home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 10-12-2016, 11:27 AM   #1
oifish
Scooty Killmar

Default Quality windshield replacement around Indianapolis?

It's time to replace my hazy, scratched to hell windshield. Does anyone know of a quality glass shop in Indianapolis that can do this? I called a local Volvo shop and they recommended Safelite or ABRA....but they also recommended a using stop leak for my blown headgasket

Buy/Sell Feedback
oifish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 04:29 PM   #2
EivlEvo
Board Member

Not in Indy, but I used safelite for my Evo. It was quality work, but it kind of depends on the person you get. They seemed to respect my car, and I respected their space while letting them know what I'd like done.
EivlEvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 11:40 AM   #3
lverhagen
negahrevl

Positive experience with Safelite for me as well. I had the windshield replaced on my 940 about a year ago. If possible, let the technician know that you care by talking through some obthe finer points of the install.

7/900 Parts for Sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareD View Post
Restore this thread to stock.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double02 View Post
I don't know. It's so far outside any objective measure of taste that it's pretty much immune to criticism.
Current Cars:
1987 Volvo 740 Sedan ~177k - ultra-swag beater/lender status (aiming for stage -1 at best)

1989 Volvo 740 Turbo Intercooler Wagon ~150k - some body and suspension damage resulting in a currently undecided fate

1995 Volvo 940 Sedan ~180k - bringing up to stage zero and beyond
lverhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 03:02 PM   #4
oifish
Scooty Killmar

Quote:
Originally Posted by lverhagen View Post
If possible, let the technician know that you care by talking through some obthe finer points of the install.
what do you mean by this?

I was planning on doing all the prep myself, like removing the panel under the windshield and the wiper arms.
Old 10-14-2016, 12:32 AM   #5
lverhagen
negahrevl

Quote:
Originally Posted by oifish View Post
what do you mean by this?

I was planning on doing all the prep myself, like removing the panel under the windshield and the wiper arms.
When I had mine replaced, I was able to check in on the technician's progress and ask him questions about the install along the way. For instance, I had done a fair amount of research regarding the windshield trim clips, which occasionally seem to be difficult for installers to even find, and spoke to him about whether or not he had any replacements, and the possibility of removing the trim altogether and installing a gasket surround instead. The technician seemed to respect and appreciate the familiarity I had with the procedure and I'd like to think that had a positive effect on his work. I wasn't hovering over him while he worked, but I showed interest and understanding while letting the man do his job.

Hope that helps.
lverhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 09:45 AM   #6
EivlEvo
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lverhagen View Post
When I had mine replaced, I was able to check in on the technician's progress and ask him questions about the install along the way. For instance, I had done a fair amount of research regarding the windshield trim clips, which occasionally seem to be difficult for installers to even find, and spoke to him about whether or not he had any replacements, and the possibility of removing the trim altogether and installing a gasket surround instead. The technician seemed to respect and appreciate the familiarity I had with the procedure and I'd like to think that had a positive effect on his work. I wasn't hovering over him while he worked, but I showed interest and understanding while letting the man do his job.

Hope that helps.
Yeah this. I talked cars with him while he was setting up. Let him know that I gave a crap about his trade and respected his ability to provide quality work. Grabbed him a red bull and let him work. I popped back out every now and again to just see what the process was looking like.

Interestingly enough the Evo was cake. He mentioned the 240 being a PITA.
EivlEvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 10:05 AM   #7
SquareD
An Anomaly

When I had the windshield replaced in my old 944, I pulled the cowl and had a bag of trim clips ready to replace broken ones. I did what others said, made it clear that I cared about the car but let the guy do his job. I had a PPG window put in first and it was wavy and subpar (chinese) glass. I voiced my dissatisfaction and requested Pilkington and it turned out to be a wavy, no-name (Chinese) windshield that Pilkington distributors provide. I gave up.
1994 945ti | 15g @ 14psi, Turbosmart EBC, AEM Failsafe WB, 3"/2.5" exhaust, do88 intercooler, iPd cam, STS cam gear, Ostrich LH tune, sbabbs EZK chip, green giants, K&N, Yoshifab CCV/Can/Cap, iPd SS brake lines, TME, Eibach, BNE, Koni suspension, iPd sways, iPd panhard, Cherry Turbos upper/lower braces, forged BBS RG-Rs, Michelin Pilot SS, ecodes, V90 bits.
1985 744ti | 13.8 @ 100.5 mph - Sold after 20 years.
SquareD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 12:41 PM   #8
oifish
Scooty Killmar

With ABRA there is a selection when requesting a quote for "Premium glass". Hopefully this is something of higher quality not wavy chinese glass. I haven't heard back from them yet, but I'll contact safelite as well.

I'm guessing the clips you mention are #4 in this diagram: http://www.volvooemparts.com/a/Volvo.../GR-45985.html
Old 10-14-2016, 12:50 PM   #9
oifish
Scooty Killmar

Scratch that, #5 & 6 appear to be the trim clips: http://www.volvooemparts.com/a/Volvo.../GR-50903.html

Any idea how many are needed?

Is it a good idea to get some of the windshield spacers as well? (#4 in my previous post)

Sorry for so many questions, I have no experience with this. All my skills are purely mechanical...
Old 10-14-2016, 03:44 PM   #10
TempleUWS6
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareD View Post
When I had the windshield replaced in my old 944, I pulled the cowl and had a bag of trim clips ready to replace broken ones. I did what others said, made it clear that I cared about the car but let the guy do his job. I had a PPG window put in first and it was wavy and subpar (chinese) glass. I voiced my dissatisfaction and requested Pilkington and it turned out to be a wavy, no-name (Chinese) windshield that Pilkington distributors provide. I gave up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oifish View Post
With ABRA there is a selection when requesting a quote for "Premium glass". Hopefully this is something of higher quality not wavy chinese glass. I haven't heard back from them yet, but I'll contact safelite as well.

I'm guessing the clips you mention are #4 in this diagram: http://www.volvooemparts.com/a/Volvo.../GR-45985.html

Glass shop chiming in here.

Safelite is hit or miss, I've seen some real horror shows from them, but it all depends on the tech doing the work. Keep in mind they like to give you a price but not include all the fee's (mobile, disposal, tax) until they hand you the bill once its done. I'd recommend going with a smaller shop with a set location and some accountability behind it (like the one I work at); ask for the total price with tax and any fees included.

Either way, request that they use Pilkington Glass as previously mentioned. I replaced the glass in my 240 a few months ago and ordered from Pilkington but the glass I received didn't say Pilkington on the glass or even the stickers, just that it was made in China. Now don't be too alarmed, because most of them are and the quality of that windshield was fine. There are some other Chinese brands that we use as a last resort and have only had a handful of low quality ones. The problem is sometimes its hard to notice distortion in the glass until its already installed.

With that being said the Pilkington glass is available (at least I can get it currently), so you should be good there. As for the clips, you should only need a few worst case, the tech should be able to save the majority of them. When he shows up, ask him if you could take a look at the glass, have him stand it up on his stand so you can look through it, look side to side, top to bottom while moving around so you try and detect any distortion. I can get you a straight answer on the clips this weekend when I hit the junkyard, I have several 7/9s to choose from, I'll pop the trim and check it all out for you. There's only like 3 or 4 on each side and top.
'02 Trans Am WS6-Konis+Stranos, full exhaust, 353rwhp/373rwtq, Fikse FM5
'76 BMW R75/6
TempleUWS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 04:17 PM   #11
stiligFox
Part-time Tinkerer

When I had mine replaced in my 960 due to wear and pitting, we had it done under insurance and it cost them like $300. I'm not sure what brand it is (PPG sounds familiar) but it's got the worst ripples on the passenger side; makes me feel rather bummed :(

Turns out you can order the glass from the Volvo Parts Lisle dealer for like $50 more - is that good glass usually?

EDIT: it's actually cheaper now than a few years ago - http://volvopartslisle.com/assembly/...d-Door-Windows

Is this OEM glass?
stiligFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 04:30 PM   #12
SquareD
An Anomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiligFox View Post
When I had mine replaced in my 960 due to wear and pitting, we had it done under insurance and it cost them like $300. I'm not sure what brand it is (PPG sounds familiar) but it's got the worst ripples on the passenger side; makes me feel rather bummed :(

Turns out you can order the glass from the Volvo Parts Lisle dealer for like $50 more - is that good glass usually?

EDIT: it's actually cheaper now than a few years ago - http://volvopartslisle.com/assembly/...d-Door-Windows

Is this OEM glass?
When I called dealerships before my previously mentioned episode, they basically told me they would have no idea what would come; just that it would be from an OE supplier. So there's a good change I would have paid a bunch more for "Volvo" glass only to have a wavy Chinese Pilkington distributed windshield show up.

I almost want to find a remaining "volvo" windshield just to hoard it.
SquareD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 12:42 PM   #13
oifish
Scooty Killmar

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleUWS6 View Post
...I can get you a straight answer on the clips this weekend when I hit the junkyard, I have several 7/9s to choose from, I'll pop the trim and check it all out for you. There's only like 3 or 4 on each side and top.
Right on, thanks for the advice! Any update on the # of clips?