• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Ac line interchangeability

BurntValve

I would like to get the ac working in my 1993 240 as the summer approaches. I noticed that the high pressure line ( the one that comes from the compressor, over the engine, and into the receiver drier) has a hole worn through on the metal portion near the compressor. I looked up the part (pn: 3540656) and it seems its discontinued. Is there another line from later redblock cars that i could use? Also, do you guys think that having that hole in the line for however long could have damaged the compressor?

I would like to get the ac working in my 1993 240 as the summer approaches. I noticed that the high pressure line ( the one that comes from the compressor, over the engine, and into the receiver drier) has a hole worn through on the metal portion near the compressor. I looked up the part (pn: 3540656) and it seems its discontinued. Is there another line from later redblock cars that i could use? Also, do you guys think that having that hole in the line for however long could have damaged the compressor?

That is common. Volvo did a crappy job of routing that line. That is your low pressure line. There isn't anything else out there I know of that will fit. See if a hose shop can come up with something for the end with the hole worn in it. Otherwise, see if anyone has a used hose on here. It has to be from a 1993. The threads on the dryer end of the hose are 1993 only. The other end of the hose can come from almost any 240 1985 and newer. You will have to slightly bend it to get it to fit the angled outlet on the compressor.

NAPA, or any other large service shop can make any hose just about any way needed. After re plumbing two 240's the only fitting they did not have was the large connection to the output of the evaporator. We cut the fitting off the original hose and machine clamped it on the new hose. They will be able to do that to any other rigid parts of the hoses.

One caution . . . there is little flexibility in these hoses. If you have hard lines at each end of a hose bends must be aligned at original. Precise is not required but close is. If only one end has a hard line bend and the other is straight it does not matter.

If you read above, he has a hole in the hard line section that attaches to the compressor. Replacing the hose is not going to "fix" the problem. This is a common problem on the 1993 240 AC system. Volvo did a crappy job of routing the high pressure line. I have had 3 93 240s with the same issue. I've probably only had 10 93 240s total.

It is possible to use a Gates (or other manufacturer's) 45? 12/10 hose fitting at the compressor end of the low pressure hose and it will route it at the correct angle. See photo below. It's important to get the right 12/10 hose fitting as the hose is actually #12 but the fitting at the compressor is #10. I can dig up the correct Gates PN if you need it.

For the accumulator connection, I get my hydraulic hose guy to swage a hydraulic hose ferrule on the stock Volvo fitting along with the new #12 hose. The Volvo fitting at this location is a weird non-standard angle and is some sort of metric (M27 I believe) thread.

Use caution when dealing with the compressor fittings. The outlet/inlet on the stock Seiko compressor are aluminum and will break/strip if you even look at them funny. Just be gentle and don't go overboard tightening them. They don't require a lot of force to seal.

Dh695NZ.jpg

u8FFdN2.jpg

VEneeWs.jpg

Is it possible that you could have the metal part brazed or silver soldered? Old school HVAC guys used to do that kind if stuff. Might have to replace the rubber part after.

I've TIG welded 1/16" wall aluminum AC tubing/fittings with success, but not everyone has access to the equipment to do so.
Given the choice, the repair I outlined above is what I would do again instead of welding one up, particularly since the Volvo OE hose end at the compressor is such a terrible design.

Back