• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

How much to cut?

snafu

I recently picked up a set of springs for my 740 from the junkyard. I would like to cut them down to achive a 2 - 2.5 in. drop. I was looking for some tips on how much to cut and were to cut. Any info would be great.

Warren B.

My buddie Ryan(volvoracer82) cut about 2 coils off his 240 turbo springs.
Any more and I think it would be too much. 7-9 guys, have you cut your springs?

I cut one coil from the front, it got me about an inch or so drop, which is all I was after...

Park your car and peek under and look at the spring... measure the coils from the bottom and decide how much you'd like to lose.... I cut mine with a dremel. (off the car, obviously...)

It's a pain, but take it slow: maybe go 1 or 1.5 coils, put it all together, test drive, see how you like it, decide if you wanna go lower...
at least you're in a good spot where you have a spare set to go back to if you go too low....

Also, it's been my experience that whatever shocks you're running, even if they're nice, will die a quick death if you lower the car, as they've "gotten used to" riding at the previous height...

Is there an "easy way" to tell the difference between spring and shock wear/failure? My ride is a little harsher than I'd like. (BTW, lots of front susp bushings, etc. replaced in the last 2 years, good alignment, tires good and properly inflated, etc.)

do the bumper test.

push hard on the bumper (jump on it) of the car if it bounces back on you then everything is fine, if it dosent rebound its the shocks/struts

if yuor ride hight is low that would indicate springs i believe. also if the car continuously bounces up and down after you push on the bumper that is also a shock/strut thing.

I am not an expert, waite for someone else to chime in on this b4 you say, 'well infector said it was my shocks."

but its your shocks :e-shrug:

Hmmm.-Infector said it's my shocks, I think I'll go replace them.

Just kidding. The ride height seems OK, and I don't bottom out or anything. Just a little thumpier than I want.

I'll keep listening for more posts. Thanks.

1.5 coils on a 700/900 series front is good for all around driving. The ride is a little stiffer, but not much, Boge Turbo Gas shocks work well with the cutting. I have had no problems with bottoming out.

Most strut mounts need to re-drilled at the front to bring the alignment back into specs. Strut tower sag may also play a role in how much adjustment can be had, (they always sag towards the center of the car, unless a collision re-directs them too).

Getting deep into mods, one can mod the front suspension member and remove some material above the control arm to get lower w/o bottoming, but this is not for the faint of heart, and some welding may be required to reinforce area.

Back