home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 08-11-2017, 11:01 PM   #1
roflcopter
Board Member

Default Daily Driven Drag Wagon vs The Dyno

I finally had some time to play with the 245 on the dyno a bit and see what it could do. Keep in mind this is on a stock N/A head and cam, 90+ manifold, etc. If I end up keeping the car(no serious bites yet), what would you suggest as the next step? If I want to make 300 then obviously a cam is in order, peak torque is happening as soon as boost comes on fully(~4100), but if I do a cam how aggressive should I go and is porting/big valves really a necessity?

Either way, I'm proud of this thing for what it is. 279hp/305tq @ 24psi. Better than a stock WRX for WAY cheaper.

Old 08-12-2017, 12:19 AM   #2
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

ipd cam at the very least. stg3 rsi if you're more srs. bigger valves and port work get lost with stock manifolds, so thats the slippery slope part

Now with in-house Dyno tuning!

Megasquirt Tuning!
Plug and play LH 2.4 Megasquirt, now with stealth mode!
linuxman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 05:56 AM   #3
mck1117
Board Member

279 on an M cam? Quite respectable. An IPD or RSI cam should do you well.

Side note: You willing to share your Megasquirt tune? I'm interested in your ignition timing. I have a similar b230f+t, 90+ manifold, etc.
mck1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 11:29 AM   #4
nomad1221
Board Member

Awesome! What turbo?
nomad1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 06:50 PM   #5
roflcopter
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxman51 View Post
ipd cam at the very least. stg3 rsi if you're more srs. bigger valves and port work get lost with stock manifolds, so thats the slippery slope part
That's actually a good thing... I wasn't looking forward to forking over for valves and all just to make the 300 mark. Hopefully someone buys this thing before I have to worry about it anyways. haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by mck1117 View Post
279 on an M cam? Quite respectable. An IPD or RSI cam should do you well.

Side note: You willing to share your Megasquirt tune? I'm interested in your ignition timing. I have a similar b230f+t, 90+ manifold, etc.
Thanks! And sure, although a lot of it is whack, and the only part that has really been tuned on the timing side is under full boost and once it spools, I will say that at 250kpa my ignition timing is ~10.5btdc at 4000rpm, tapers to 12.5btdc at 6000rpm. I'll post the full file if you want when I get home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad1221 View Post
Awesome! What turbo?
This is on a $120 ebay T04E.
roflcopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 05:20 AM   #6
OkeyDan
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roflcopter View Post
This is on a $120 ebay T04E.
Could you share the trim and A/R? Learned myself to understand flow maps only to find out ebay turbos don't have them:P.
OkeyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 08:00 AM   #7
roflcopter
Board Member

50 trim, I think it's quoted at a .60 A/R cold side. Running the .63 A/R hot side. My rule of rheum has always just been to use the compressor map from whatever turbo it's a knock off of but assume a bit less efficiency.
Old 08-13-2017, 08:15 AM   #8
tryingbe
Boosting along.

Start saving up for a transmission.
tryingbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 08:40 AM   #9
roflcopter
Board Member

I'm already running a modded AW71, blew the original AW70 up pretty early on. With all the abuse this 71 has seen over the last 20k miles and multiple trips to the strip I'm fairly confident in it.
Old 08-13-2017, 09:05 AM   #10
tryingbe
Boosting along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roflcopter View Post
I'm already running a modded AW71, blew the original AW70 up pretty early on. With all the abuse this 71 has seen over the last 20k miles and multiple trips to the strip I'm fairly confident in it.
Don't be. Thelostartof has gone thru 6-8 AW71, then he got a 200r4

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showth...t=transmission
tryingbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 09:16 AM   #11
roflcopter
Board Member

Since this is still a full everything daily driver I'm trying to avoid doing any chassis modifications. The car is currently for sale and I hope someone scoops it up, but if not then maybe in a year or two I'll try to make real power and beef up the driveline too.
Old 08-13-2017, 07:50 PM   #12
roflcopter
Board Member

So.... I guess I'm going to buy a cam or something. I'm going to put together a fresh 530 head for this car(if you have one for cheap let me know) and put some upgraded cam in it. I've spent the better part of today reading arguments dating from mid 2003 on which cam I should go with...

What do you guys think these days? What cams will work on a stock spring/valve head? If I go with a slightly milder one will it help spool times a bit since I'll be increasing flow before 3500 or so? (I don't hit full boost until 4100 right now) I know I'm somewhat RPM limited with this AW71, so would getting a cam that flows much past 6000 really be worth it?
Old 08-16-2017, 02:28 PM   #13
OkeyDan
Board Member

I Just looked at your dyno graph again and I didn't notice before, you're actually making peak power at 6 grand, i'd say that's not bad. Seeing how much the torgue dips in after 5k I would expect that indeed putting a cam in it would tip you over the 300 hp mark. You only need a little bit more torque at 6k to get there.

I don't feel experienced enough with these cars to give you advice on which cam to get, so hopefully someone else can answer that.
OkeyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 03:04 PM   #14
EivlEvo
Board Member

I went with the IPD turbo cam. It's a solid balance of usability and performance, but it is decidedly NOT a hot cam. You'll barely get any loping at idle and with an auto... every now and again you might even get a stall. I'd wager that's because I'm only on TLAO and LH2.4.

With RSI going out though... cam options seem a bit more limited.
EivlEvo is offline   Reply With Quote