• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

California smog and +T?

stock. You need the back pressure with a sub 100hp car.

stumble.png

Think about what you just said.

...Now, are you still sayin' the same thing?

Last edited:
I recently went through a full 940 (motor, when, vacuum stuff, computers, matching cat) swap into my 1980 242. It didn't go so well, the car also has a T5, and the BAR ref wouldn't pass it because it didn't have the auto trans that the 1990 940 originally came with.

I've been told not all refs would check that, but it was my experience. Car is registered out of state now and I'll deal with the consequences should that day arise. It's a shame really, I spent a ton of time and effort making sure all the emissions stuff was up to snuff (passed the sniff test by 50% across the board) and now I'm going to rip it all out.

Interesting. Were there any issues aside from the gearbox?

My swap plans are on temporary hold, my DD got stolen last week, not sure if I'll get a something that needs work but I gotta reserve time to sort that all out.

I recently went through a full 940 (motor, when, vacuum stuff, computers, matching cat) swap into my 1980 242. It didn't go so well, the car also has a T5, and the BAR ref wouldn't pass it because it didn't have the auto trans that the 1990 940 originally came with.

CA bull****.

My car pass AZ emission fine, on mircosquirt. :oogle: AZ checks tailpipe emission, hoses to the canisters, and make sure the gas tank doens't leak.

IMG_20170918_180421174.jpg

If you call it a 1991 740 swap, then you could get away with a manual. I looked into this heavily. 1991 was the last year that Volvo offered a B230FT with a manual trans behind it in the US. You would probably need to find a VIN from a 1991 740 Turbo /manual and tell them that was the donor car. ECUs are interchangeable (or maybe the same exact part) as a 940T. Also if your 240 was originally CA emissions (look on the stickers) then your 940 or "740" also needs to be a CA emissions version. If your 240 was 49-state, then you can use either a CA or 49-state donor car for the drivetrain.

Also - save yourself some major headaches and re-use your original 240 engine wiring harness. The 740/940 harness needs lots of modification to work, but the 240 harness will plug into everything on the B230FT engine including ECU & EZK. No need to change that.

Also if your 240 was originally CA emissions (look on the stickers) then your 940 or "740" also needs to be a CA emissions version. If your 240 was 49-state, then you can use either a CA or 49-state donor car for the drivetrain.

Thanks for the tip. The sticker on the strut tower for the donor car says "This vehicle conforms to US EPA regulations applicable to 1991 model year vehicles." It doesn't say CA or 49-state anywhere on there. Any idea if that's a problem? The PO said the original owner was from the east coast so this has me concerned. I'll check the recipient car when my wife gets home from work but I'm pretty sure its a CA car, bought it from the original owner family out here.

Do they need to see the VIN from the donor car, or if I present it as a 91 CA car and make sure all the appropriate CA smog gear is there (if different), will that be OK?

I just checked. I see the 5th injector on the bottom/center of the intake manifold, I assume that's the cold start injector. I don't see EGR, and the vacuum hose routing diagram doesn't show it so I think that's a no.

Yea you will have to add EGR. There is a hard line that goes to the intake manifold and exhaust manifold. That is the easiest way to tell

Back