• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Ghetto-rig exhaust idea... feedback?

harry124

Because the pipe that connects the second muffler to the underaxle pipe is shorn off, I was wondering if there was another alternative to either replacing the muffler or welding it.

What I had in mind was to get a steel pipe that was smaller in diameter than the exhaust pipe, shove that in the muffler hole and j-b weld it on the outside then shove it in the underaxle pipe and clamp it. In theory (my head) it seems to make sense/would work, but is there anything that might prevent this? Bearing in mind that I have no idea what goes on inside of a muffler, nor do I care if the result is not emmissions friendly as the car is inspected until 2008.

Thanks,

Yea it will work,, for awhile,, but you will be creating a great restriction, a better method would be to get larger pipe and clamp to the outside of the existing pipe.

I would just use a clamp... but i dont have 2 pipes to work with, just one and a flush face muffler with a hole, the reason why i didn't just j-b weld in the first place.

would it be really loud w/ the muffler removed and a straight pipe all the way back? I still have the front muffler on the car.

harry124 said:
I would just use a clamp... but i dont have 2 pipes to work with, just one and a flush face muffler with a hole, the reason why i didn't just j-b weld in the first place.

would it be really loud w/ the muffler removed and a straight pipe all the way back? I still have the front muffler on the car.

it would make it noticably louder and nicer sounding :lol: one problem is that exahust gases may seep up into the cab area when u are not moving. a buddy of mine did this temporarily on his late 80s supra but it has turned permanent due to his lazyness lol. it did make his car sound more crisp tho :rofl:

Back