• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

93 240 auto transmission problems

vwblue1967

1993 240 with automatic transmission.

Car has always shifted great and I've been able to easily move the gear selector from park to the low position.

Several weeks ago it only allowed me to shift from park - drive. I can no longer manually shift into the low gears. It hasn't been an issue but I had planned to flush the ATF and I know you need to cycle through the gears to check the fluid level. Yesterday the transmission started to slip a little from a stop. The fluid level looked ok (again not being able to cycle through the gears before checking).

I'm not sure if the two issues are related but wanted to see if anyone had ideas. Car has under 180k. I wasn't sure if a new mount, filter and flush could possibly fix or hunt for another trans.

Thanks

Any AW-71 will work. The only issue is the cut out for the crank position sensor. 1989 and newer will have the cut out, or, will have the bell housing cast so that piece can be knocked out.

Nah I think auto trans need to be cut out. Manual have the plate that can get smacked out.

Any AW-71 will work. The only issue is the cut out for the crank position sensor. 1989 and newer will have the cut out, or, will have the bell housing cast so that piece can be knocked out.

And the kick down cable for a 240 Turbo is different, not that he's going to find one of those...

I believe I've seen one 240 turbo in person.

I see more 7 and 9 series around here. I'm hoping to find a newer one around.

I was really hoping someone​ would say nah, it's cool just do this and it will stop slipping and you'll be able to select any gear. But I guess it's got to happen. I've driven 240s for the past 6 years or so, all get driven a lot (60 mile commute to work) and all high mileage. I find a 93 with 177k and the trans start messing up. I've noticed it leaks a good bit too. It may have not been taken care of.

Back