• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Delphi or Airtex fuel pumps?

vivalavolvo

Has anyone ever used these pumps before?

I was looking at these for my 78 w/ k-jet...

Delphi and Airtex

They looks kinda cheap compared to the one on the car now, but are about 1/3 the price. I don't have to much to spend and its not the DD.

thanks!

I don't have that specific airtex pump in my car, but I used an airtex set of pumps in my 760turbo and they've been good for the last two years.

airtex is just a redistrbitor I think. There's an airtex pump that is sold for econoline vans that is actually made by walbro. I suspect it's sorta like "scantech" or something.

I don't have that specific airtex pump in my car, but I used an airtex set of pumps in my 760turbo and they've been good for the last two years.

airtex is just a redistrbitor I think. There's an airtex pump that is sold for econoline vans that is actually made by walbro. I suspect it's sorta like "scantech" or something.

Cool, thanks for the info. I asked my Volvo tech and he said they seem to hold up. I was concerned that they don't look as robust as the OEM and at ~125PSI i was concerned about reliability, but he's installed them in a lot of newer cars without issue and apparently they run higher pressures in the 60-80PSI range.

I'll pick one up Tuesday and report back.

Do a bit of research on the Airtex. I have seen plenty of the Airtex pumps sold as Volvo replacement pumps fail in a very short time. IMO, they are junk. The Volvo shop in town had a bucket filled with Airtex pumps he pulled off of cars that came into his shop with fuel supply problems. When I say filled, 20-30 Airtex pumps that failed. Considering that is just from the customers he has in the area, quite a high incidence of failure.

For the cost of either, you can buy a walbro cheaper. I'm not sure if walbro will work with K-jet though.

I've got one of the Airtex pumps for the econoline's, mustangs, etc. in the wagon. Going on a little over a year, no issues feeding the 60# delphi's at WOT. It's actually a Walbro pump, for about 20-30% less money. Only downfall to it over the Walbro is there's no check valve in the outlet, where the Walbro does have one.

Time to revive this puppy.

Any more impressions with the airtex pumps? My in-tank is groaning and moaning every time I mash the throttle.

I installed an Airtex E8778 in my 77. Its only been a few months but so far so good and it beats a non working/howling in tank pump any day. I picked the E8778 over the specific pumps for the car after chatting with Art. I was going to get it locally at Autozone for warranty replacements etc etc but there was one left on amazon for $18 shipped so I jumped on that one instead. Fit was perfect

Still rocking mine in the wagon, E85 or 91* it doesn't care. Dunno how many miles it has on it now, and it's been running 4-bar static, as high as 5.5bar under boost without issue (confirmed with a gauge taped to the windshield, running 20psi at WOT)

Airtex is a manufacturer with facilities in Illinois, not China. If you do the research Roy suggested you'll find their quality program was highlighted in a television show addressing the flight of American manufacturing. Maybe things have changed by now; brands just don't sit still any more.

I've heard all the thumbs down on Airtex main (positive displacement) pumps and I think I know why, if my one example is typical. Coupling of the motor to the pump itself is done differently from the Bosch, which I believe is the gold standard for these pumps.

But there is a big difference between the main pump and the tank pump. The Airtex tank pumps (the E8778 being referenced) have outperformed any other aftermarket GM style centrifugal I've tried. Maybe Delphi is GM, maybe not, but those with the AC (Delco) molded into the volute are one and the same planned-obsolescent tank pump that died early in your sister's Chevy and your own 244, subsequent to VDO's exit. Still talking tank pumps here. Bosch did not make them ever.

My one experience with an Airtex as main pump (k-jet) was it lasted only 40K.

fuel2754.jpg

An experience with an Airtex WATER pump was a big mistake... Not a manufacturing defect, but the design (or copy of a design) wouldn't push water at idle.

wpumps.jpg

But as a tank pump I've found none better. So far. Only been since '09.

tank783.jpg

I use DW200 for my Volvo and DW300 for my turbo dodge.

Quiet and 3 yr no fault warranty had me sold, and you can also buy directly from the manufacturer.

http://www.deatschwerks.com/products/fuel-pumps

Do you run that pump as a pre-pump while keeping a stock style main pump? What kind of flow rate would be needed to run a single intank pump?

What is the flow rate of the stock intank pump?

850 only have one intake pump and there is no inline pump. DW200 will flow over 400hp with gasoline.

Back