• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Serious PCV/oil consumption problems

Brandon

So I've finally completed the 6 month long journey of neglecting and then reviving my 244. The car is k-jet/turbo, if it matters. Anyway, I finally spent this whole weekend doing just that, and I got the car running/driving under it's own power. Originally I was running a catch-can setup and having a problem with it swallowing oil, as I outlined in this thread here: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=278741

So I decided to go back to a stock-ish set-up for now.I didn't have a flame trap piece or housing since I'd long ago ditched it (the box was still there, I just mean the molded plastic piece/rubber hose) I ran a 1/2" hose from the top of the pcv box over to the air intake as it's done from the factory. I didn't run the small hose (like 3/16" or something) from the plastic flame trap to the vacuum port on the intake. Here's a pic of my simple set-up:

kvUvMTA.jpg

I took it for another drive after buttoning up some things, and it's even worse than before. There's so much oil being forced into the intake that after a 1/4 mile drive (I got back to the shop as soon as I noticed) I'd filled an entire street with blue smoke. The car is basically just inhaling oil from that breather box to the intake piping. I have no clue what it is or what I've run wrong on this car, as nothing has changed since the last set-up really. The only thing I did is swap the head/head gasket and eliminate the water lines to the turbo (a .60.63 off a turbocoupe). Initially I was thinking I could have wasted a turbo seal, but this issue really didn't start until I started messing around with the PCV. Any ideas? Is it that small hose/junction going to the intake that matters? I'm at a loss here and with the nice weather coming I'd love to have this thing on the road.

-Thanks, Brandon

Last edited:
Yeah that extra nipple on the flame trap is supposed to be hooked up to the intake. I believe it will keep the vacuum draw to the pcv while in motion.

You sure it's oil in the intake? A clogged or poorly flowing turbo oil drain will do that.

Hmm, I hadn't thought of that. Although I've used this oil drain in the past and have never had any issues. It's basically a factory top and bottom cut with about 4" of hose connecting them in the middle since normally the drain bumps into my garret actuator. I guess there could be rtv in the hole in the block, the only way to find out is to pull it I guess. The reason I thought it may be a PCV issue is because of the previous catch can issue I had in the linked thread in the first post.

Back