• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Kenny's 1990 740 GLE, goin' for 9's

-transmission is out of goldie, and the short block is sorta underneath right now. going to have to study that one up a bit and figure out how to knock it over and slide it out.

after the engine is out, the cleaning can commence. the undercarriage is ****ing filthy. I forgot how much I hated nasty freaking oem oil caked undercoating. not sure I've got it in me though to spend weeks cleaning one off. we'll see, maybe when it's apart for the cage over winter or something.

engine's out, bay has been pressure-washed (first of many passes I'm sure) Going to try and get my intake manifold re-flanged today; or at least get started on it.

the undercarriage is ****ing filthy. I forgot how much I hated nasty freaking oem oil caked undercoating.

Quite recently i had the pleasure to use a hot-water high pressure washer for removing all sorts of grime under a car. The water that comes out is really hot, the washer heats it with a diesel burner of some sort. The whole machine was quite large too, not one of those tiny home-owners pressure washers.

Never has the cleaning of under coating and all that other nastiness been easier. If you have a place where you can use a pressure washer you should consider renting one of those washers for one day for that purpose. Takes the effort out of that job for sure.

I've had the pleasure of using one of those once as well. Compared to even a quality pressure washer, the difference is awesome! We had one at the dealership I worked at years ago. Something like 3500psi, 150*, it'd take off just about anything you put it to...including skin.

I'm thinking a combination of a laundry sink for a supply of decently hot water, and if that wasn't enough, find a "temp booster" out of a dead dish washer and you'd have a serious cleaning device!

Intake manifold is fixed, pan is off the old motor and relatively clean (going to strip it tomorrow after work), and I found time to build a valve opening apparatus for a 250 motorcycle head.

this evening's work:
port matched the new intake flange (what a mess) and smoothed that out
took a wire wheel to the oil pan after pounding out a couple dents, and then threw paint on that..
started to attempt to straighten out the brackets for the fuel rail. might just buy new ones.
flow tested the motorcycle head. interesting stuff there but nothing relevant to this.

might do some chassis work tomorrow or I might lop the bellhousing off the transmission and sort that whole thing out/check it over. Or I might work on the motor cycle head, it's kind of a neat aside from the normal monotony of automotive stuff.

today was a short day. took the traction control module off the spare q45 throttle body to see how it's going to work (it probably won't).
cleaned the intake manifold so I could look at how some things are going to mount up
put the turbo manifold on along with a turbo I borrowed from one of my honda buddies. I might have to buy it..
put the breather, oil pump drive, and oil pan on (not in that order).
started working on the vr sensor bracket.

got sidetracked by kent's 960 and a failing alternator.
cliffs:
cut the bell housing off the th350, gotta smooth the edges out but that won't take long with the ol angle grinder.
ordered a new tailshaft housing, hopefully that'll be here tomorrow. Gotta go buy another transmission mount (hah! $4) and get that stuff ready to go.

Looking to put the transmission and engine in the car this weekend, brake lines not withstanding. Maybe I'll start addressing that issue after work as well.

picked up my sliced and diced end tanks last night, probably foist those off on sam some time this weekend so I can get a flow test result from the new core (not that it means much, it's just an interesting aside)

hopefully we'll find out tomorrow where they can go.

pounded out the trans pan, although I'll probably just end up buying a newer deeper pan in the near future, it won't be a big deal to swap out on the car (and it's not like this ****heap is going to run any time soon). finished trimming the bellhousing off and applying finishing touches there.
went and borrowed an engine hoist, picked up the wastegates, checked the size difference on the end tanks vs the new core-good to go there, so I took the tanks home and cleaned up the edges. tomorrow I'll clean all the con/de-struction stuff out, and probably wire wheel em to make it easier for sam.

fun stuff.

Back