• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

S/V/C "Engine System Service Urgent" 2010 C30

volvowagoon

That message and a red exclaimation point popped up about a month ago, but the engine ran perfectly fine. I unplugged the battery for a few minutes while I pumped gas, plugged it back in, and the light didn't come back until today. Both times it happened while I was on the interstate doing about 80mph. I have no idea what volvo's logic is behind this light and message, so I'm stumped. I would think that a check engine light would come on if there was a problem. I need a guru! I'm used to working on older and dumber cars!

it seems like a very good idea to continue to drive 80 miles per hour with a message like that

What else am I supposed to do? Pull over and call roadside? It was running just fine, so I pulled over at the nearest exit. No codes stored.

I may have got the answer already. I found that low coolant is a possibility for for that light and message to come on. My system must have burped a good bubble since I changed the timing belt and water pump because the reservoir is almost empty. I'll fill it in a bit and report back if my problem persists.

I may have got the answer already. I found that low coolant is a possibility for for that light and message to come on. My system must have burped a good bubble since I changed the timing belt and water pump because the reservoir is almost empty. I'll fill it in a bit and report back if my problem persists.

K.

low coolant wont cause that. 90% chance you are going to need a new throttle actuator. Who ever does it, make sure that they replace all the pins in the connector at the same time.

There's probably an intermittent fault in some other system. P1 cars don't have any sort of coolant level sensor, which is criminal considering the electronic capability of the rest of the car.

I use pro level scan tools at the shop, but for $20 you may have luck with a bluetooth code reader going into your smartphone and you can read codes AND data. EDIT- I looked and they are as cheap as $4. No excuse anymore for not reading codes on an obd2 car.

Don't just delete codes, read them. That being said, I have something blocking the check engine light on my 240! I know why it's on though.

I use pro level scan tools at the shop, but for $20 you may have luck with a bluetooth code reader going into your smartphone and you can read codes AND data. EDIT- I looked and they are as cheap as $4. No excuse anymore for not reading codes on an obd2 car.

Don't just delete codes, read them. That being said, I have something blocking the check engine light on my 240! I know why it's on though.

I bet it's an oscilloscope that's blocking the light

As expected, nothing intelligent or useful from you. Just more bull****. Back on the ignore list you go.

Well now I feel like I've done something today, sorry you can't take a little joking around. I couldn't think of a good reason not to use a scope, other than sometimes you don't need to.

low coolant wont cause that. 90% chance you are going to need a new throttle actuator. Who ever does it, make sure that they replace all the pins in the connector at the same time.

Thanks for the insight. Do all of these red exclamation points come with a code? My Actron isn't reading anything, but it's nothing special. I've been looking for an excuse to get a nicer scan tool.

I know its not a volvo - but my lexus did this with oil pressure. I was running Nutella T6 garbage in there and the OP would drop at higher speeds/rpms but be fine around town. did an oil change with a group 4/5 oil and havnt had any issues in 2 years - 50k miles - and countless cold start burnouts.

Thanks for the insight. Do all of these red exclamation points come with a code? My Actron isn't reading anything, but it's nothing special. I've been looking for an excuse to get a nicer scan tool.

VIDA would probably tell you more, shame you're not closer to me or I'd be glad to scan it for you.

I know its not a volvo - but my lexus did this with oil pressure. I was running Nutella T6 garbage in there and the OP would drop at higher speeds/rpms but be fine around town. did an oil change with a group 4/5 oil and havnt had any issues in 2 years - 50k miles - and countless cold start burnouts.

Interesting. You didn't get an oil light?

Back