• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

California 3" cat

mysurfwagon

What are you SoCal & NoCal TB'rs using out here for your 3" cat converters I've been on MagnaFlow website but it has changed and not sure about what's been proven to work. I'll be getting a new exhaust system in in a bit and looking for some suggestions since my new project need to pass smog here.

By the book, there is no 3" cat that'll pass smog on your car in California. Cats sold in CA require a laser etched executive order number and specific part number for the application. Since your car didn't come with a 3" cat from the factory, there isn't one that matches your application.

That said, the EO number is the same for all magnaflow automotive cats. Only the part number is different. You may get lucky with a 3" cat from another application and the smog tech only looks at the EO and not the part number.

Good luck getting anyone to ship a non EO cat to CA. They don't grandfather in areas that have advanced checks.

FYI...there is was no 3" legal cat available in California 6 months ago regardless of application. I was forced to put a 2.5" on my truck even, which came from the factory with a 3" exhaust and cat. Looks like they now have 3" options available again, however unless your smog guy doesn't check the numbers like they are required to, you can't get one with the correct p/n for the application, so you will get failed.

Yeah, thanks CARB/EPA/ politician of your choice.

Best bet is buy the 2.5" for your vehicle if they offer it, cut the end off, expand the housing to fit a 3" pipe into it.

Last edited:
What ^^^^ said.

If it passed the sniffer cleaner than stock but the cat doesn't have the correct number on it, you gotta replace it, even if it was correct when it was installed, but you don't have proof of when it was installed, or if you installed it yourself even.

Total BS.

Thanks again for the input and 122power I'll throw that 3" system in and let it ride if it flies then all good if not, well I had a go at it any way!!!

Last edited:
I ran a Magnaflow on my Dually with good results.

PB190013-M.jpg

Cat%20002-M.jpg

Back