• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

[issue] LH2.2 Hall sensor + MS2

Here is my understanding of how MS works.

1) First, let me explain Trigger Return mode and how it differs from Basic Trigger mode.

Basic Trigger mode uses a single edge of the distributor hall sensor for all timing. MS delays spark from that edge for both cranking and running.

During cranking, the engine speed varies a lot. Delaying a long time from a single sensor edge can cause a big variation in spark timing while cranking.

Trigger Return mode can give better engine starting. In Trigger Return mode, MS uses the opposite edge of the hall sensor/slotted cup during cranking. During cranking, MS fires the spark immediately when the cranking edge of the hall sensor passes. This means that you must rotate your distributor to give the desired timing during cranking. None of the MS settings change Cranking advance when in Trigger Return mode. This cranking advance timing value gets entered into the MS Cranking Advance field (I don't know what MS uses this for). The max RPM to still be "Cranking" is set in the Startup/Cranking settings.

I'd suggest getting the engine running well in Basic Trigger mode first. If starting is difficult, you can then try Trigger Return mode.

2) I think you said that you can still run the engine with the original Motronic setup. If so, here's what I would do:

- Run with Motronic. Use a strobe light and rotate the distributor to give the factory specified timing. Lock down the distributor and don't move it again.
- Change to MS, in Basic Trigger mode.
- Temporarily set MS to FixedAdvance/FixedTiming mode, with a 10deg FixedTimingAdvance
- Start the engine and go to the MS IgnitionSetting/TriggerWizard
- Using a strobe light, adjust the MS IgnitionOffsetAngle until the strobe light shows the 10deg fixed advance.
- Change Timing from FixedAdvance back to UseTable.
- Using the strobe, see if idle timing is stable. Next, see if timing varies smoothly as you rev the engine.
- If timing is not stable, please run the MS Tooth Logger. Either post a link to the log (.csv) file, or post a screenshot of the log.

Hope this helps - Bob

Where did your distributor come from? And what model ignition control box did it use originally?

In the USA, LH2.2 fuel control was paired with either EZ117K or Chrysler ignition control. Both of these systems use a distributor with a fixed gear-to-rotor shaft. In the USA, the earlier K-Jet cars used a distributor with centrifugal advance and TZ TransistoriZed ignition.

Does your distributor have a fixed shaft between gear and rotor, or does it have centrifugal advance? If it has centrifugal advance, timing will vary with speed and it won't work with MS.

Is there some reason that you want to use the distributor for MS instead of the toothed flywheel?

Hall dizzy come from a b230e (kjet) no centrifugal advance.
On a motronic the vr sensor read the 144 tooth from starter ring + a sencond vr that read 1 pin on flywheel for set 0.

Back