• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Console cover attachment/hardware

DME

vague member
I have honestly looked and looked and I can't find an answer. Too mundane, maybe. How does the front face of the center console (holding the hazard, AC, climate control, etc) attach to the side panels? Mine keeps flopping forward and I have a screw with rubber gaskets rammed into the side has hard as possible to make a friction fit. What may have once been a hole to keep the console in place is no longer a hole...more like a sideways "V". I also have no original hardware, just some screws on the top two holes, so I'd appreciate knowing what I ought to be looking for in terms of replacement.

Mille gracias

Dave

'84 244

The top hole gets a machine screw, the bottom hole get a plastic twist "plug". The loower section should have 2 small screws holding it back.
s-l1600.jpg

To be clear that top metal screw will go into the metal frame that is behind that console.

Looks like the one in the photo is cut for a knee bolster. In the '84, the screw on the drivers side will be higher. In my experience, that top machine screw is 6x1, with a phillips head and a black finish. The hole it threads into has a protruding sleeve to allow you to slip the side trim behind the console without crushing it when you tighten it.

The plastic quarter-turn fastener does not retain the console, it holds the side trim onto it.

At the bottom, there are two sheet-metal screws that face the shifter.

Yes the pic is later one but the procedure and look is almost the same. I think his is broken where the machine screws would enter.

Back