• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

89 240 Wipers rest in UP position

mhgreen

Replaced my worn out wiper motor with a known good one... after install wipers come to rest at the top position rather than down. Didn't have the problem with the old motor but Replaced 32 year old intermittent wiper relay - no dice... thoughts?

I'm about to have to look into my own wiper motor to solve its slowness and now not-working-at-all-ness, but off the top of my head, here's a few things to look into

If you have an intermittent setting, do the wipers pause at the top or bottom of the travel?
Did you install the "rack" large gear in the same position as it was when you removed the dead motor (motor drive worm, worm turns large gear [what i'm calling a rack]) and there's some contacts for start/end of travel.

Motor wires could be flipped so motor turns the wrong way each time but since end stops are hit appropriately it still covers the correct pathing.

You can do it in situ. Remove the nut holding the arm to the motor, rotate the arm 180? and reinstall.

FIXED!

Incorrect position of the arm that connects to the motor. Honestly I think it was a mix of incorrect install + bad relay . New relay didn't fix problem because install was wonky. Now relay is good & linkage sorted out. Thanks !

*** the reason I suspect the OG relay was bad is because I know I initially had a correct install of the motor arm. Yet it was still stopping at top. So I tried to manipulate the linkage which resulted in bad install. Then when I replaced the relay only half the battle was won.

I fixed my not-working-at-all when it was working-but-slowly before.

When I was trying to remove it to take inside to look it over I had undone all the bolts including the one with the ground strap. When I drove it back in, it must have gotten a rust on rust connection and had a resistance in a MOhm range. I pulled it out, brushed it down, tried to brush in the hole some, put it back in and now have ~5Ohms. Ideally I'd get to sub 1Ohm but I'd probably need a narrow metal bristle brush OR to reroute the ground to a less rusty position. Still don't have phenomenal speed, but it's working again, so that's good. I did also brush the fuse and fuse holder to get the resistance there down quite a lot.

I also noticed that when I had taken the top cover off I had moved the plug block and the 3 arms were not each in their own groove which would have caused problems with range of motion.

For the future (when I want to fully remove the wiper motor assembly to clean or replace it), how would I take off the clips that hold it to the motion arms? I wasn't quite sure how the spring clip grabs on it. Do I need those weird pin pliers?

Back