• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Volvo 242 Powered by T5 in the UK....

340GLT

....well pulled by a T5 at least:rofl:
On sunday i took the trip up to see Griz and pick up the 242 he has had for the last few years.
I don't think any of us were expecting much when we took the tarpaulin off to reveal what lurked beneath. But to our surprise the car hadn't really got any worse.

I will be putting this back on the road after a full rebuild rust repair, on the face of it it needs inner & outer sills & back arches, then lots of local repairs in various places but i am pleased with what i have to start with.

Im pretty sure the car will be getting a 6Cyl whiteblock just not entirely sure which yet.
At the moment the project is just mothballed as i want the 340 done, but i wanted to pick the car up and put it in dry storage, (Currently in a unit with two 850R estates).

The day of pickup...
Started off taking up 6 spaces in mcdonalds car park, as you do. Next some snowy scenery in Brecon. Followed by the 242 in all her glory....

The 242 has been stood for a good few years and we were not too sure how much hassle it would be to retrieve from her nearly muddy grave.
But after finding keys we got in and the steering still worked, i took the handbrake off and low and behold with a big push the car tried to roll. After digging the rear tyres out we realized they were flat and the axle was dragging on the mud. Pumped tyres up and rolled straight out. Rolled through the lovely scenery of a National park aka grizs back garden and up onto the trailer for the journey home.

Im after any info anyone may have on this car, the UK reg is BMO 925T and after deciphering the vin no turned out the following.

Original spec was

Built in Goteburg
B21
Fuel injected
Catalytic converter
DL model
Without sunroof
AW55 Aisin Warner Gearbox
Left Hand Drive
California Market.....

Thanks Griz will keep all informed with progress.
Adam

IMG_3435_zpsbe8d294d.jpg

IMG_3436_zps5b821273.jpg

IMG_3437_zps3e3783bb.jpg

IMG_3438_zpse0a0a305.jpg

IMG_3439_zpsf395db2a.jpg

IMG_3440_zpsde2b928b.jpg

IMG_3442_zps2596702e.jpg

IMG_3443_zps16f6eccf.jpg

IMG_3444_zps229322d5.jpg

IMG_3445_zps74305657.jpg

It used to be a 16v at some point, hence the ****ing about with the bulkhead for Dizzy clearance.

I'll have to see if i can dig out some pics or the thread from back in the day when it nearly blinded me with rust falling into my eye and when i rebuilt the rear sill from fibreglass and metal mesh!!! I couldnt weld and we didnt have a welder so i did the best i could at the time.

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=21647

There ya go a thread from nearly 10 years ago!!!

If i recall the story correctly, the suspension stuff, rear spoiler and guages went to Welsh Mikes 244 GL, the 242 with 16v engine and getrag box was swapped with Dave slater for interior parts for the 244 which never materialised. Dont think welsh mike is holding his breath.

Parts of the 16v engine went into building the griz 16vturbo engine which is now residing somewhere else.

And Griz bought the remains which you now have.

oh the grief i took for letting dave take that car and never following through with his side!!!!

when i had it had been converted to RHD, had a 16V with headers (likely headers still there). getrag 265 with bell housing adapter made of plate steel. was running a proper hodgepodge mix of 360glt L jet with a 740 8V vacum ignition system likely off a carb 740. enjoy fixing the rust.

no if anyone knows what happened to my 244dl that i did actually care about :)

Looking at the photos of the engine in those old threads makes me wonder about the random mount welded to the o/s frame rail. I assumed it was some sort of engine mount, but appears not. There is also another mount welded the n/s strut tower that I assumed may be for mounting something. But appears not aswell. Would be nice to know what was there before the 16v.

Am I right in thinking the last time on the road was 2005? As I found a tax disc still in it.

I'm not worried about the rust, I can get all the panels and it's easier for me and much cheaper than importing one into the UK.
Thanks Adam

Assuming the rest of the 16v header is still in the car, I think I've got the matching flange which was cut off the end of them in my unit...!

cheers

James

Holy thread resurection or what!?

Sure I remember this 242 being for sale on Retrorides ages and ages ago.

Good luck with the build! Ive fancied importing a 242 for a long time but dont have the funds to pay for the shipping and stuff attached to it.

Back