home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2013, 03:42 PM   #1
+Kardboard+
Chinese guy/Swedish rides
 
+Kardboard+'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Default 1990+ 700/900 Front-End Setups

So, much to my friend DarkKratoz's chagrin, his 1991 744 SE's grille doesn't fit on his car after his with-fogs E-code conversion. Took me a while to dig up all the info here on TB, but I think we can summarize all this here:

Grille 1:
1990 740: Unique grille, headlight trim, hood. Comes in chrome waterfall and eggcrate. Non-fog 1990+ 740 E-codes fit (as shown).



Grille 2:
1991-1992 740, All 940s without fogs: Shared grilles, headlight trims, hood. Comes in chrome waterfall, all-black waterfall (740 SE), no factory eggcrates. Non-fog 1990+ 740 E-codes fit (as shown).



Grille 3:
All 940s with fogs, 1989+ 760s, 1990-1994 960s: Shared grilles, hoods as Grille 2 cars. Comes in chrome waterfall, eggcrate (1991-1992 940 only). 1991+ 940 E-codes with fogs fit.





So, know which grille you need before buying a random 940 eggcrate one and think that you can just slap it on to your non-fog 940.
__________________
'88 245DL Uncle Sven|'95 945T Darth Haul|'82 242GLT B23E Lumpy the Angry Viking (sold)|'77 244DL, red/sold.|'90 744T C3P-LOL, gold/sold

mtd240: I suspect "the wives" have a super-secret forum to discuss whether or not they will let us buy Volvo parts.
DavidSamuels: Not a website, a panel discussion/reality show. Real Housewives of Gothenburg.

-Feedback-

Last edited by +Kardboard+; 03-14-2018 at 01:19 PM..
+Kardboard+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 03:59 PM   #2
jerryc
Board Member
 
jerryc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: SF Bay area
Default

All true, but I believe that a fog type eggcrate center can be put in a waterfall 940 nonfog, with mods to the upper clips. I did not try it, but did compare closely and think the eggcrate center will fit in the other surround.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursan View Post
What's the female equivalent to a dick pic? twat shot?
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxJenoxX View Post
There isn't one because dudes aren't grossed out by unsolicited vaginas.
jerryc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:10 PM   #3
+Kardboard+
Chinese guy/Swedish rides
 
+Kardboard+'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Default

I've heard that too, but haven't had the opportunity to try it yet.
+Kardboard+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:10 PM   #4
Stripey
Board Member
 
Stripey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Default

Yep...they will work. I made one work for my 92. Pretty easy modification
__________________
1992 745 b230/t-cam/ipd springs & sways/style 5s
1970 Chevelle 468 bbc
Stripey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 12:05 PM   #5
chronicrhythm
Board Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Colebrook, CT
Default

Any more information about modifying a 91+ egg crate grill from a fog light setup to a non fog light setup?

Last edited by chronicrhythm; 03-14-2018 at 12:52 PM..
chronicrhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 01:17 PM   #6
+Kardboard+
Chinese guy/Swedish rides
 
+Kardboard+'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronicrhythm View Post
Any more information about modifying a 91+ egg crate grill from a fog light setup to a non fog light setup?
Won't work. Wrong size.

The only way to get an eggcrate on to a non-fog front is to convert it to a 1990 740 Turbo front end (one-year only style). You'll need the headlight surrounds/bezels and the grille. EDIT: And the hood too, if you're picky. I ran my car with a 940 hood for a while and it bugged the crap outta me. Ended up swapping to a 1990 740 hood.
+Kardboard+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 05:12 PM   #7
chronicrhythm
Board Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Colebrook, CT
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by +Kardboard+ View Post
Won't work. Wrong size.

The only way to get an eggcrate on to a non-fog front is to convert it to a 1990 740 Turbo front end (one-year only style). You'll need the headlight surrounds/bezels and the grille. EDIT: And the hood too, if you're picky. I ran my car with a 940 hood for a while and it bugged the crap outta me. Ended up swapping to a 1990 740 hood.
Thanks for the response. Sounds like I will just be painting my waterfall one then
chronicrhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 06:22 PM   #8
jfs356
Board Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Default

I am probably one of the few that likes the waterfall grille painted flat/satin black, leaving the chrome frame and bar as is...
jfs356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 06:31 PM   #9
PCH
Board Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: SoCal
Default

Love threads like this. Is it possible to add 91+ eggcrate variations to the first post?
PCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 07:15 PM   #10
+Kardboard+
Chinese guy/Swedish rides
 
+Kardboard+'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCH View Post
Love threads like this. Is it possible to add 91+ eggcrate variations to the first post?
You mean a photo of it? The 91+ eggcrates are the same size as the "Grille 3" listed above.
+Kardboard+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 10:23 PM   #11
chronicrhythm
Board Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Colebrook, CT
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfs356 View Post
I am probably one of the few that likes the waterfall grille painted flat/satin black, leaving the chrome frame and bar as is...
Thats what I did on my V40 and 850 and I really liked how they looked. I will probably do it again on this one.
chronicrhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 12:33 PM   #12
+Kardboard+
Chinese guy/Swedish rides
 
+Kardboard+'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfs356 View Post
I am probably one of the few that likes the waterfall grille painted flat/satin black, leaving the chrome frame and bar as is...
So, like a 240?
+Kardboard+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 10:15 PM   #13
stiligFox
Part-time Tinkerer
 
stiligFox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Austin, TX
Default

There’s something so sexy about that 740 with the 780 lower spoiler. Anyone know who it belongs to?
stiligFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 10:40 PM   #14
white855T
Board Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Dallas,TX
Default

This is my 94 940. Egg crate insert in a non-fog grille frame.

__________________
Buyer/Seller Feedback

http://turbobricks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=301654
white855T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 01:13 AM   #15
+Kardboard+
Chinese guy/Swedish rides
 
+Kardboard+'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiligFox View Post
There’s something so sexy about that 740 with the 780 lower spoiler. Anyone know who it belongs to?
My old car.
+Kardboard+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 02:46 AM   #16
stiligFox
Part-time Tinkerer
 
stiligFox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Austin, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by +Kardboard+ View Post
My old car.
Oh man thatís gorgeous. I love that chrome(?) eggcrate grill (at least it looks chrome).
stiligFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 07:24 AM   #17
DET17
Reformed SAABaholic
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: NW Georgia
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by white855T View Post
This is my 94 940. Egg crate insert in a non-fog grille frame.

This pretty much what I will be test fitting in the next month. I have an NOS 9 series fog eggcrate grill, and non-fog E codes enroute from the Netherlands. If it fits together will add a pic to this thread. Plan B is a non fog waterfall......and I suppose there is no plan C.
__________________
Project "cheap thrills" build thread: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showth...67#post4211467

Feedback thread: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=198746
DET17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 02:36 PM   #18
lummert
Board Member
 
lummert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Portland IN
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by +Kardboard+ View Post
So, much to my friend DarkKratoz's chagrin, his 1991 744 SE's grille doesn't fit on his car after his with-fogs E-code conversion. Took me a while to dig up all the info here on TB, but I think we can summarize all this here:

Grille 1:
1990 740: Unique grille, headlight trim, hood. Comes in chrome waterfall and eggcrate. Non-fog 1990+ 740 E-codes fit (as shown).



Grille 2:
1991-1992 740, All 940s without fogs: Shared grilles, headlight trims, hood. Comes in chrome waterfall, all-black waterfall (740 SE), no factory eggcrates. Non-fog 1990+ 740 E-codes fit (as shown).



Grille 3:
All 940s with fogs, 1989+ 760s, 1990-1994 960s: Shared grilles, hoods as Grille 2 cars. Comes in chrome waterfall, eggcrate (1991-1992 940 only). 1991+ 940 E-codes with fogs fit.





So, know which grille you need before buying a random 940 eggcrate one and think that you can just slap it on to your non-fog 940.
88-90 760 shares the same grille. My 88 765 is identical to the wagon in Grille 3 picture.
__________________
Trying to understand stupid people is like trying to pick up a turd by the clean end.
lummert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 04:13 PM   #19
PCH
Board Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: SoCal
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by white855T View Post
This is my 94 940. Egg crate insert in a non-fog grille frame.

'90 Only egg crate fits into the '91+ non fog frame? Or which egg crate is it?
PCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 07:10 AM   #20
white855T
Board Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Dallas,TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCH View Post
'90 Only egg crate fits into the '91+ non fog frame? Or which egg crate is it?
91-95 940 fog light egg crate grille insert in a non fog light grill frame(91-92 740, 91-95 940). The 90 740 grille is a one year grille.
white855T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 07:15 AM   #21
white855T
Board Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Dallas,TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DET17 View Post
This pretty much what I will be test fitting in the next month. I have an NOS 9 series fog eggcrate grill, and non-fog E codes enroute from the Netherlands. If it fits together will add a pic to this thread. Plan B is a non fog waterfall......and I suppose there is no plan C.
You do know that you will have to remove the egg crate insert which involves drilling out rivets? I would buy a cheap egg crate grille to mess with and not mess up a NOS grille(or sell it). When you have both grilles together, you will see how easy it all goes together. I used nuts and bolts to secure the egg crate insert in the grille frame but I suppose you can use rivets too(I had some but didn't bother looking for them).
white855T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 04:22 PM   #22
DET17
Reformed SAABaholic
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: NW Georgia
Default

I won't bugger up the NOS egg crate, if it needs mods to fit. I have a painted (grey perimeter) non-fog grille, which is now in my 92 745.... and a clean chrome waterfall from a 94 non-fog donor. Will probably pick the best looking of them and run it "as is"..... I don't need to keep working to get my DD back on the road! As Sgt. Hulka said.... "I'm getting too old for this sh*&"
DET17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 12:21 AM   #23
+Kardboard+
Chinese guy/Swedish rides
 
+Kardboard+'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiligFox View Post
Oh man thatís gorgeous. I love that chrome(?) eggcrate grill (at least it looks chrome).
LOL no...that's just really badly worn black for that whole grille.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lummert View Post
88-90 760 shares the same grille. My 88 765 is identical to the wagon in Grille 3 picture.
Yup, that's an '89 765T.
Quote:
Originally Posted by white855T View Post
91-95 940 fog light egg crate grille insert in a non fog light grill frame(91-92 740, 91-95 940). The 90 740 grille is a one year grille.
The 940 with-fog egg crate is '91-'92 only.
+Kardboard+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 10:31 AM   #24
lummert
Board Member
 
lummert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Portland IN
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by +Kardboard+ View Post
LOL no...that's just really badly worn black for that whole grille.

Yup, that's an '89 765T.


The 940 with-fog egg crate is '91-'92 only.
An egg crate grille from a 940 with fogs will fit 88-90 760 and 92-94 960.
lummert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 11:14 AM   #25
+Kardboard+
Chinese guy/Swedish rides
 
+Kardboard+'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Default

Yeah, that's because all those are the same front end with fogs.
+Kardboard+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:07 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.