jpg
    Manifold-1609.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 337
Someday I'd like a manifold like that, looks soooo good!

If you need a thrash session, I am willing to drive over and lend hands where necessary, Shoot me a PM and I will get you my cell.

Nice! If/when I ever get back to CA, I wouldn't mind hunting you down, too.

Someday I'd like a manifold like that, looks soooo good!

If you need a thrash session, I am willing to drive over and lend hands where necessary, Shoot me a PM and I will get you my cell.

Thanks guys. I'm feeling pretty good about v2 of this car (fuel system, manifold, and some much needed engine bay adjustments).

Chris, this manifold is pretty sweet, but it's so over complicated because of the space constraints I'm dealing with. Noah and I were just talking about how fun/easy it would be to make one in a 240 and not have to make so many compromises.

Back