• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Motorcycles in 245 / 745 ??

M.Holder

Hello,

is anyone carrying motorcycles in their 245 or 745 Volvos?
If yes please post pictures!

I am wondering about it, cause I go often to trackdays and it would be cool if bikes are fitting into 245s...I just a 244; but a 245 would be a great addition sometime :cool:

- Max

Bikes need more space then you think.
You would have to convert a 245 into someting like this:
240pickup.jpg

Even if you manage to do this you probably need to leave the hatch open to use the longer deck space.
other option: 145 express, as you can see it is a bit higher.
6012831906_698f18b27a_z.jpg

even better option: an ambulance(notartzwagen).
volvo-265-ambulance-08.jpg

it's higher and longer and has a side entrance. You could load a bike and some spare wheels/tires and some tools.
They also exist based on 960/V90 platform:
4425230631_8e6dee39d3.jpg

I've fit two modified mopeds upright in the back of my 245. They are incredibly small compared to motorcycles though, especially with clip-ons and whatnot, they were barely short enough to fit in the hatch opening with the wheels still on.
Just get a small utility trailer to tow two motorcycles.

I regularly put my mopeds into my 245. I've had 3 Puch Maxis in it at once too. It usually requires at least turning the bars down (if you have more than one in there) and then you gotta get creative with angles. I can't imagine a motorcycle fitting, or being easy to get in there in the first place.

Overall my bike measures 1m in height.
Maybe removing the rear seat bank also helps with space...

A hearse 245 would be an idea :D

Mopeds. My benelli just barely squeezes but it'll mess upthe headliner if I'm not careful I'd imagine anything with m bars would fit fine. A hitch and a side roll on with some overloads are great. You'll need a roof rack to tie the bike to something

HITCH MOUNTED HAULER;

I once was so excited at the heartfelt, almost no strings GIFT of a deeply respected, true blue friend, that I yanked the front wheel & stood up a complete 1971 Bultaco Alpina in the trunk of my girlfriend's Sentra. I just "happened" by, for the twentieth time, to see if he'd sell it. He GAVE it to me as entertainment for the whole shop- on the ornery condition that I find a way right then and there to haul it. I think he wanted to laugh at me as he imagined me sleeping in the dog house after I stuffed it into her interior. I did not take the bait. Ancra tie downs prevailed.

Why not, though, instead, be smart, & just use a hitch mounted carrier?

There's also a hitch ball replacement, too, that either cradles the front wheel; or just the axle, no wheel.

Google "hitch mount motorcycle carrier"; there are several ingenious designs out there already. Rails, platforms, wells for wheels; it's endless.

One could just buy one, or fab one by combining the best design concepts.

Weight is a relative factor that can't be ignored.

The hitch mounted hauler/ "hitch hauler" puts a lot of extra, unplanned weight, and leveraged both far rearward, too far outboard-- and as well creating a wonky, much to high center of gravity.

Each factor alone, with enough weight, can create handling and even safety issues.

Within reason, say, a true dirt bike, thats less than 250 pounds, especially if minus both wheels, (weight & lower center of gravity); then such could be feasibly compensated for by mounting as low as possible, perhaps especially with no wheels. This is not a big deal to lift one end- re-stab the axle; then, in turn, the rear axle the same into the custom, adjustable mounts.

In an ideal fanta$y world, the (Ohlin?) $uspender$ would need beefier, adjustable and progressive spring rates, more tailored damping adjust abilities, too.

I was wondering about just the DIY adjustable spring perches, maybe some JC Whitney, or other cheaply sourced "Air Lift" bags to act somewhat as overloads inside the coils.

More than once I have mounted the front axle to the car- and left the rear tire on the pavement. This will, of course, eat high dollar dirt knobs in no time. A spare wheel fixes that. A front wheel on the hitch, while rolling the dirt bike's rear wheel on the ground means having no chance to back at all. This creates logistics unimagined, but, worst case- pull the axle and reposition both four and two wheelers at will.

Obviously, sufficiently overkill of safety avoids harm, risks, danger & lawsuits. Copious quantities of quality common sense in design and weld quality and extra rugged, legit quality tie downs are
IMPERATIVE.

There's also the junk yard score of a high dollar, aluminum wheelchair hauling hitch mount platform. Manufacturer's attorney driven, over engineered for a beefier power wheelchair weight load limits; yet manageable weight for remove & replace, storage, all with just one man.

Walmart and others have any number of (folding is good) designs and prices of just a platform.

Going without compensating for the weight, center of gravity is tenuous if much weight is involved.

Good design need not be complicated.

Back