• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

"Barn Find" 1980 242.

So... That manual rack... What's up? Also, was it a total chore popping the dash off to cover it? Did you sew the material yourself? Very impressive.

The manual rack will be up for sale as soon as I get the power in.

The dash pad unscrews from the front section and dash supports.

I did the dash my self. I have been doing upholstery for 7-8 years now. Making the cover wasn't too bad, but actually gluing it on and getting everything to fit is quite a chore.

Was the prep awful? Seems like it'd be hell to prep such an old dash. Is it a specialtt glue you used, or just good old contact cement?

Great work.

I picked up a 8.8 at the local yard this weekend. It is a 3.73 LSD from an explorer

I stripped it down and drilled out the dowels so i can press the long tube out.

A 4 ton porta power did not have enough balls to press the tube out. Either I did not get all of the weld bead or these tubes are really in there.

Last edited:
Well I do have a 20ton bottle jack press at the shop. I am having a brain fart on how that would be of any help to you.:oops:
(the exact setup to press out the axle tube would be a bit funky, plus dragging that axle down here is silly.)

Can you just cut the tube off at the housing and use your handy dandy oscillator to cut the remaining section out of the housing?

Do you have any way of getting a weight (even if only close) on that 8.8? I'd like to know the difference between that and a 1031.

The 8.8 fully with brakes an everything still attached is about 190 lbs. I felt quite heavy compared to the 1031, but then again I never had to lift the 1031 with everything attached. If I had to guess I would say it is a good 75 lbs heavier....but not too sure.

Well I do have a 20ton bottle jack press at the shop. I am having a brain fart on how that would be of any help to you.:oops:
(the exact setup to press out the axle tube would be a bit funky, plus dragging that axle down here is silly.)

Can you just cut the tube off at the housing and use your handy dandy oscillator to cut the remaining section out of the housing?

Bottle jack would work, but most only work vertically. I would just have to set it vertical. I have a few I can use as well here though.

Honestly If it was me I would do it the easy way.
That being lean it up against the wall with the joint opening facing up and treat it with penetrating oil every 8 hrs for 2 days, tapping the housing with a ball pen hammer after applying the oil. then on the 3rd day remove all exterior oil residue and fire up a propane torch and heat up the housing "slightly" not enough to warp anything just heat soak the center then try your port-a-press again. should make a nice POP and then your home free.:)

The 242 is supposed to be in primer at the end of this week. We need to take the doors off to properly jam in the nice new paint.

I found this sweet M1 tank hydraulic tool kit. Got it home and added fluid and it works amazing.

I used the double ram pusher to push out my axle tube. I didn't even have to put the handle on the jack.

The 242 still isn't in primer yet. I will stop making any sort of timeline goals anymore. The guy helping me is being slow, but helping get the car above and beyond what I ever intended. It has been raining for the last 2 weeks and the shop is borderline flooded too, so nothing will be happening paint wise until it drys up. It is going to be really nice.

In the meantime I turned the center clock/vents into a triple pod.

Update:

Progress has been rather depressing. The person I have doing the paint isn't meeting any sort of deadlines. I have almost lost interest and just want to throw the engine setup in the 244 as initially planned.

This will be the last time I ever let my car out of my garage. Nice or not, I at least have control over my project if its in my hands.

On the plus side, winter is almost here. I got some steelies for my 244 and painted them gold. ;)

Back