• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Question about IPD 28mm drop bars

M.H. Yount

In talking with a member here who's selling one of the old/original IPD 28mm drop bars for V6 cars (and V8), the pictures show what appears to be a deeper drop than the 25mm IPD drop bar currently on my car. In talking with BJ at IPD, he confirmed that some folks indicated contact between the old 28mm drop bar and the OEM Volvo splash pan.

So - for those of you with a 28mm drop bar --- is it one of older IPD bars or one of the group buy bars from a couple of years ago? And, does it clear the OEM splash pan?

Thanks - Michael

I had a 25 drop bar on my 87 for a while and it did not touch. Don't know if the 3mm will make a difference but though it would touch before putting the pan back. The were no issues with the 25mm drop bar.

Thanks -- I have had a 25mm drop bar on mine for quite some time - no interference. It's not the additional 1.5mm of bar (on the bottom) I'm wondering about. It's the dimension of the "drop". The pictures I've seen look (to my eye) like the drop in the old 28mm bar is bigger/deeper/longer (take your pick) than the drop in my 25mm drop bar. It will take some attention to detail to measure the drop in a way that allows a sure-fired comparison and I think the bar would have to be off the car (or at least out of the chassis brackets) to do so. It's the extra distance of the drop that I'm theorizing leads to some cases of interference with the OEM splash pan as IPD confirmed. Just trying to see if anyone has any experience with that. I doubt anything conclusive will come from the question here -- I think most just remove the splash pan if there's not enough room. But I thought I'd ask anyhow...

Back