• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Cbevis 262 Bertone

Dang nabit!!!!

dusted the ol' Bert off this afternoon and drove it around the court, but immediately pulled back into the drive way when I recalled why I had put it away so early last fall.

Over heating and steam vents.

F

I guess I have a really good excuse to finally tear the dash apart. In addition to replacing the blower motor, looks like I'll be checking out the heater core too. I really hope I don't have to do a new head gasket....

ugh...I've never enjoyed taking 200 dashes apart....

wires? peh....who needs 'em...

fully assembled and bench tested blower motor assembly and new heater core...I wish I had checked to make sure the new blower motor resistor leads were long enough to get to the new blower motor speed selector switch....

Just found this thread. Nice Bertone!

I am facing the same heater core issue and not looking forward to it at all. I have replaced the blower motor in a 240 and don't remember having any fun doing it. Cannot yet grasp what the heater core will be like.

Subscribed.

Just found this thread. Nice Bertone!

I am facing the same heater core issue and not looking forward to it at all. I have replaced the blower motor in a 240 and don't remember having any fun doing it. Cannot yet grasp what the heater core will be like.

Subscribed.

All I can tell you is to take a BUNCH of photographs of how things are assembled...and to verify the new blower motor wires are long enough to make it to the new switch. (such a dumbass)

The alternative it to bypass the heater core all together....I though about it but figured since I already had the dash apart (I'm getting rid of a bunch of useless wires)....why not?

Last edited:
Minnesota . . . and you considered bypassing the heater . . . ?

I connected the heater hose together in the engine compartment until I get everything else done which be some time at the rate I work.

Minnesota . . . and you considered bypassing the heater . . . ?

I connected the heater hose together in the engine compartment until I get everything else done which be some time at the rate I work.

yeah, I'm hard core like that, lol....

I've got an S60R I drive daily. But the 262; I store it in the winter. Plus, the salt we throw down on the roads would kill it in short order.

Ultimately, I ended up replaced the core because without heat, defrost is useless (well...it's not exactly super effective without a dryer canister either but...more so than wet cold air). Way more PITA than I was expecting to be honest. If I had to do it again, I think I'd just take the whole housing unit out as one piece instead of piecemeal like I did. There are roughly 30 metal clips that hold the pieces together and I think I busted too much plastic getting them out while still mounted in the car. oops....

but...once you get the housing out and apart, the core just slides right out. Puting a new one in is easy too...just make sure you have some kind of adhesive backed foam tape to wrap the outside edges of the core with to ensure a tight fit. I found what I needed in the HVAC section of the local hardware store.

Forgot about the AC condensing unit.....if you still have AC....that works....and want to retain it, then THAT step is a PITA. All the manuals tell you to slide it out of the housing about 4" to allow the heater core to slide out the top. If I'm not mistaken, yours is an '81? That's got the newer style dash right? Or is it older like mine? If it's the older version, chances are the heater core housing won't allow you to simply slide it out the top. Even if it's the newer style dash...I'd be wary of the windshield getting in the way. Service manuals don't talk about 262 bertones specifically but considering the more extreme angle of the windshield from the 2" drop of the roof, I don't know that there's really any room for that condition anymore.

I got the Radar detector mirror display installed the other day. Went in better than I'd hoped.

First step, take out the front headliner and cut a trench in the foam backing for the wires to travel through.

feed wires through the mirror mounting hole.

Verify that the head liner does not interfere with the wires

cram the wires into the trench

ensure exit of the wires is at the top of the A-pillar so you can run them behind the A-pillar trim.

re-install head liner and A-pillar trim and admire seamless install.

Note to self...25' was WAY too long for the umbilical. I've got about 8' extra I need to cut out of the middle.

It's back together.....but now my carb is messed up somehow, I've got a tranny pan leaking like a sieve, and a leaking tranny cooler line fitting at the radiator.

sigh...

so....not a 350 turbo tranny...it's a 700R4. Which is good because that means a T5 will bolt up without having to change the drive shaft. Found one for $200....pretty excited about getting a manual tranny in here.

In other news....CAPT_BLOTTO clued me in on a full set of R-calipers from an '05 S60R in his neck of the woods. The guy picked them from the yard in order to get them installed into his STI but balked at all the adapter work you had to do to get them to work. So, I picked them up for $700 shipped.

Front

Rear

and I got the rest of the radar detector installed....

can't see it at all....works too. I mean...it turns on and the display works and everything but I actually have a 'detection' story to tell too. It's not very interesting except to say that I was tagged by a cop and the display lit up on the k-band...yay!

Engine bay is getting cleaned up a bit too

but, Boo! infested with field mice!!!

found five dead (or dying) mice on my garage floor the very next day. Saw and shot (with a BB gun pistol that just happened to be handy at the time) a sixth who must have been getting pretty close to dying....it wasn't moving very fast....

WOuld that make this a....Rat Rod?

Yeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :cool:

Back