• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

225/45/17

'ol red

So before I finalize my transaction, I want to know, will 225/45/17 work on 17x8 rims at et20 offset? Some think so, others say maybe not. Anyone running this size? Any problems?

I had a set of wide 235/45/17's on 17" pegasus rims on my old 940 and there was no steering rub, though I did have to slightly roll the rear fender lips.
That's encouraging. I will roll the fenders if I have to but since they are only 225 not 235, they should be ok, I hope.

The tread width on my avons was also unusually wide for 235's, remember there is often just as much variation in tread width between different brands or tire lines when all else is equal as there is between different tire sizes. Look up the actual tread width, not the tire size width and as long as it's 8" or narrower you should be set.

The tread width on my avons was also unusually wide for 235's, remember there is often just as much variation in tread width between different brands or tire lines when all else is equal as there is between different tire sizes. Look up the actual tread width, not the tire size width and as long as it's 8" or narrower you should be set.
Tread width on these tires is 8.1".....think that's ok?

Falken Ziex 912 Ultra High Performance All Season

I went with those due to the high number of rainy days here in Vancouver. (Near the Pacific Northwest)

i have the 235/45/17 912's on my 91 940 wagon right now
on 17x8 ET19 rims

the only thing i had to do was remove part of the stock plastic wheel well liner

before having the 912's i had a set of 225/45/17 Pirelli P6000's
no modifications were required at all to fit the p6000's, they just simply fit

i have the 235/45/17 912's on my 91 940 wagon right now
on 17x8 ET19 rims

the only thing i had to do was remove part of the stock plastic wheel well liner

before having the 912's i had a set of 225/45/17 Pirelli P6000's
no modifications were required at all to fit the p6000's, they just simply fit

This is most encouraging, thank you.

So before I finalize my transaction, I want to know, will 225/45/17 work on 17x8 rims at et20 offset? Some think so, others say maybe not. Anyone running this size? Any problems?

235/45's fit up nicely... a 225/45 should be even less of a chance. In fact when these tires die I think the 255/40 will fit easily.
wagons.jpg

That is an easy fit, we aren't talking about a large tire here really. Turbo's came with 195's in stock form, so it's not a huge increase.

With a lip roll I agree you could likely squish a 255 in the back depending on rim width and how tall it is- not that I'd bother putting a 255 on an 8" rim... 235's just slightly stretch on my front rims which are 9". I'd probably want a 9.5" rim or so for a 255. 255 would really be pushing it in the front though. You'd probably need to yank on the fenders a bit.

I had 225s mounted onto some 18x8 wheels with an offset of 20 on my 940. There was no rub, they fit like OEM.

Thanks for the encouraging info. I was a little worried because the computer at discount tire said 215 was the largest that would fit but the guy on the phone there said they had to be conservative and that 225 would likely fit. I wanted to be sure and now I am.:cool:

That is an easy fit, we aren't talking about a large tire here really. Turbo's came with 195's in stock form, so it's not a huge increase.

With a lip roll I agree you could likely squish a 255 in the back depending on rim width and how tall it is- not that I'd bother putting a 255 on an 8" rim... 235's just slightly stretch on my front rims which are 9". I'd probably want a 9.5" rim or so for a 255. 255 would really be pushing it in the front though. You'd probably need to yank on the fenders a bit.

SCCA Solistices run a 285 on an 8 inch wheel and it IS faster then a 245 on an 8.... which is why they do it. F-Stock Stangs also run 285's on their 8.5 inch wheels. I ran 255's on 9's and yes it's wider then a 255 on an 8 but a 255 on an 8 will still work better then a 235. The other option is a 245/40 but I need the height for gearing reasons. The 255/40 is shorter then a 235/45 but only by .3 inch or so. I have a buddy who's about to run the one lap with a 265/35 on an 8.5 inch rim and it fits up very nicely.

Even if you get the offset just right, 255/40 on an 8" wheel on the back of a 240 is going to rub here and there depending on how much the axle articulates. Or jack up the ride height to help it clear.

SCCA Solistices run a 285 on an 8 inch wheel and it IS faster then a 245 on an 8.... which is why they do it. F-Stock Stangs also run 285's on their 8.5 inch wheels. I ran 255's on 9's and yes it's wider then a 255 on an 8 but a 255 on an 8 will still work better then a 235. The other option is a 245/40 but I need the height for gearing reasons. The 255/40 is shorter then a 235/45 but only by .3 inch or so. I have a buddy who's about to run the one lap with a 265/35 on an 8.5 inch rim and it fits up very nicely.

Dude I don't doubt track times could improve at least somewhat, but wagons especially pretty much transition like garbage trucks as it is, and I doubt oversizing the tire widths relative to the rim width really helps that, does it?

I would hesitate to suggest that the approach for a 245 would be the same as for a solstice. Just me.

Back