• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

R12 to R134.

Change receiver drier, replace o-rings, use proper dose of ester oil. Vacuum the system down, add 1 lb of r134 with leak dye. Check for leaks with UV light. Add the rest of the charge slowly while watching the pressures and monitoring inside vent temps.

In b4 the propane mafia shows up.

Ok so why ester oil? Is that POE? Why not PAG? I have many ounces of oil from B&G that is just labeled "for 134".

Looks like I'm strongly leaning towards buying some r134 to r12 adapters, sucking it down, then blasting maybe two ounces of ____ oil in there and charging it 134.

PAG is not compatible with mineral oil that was used to lubricate the R12 systems; it will gum and gel up if it comes in contact with mineral oil. POE is compatible and freely and readily mixes with mineral oil. POE or "ester oil" is what you need to use. Add the two ounces to your receiver/drier. Pull a solid vacuum and send 134 home if that's the refrigerant that you have decided to use.

I went to the auto parts store and got 8 oz of Ester oil which is labeled to be for use with 134 and stable to any residual chlorine from r12. $8

I also got the r12 to r134 adapters $6

It's already buttoned up and it needs to be working today, so ima gonna skip the flush. Gonna add maybe 2 or so oz oil with an oil injector. Gonna load it up with 85% of 2.5lb spec for original r12. Gonna do pressure analysis too.

Wish me luck. Thanks for all the advice. Keep it coming.

Last edited:
D'oh. Forgot that one. It is also not hydroscopic like PAG or POE, so it won't absorb moisture. It is excellent as well. POE has better lubricity than PAO though. From my experience, POE is better for these older cars and their tiring compressors.

That's interesting. I'll have to do more looking into POE.

ZVOLV, if you do decide to flush and don't have a pro tool, then you might consider one of these.

Only one of the adapters I bought fit on the high side port of the compressor and used the r134 low side fitting. Whatev.

Vacuumed down for 30 min. Added 3 oz oil and 2.5 lb 134 and I now have 44 degree vent temps at idle with the newly added an efan conversion too while I was in there!!!

Wish me luck on the 8 hour drive to the Davis Volvo meet tomorrow. Maybe I will get to meet some more of y'all.

Thanks. Success!

Last edited:
Back