• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Weight of Empty/gutted 240

Old Iron

I Roll
More specifically a 245 without a damn thing except doors, hood and fender! Or at least close to it, even if you have weighed a 244/242 shell, I can add a little as the wagons are a bit heavier! I checked various sites and forums but could not find anything. I know I have seen mention of stripped 240 shell weight with no interior or engine in threads where people have either stripped the car down to nothing for restorations or for race car building!

Before everyone asks why I want to know such a seemingly pointless question, I have a spare 245 which I don't feel like getting running or bothering with to sell! I have always wanted a 245 camper/ trailer! This car is a good candidate for it! I just want to start planning so that I can come in under the 3,000 towing capacity of my other 245! Approval from the wife is already granted. So its 245 towing 245 camper time!

Last edited:
Why do all this work for a car I don't want to bother to get running or bother to haggle with people to sell, this is a different kind of work! I already have enough cars to maintain mechanically!

I scrapped an '86 244DL and I took everything off of it. I mean doors, glass, trunk lid, entire interior, front suspension, rear axle, fuel tank, engine, et al. It only weighed around 1000 pounds when I was done with it. I imagine the 245 would weigh a bit more due to the back portion.

I scrapped an '86 244DL and I took everything off of it. I mean doors, glass, trunk lid, entire interior, front suspension, rear axle, fuel tank, engine, et al. It only weighed around 1000 pounds when I was done with it. I imagine the 245 would weigh a bit more due to the back portion.

Ohh great info, that is incredible!

About 1000 without doors, engine, nuts, bolts, axle, glass.

Doors or hatch w/glass are about 55ea, hood about 50, fenders (front outers) 12 ea, front window glass about 20.

Pretty heavy for a trailer, but cheap. Gets alarmingly close to 2000lbs without the engine I figure. A stripper early 242 manual steering is about 2780 or something with big bumpers. Minus engine/trans/various comforts and front suspension and driveline, about 2K. Still heavy and not very efficient.

Lord Tenticle welded a hood over a gutted 745 in the front and put a trailer tongue on it. Stupid cheap for an enclosed trailer with springs/shocks, but heavy and clunky with a lot of extra parts/effort/safety equiptment, and a not greatly usable space either compared to a proper enclosed (especially aluminum) trailer.

It's already been done. Repost.

I'd argue the hideous tenticle rendition was probably the "right" way in that it was done stupid cheap and functional.

Ya, it's dumb until I make one hell of a nice camper, that will turn more heads then anything else! Repost, I guess, but I am not asking if it has been done, instead I am starting to figure out material choices and how much I need to lighten it up! May consider doing lexan for all the glass it helps enough! Honestly that 245 with the good tacked onto the looks horrible, I am way too much of a perfectionist to deal with that! Alsmost as bad as that white 1800 that what's his name in PA cut in half and wants $1500 for!

This is contingent on me not getting it running and all!

Ya, it's dumb until I make one hell of a nice camper, that will turn more heads then anything else! Repost, I guess, but I am not asking if it has been done, instead I am starting to figure out material choices and how much I need to lighten it up! May consider doing lexan for all the glass it helps enough! Honestly that 245 with the good tacked onto the looks horrible, I am way too much of a perfectionist to deal with that! Alsmost as bad as that white 1800 that what's his name in PA cut in half and wants $1500 for!

This is contingent on me not getting it running and all!

Riiiiiiiiiiight!

Good plan, spend a couple grand's worth of time and material to make something that's just more unsaleable crusher fodder.

Haha, I saw your user name before I clicked into the thread and cringed! Haha, I have plans for it! Your right though! Of I do this I have to go full force at it the last thing I need is a useless shell sitting in my driveway! Granted I have a massive driveway!

DSC_0197.jpg

DSC_0201.jpg

DSC_0198.jpg

DSC_0202.jpg

crosskountrytrip043.jpg

crosskountrytrip025.jpg

crosskountrytrip042.jpg

look, it's so simple... fix the other 240 wagon and sell it... put that money towards a small camping trailer, like a pop up or a tear drop or micro trailer.

How in the world would did you think that somehow "converting a 240 wagon into camper" to tow with my other 240 wagon is a good idea? :lol:

It is a terrible idea.

Even if you spent $5000 on it you would still end up towing around a steaming POS with a bunch of extra weight and very little usable space... like no little table and bench seat, no kitchen, no stove top, no shower, no bathroom, no running water, no bed, etc.

You wouldn't even be able to stand up in it.

Back