home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 01-30-2017, 09:19 AM   #26
BDKR
Section 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosbySweater View Post
whats so bad about microsquirt? the fact that tons of people use it and there is support all over the internet? oh yea that sucks big time
I don't think anyone really thinks MS is bad, unless they just need to justify in their minds why they spent more on something else.

But from the viewpoint of a developer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrey View Post
...which loves sending "cease and desist" letters ...
...that's a bummer!

To audrey: That kind of chat is inflammatory. Can you prove this has been done and elaborate on the circumstances?

That all said, competition is a good thing. Even if it's just a threat of competition, I have to believe Megasquirt has been nothing short of disruptive to other stand alone producers.

Knuth also cites a letter sent to him by Dijkstra, in which the latter adds some nuance to this earlier statements: "Please don't fall into the trap of believing that I am terribly dogmatical about [the go to statement]. I have the uncomfortable feeling that others are making a religion out of it, as if the conceptual problems of programming could be solved by a single trick, by a simple form of coding discipline!"
BDKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 10:19 AM   #27
Dirty Rick
Board Member

MegaSquirt not MicroSquirt.

MS2 with a v3.0 mainboard is the way to go.

Far too many buy a MicroSquirt and them try to make it do the things a MS2 can do and have a less than stellar experience.
Dirty Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 10:28 AM   #28
740atl
educator monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDKR View Post
That all said, competition is a good thing. Even if it's just a threat of competition, I have to believe Megasquirt has been nothing short of disruptive to other stand alone producers.
I believe Bowling and Grippo take to task the "developers" that take their (B&G) schematics, rearrange them on a different board, call the design their own and then sell them... at least that's how I understand it.... I could be mistaken.
740atl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 10:54 AM   #29
t8fanning
8v are still cool, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Rick View Post
Far too many buy a MicroSquirt and them try to make it do the things a MS2 can do and have a less than stellar experience.
Like what?
Old 01-30-2017, 11:03 AM   #30
VB242
One hundred gift baskets

Quote:
Originally Posted by t8fanning View Post
Like what?
It can't do sequential injection or coil on plug for a V8 I believe.
Old 01-30-2017, 11:22 AM   #31
grnmachine02
Indicating?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VB242 View Post
It can. Well, maybe not sequential, but sloppy mechanics sells a plug and play microsquirt for LS swaps.

edit:// An LS is considered COP yes? Not Coil near plug, or whatever the hell they call it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikep View Post

Rage boner achieved.
grnmachine02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 11:22 AM   #32
t8fanning

Quote:
You're right. The one limitation of microsquirt that I've found is the limited fuel outputs. But that is offset by the cost, size, and available support in my opinion. Plus you don't have to use a DB37.
t8fanning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 11:24 AM   #33
t8fanning

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnmachine02 View Post
It can. Well, maybe not sequential, but sloppy mechanics sells a plug and play microsquirt for LS swaps.
You can control as many cylinders as you want, but you only have two fuel channels. So for controlling a V8 there are two fuel banks of 4 cylinders. So far from sequential.
t8fanning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 11:55 AM   #34
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

Quote:
neither can an ms2. the closest you can get is fully sequential with 4 cylinders and additional circuitry. To which I would say... if you can't get it working with a micro, you're going to have a hell of a time getting it working with ms2 and building out additional circuits. Just sayin'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnmachine02 View Post

edit:// An LS is considered COP yes? Not Coil near plug, or whatever the hell they call it?
ls coils are CNP, but it's a coil per hole. Micro runs LS engines in wasted spark mode.

Quote:
You're right. The one limitation of microsquirt that I've found is the limited fuel outputs. But that is offset by the cost, size, and available support in my opinion. Plus you don't have to use a DB37.
It's a budget ecu that's fantastic for *most* people... and doesn't require assembly..

Quote:
You can control as many cylinders as you want, but you only have two fuel channels. So for controlling a V8 there are two fuel banks of 4 cylinders. So far from sequential.
well... yes to a certain extent. it also largely depends on how things are set up.

You get cease and desist letters from B&G when you use megasquirt software on unlicensed hardware. It is *not* freeware and it is not really open source.

So crying about breaking IP law generally just means that you're a hack who can't or won't code up your own junk.

Now with in-house Dyno tuning!

Megasquirt Tuning!
Plug and play LH 2.4 Megasquirt, now with stealth mode!
linuxman51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 12:29 PM   #35
grnmachine02
Indicating?

Quote:
I was referring to the ignition side, but I forgot it was in wasted spark as Kenny pointed out.
Old 01-30-2017, 12:32 PM   #36
cosbySweater
Board Member

i got microsquirt on my 5.3. its simple and cheap and its known to be capable of good power. also it doesnt have the printer cable....
1982 Ford Fairmont Futura, 4.8/th400, 8.8, mircrosquirt, 7665 turbo, Project Cheap Thrills

Quote:
Originally Posted by bricktop420 View Post
Thank you very much everybody... i now feel sufficiently retarded and will go cry in the corner...
cosbySweater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 12:32 PM   #37
cosbySweater
Board Member

yea its batch fuel waste spark
cosbySweater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 12:37 PM   #38
grnmachine02
Indicating?

I really wish I hadn't pulled the engine out of my car. It was running great on Microsquirt. Now it just looks sad in my car port
Old 01-30-2017, 12:44 PM   #39
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

yeah hindsight is a bitch on stuff like that. I find it better to hold off on starting a project before there's a clear path to victory. sometimes this is not always plausible, but at least it's a good rule of thumb ;)
Old 01-30-2017, 01:24 PM   #40
grnmachine02
Indicating?

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxman51 View Post
yeah hindsight is a bitch on stuff like that. I find it better to hold off on starting a project before there's a clear path to victory. sometimes this is not always plausible, but at least it's a good rule of thumb ;)
It's been motivation honestly. Sold redblock and t5, bought 2j and w58, have everything except motor mounts, and motivation has fallen to less than rock bottom.

Now I'm moments away from pulling the trigger on a GTX kit for the Fiesta
Old 01-30-2017, 01:27 PM   #41
VB242
One hundred gift baskets

Well it's taken me a month and I'm still not running on Microsquirt due to various issues, mostly I think trying to get the lh2 2 distributor to work and 1 bad crimp to the idle valve so far. Hopefully this VW coil fixes my spark problem. I feel so MS challenged since everyone says how easy it is.
VB242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 01:34 PM   #42
Lord_Athlon
Sf1k Kryptonite

Location: If there were a bright center of the universe, im in the town that is furthest from

Quote:
Well it's taken me a month and I'm still not running on Microsquirt due to various issues, mostly I think trying to get the lh2 2 distributor to work and 1 bad crimp to the idle valve so far. Hopefully this VW coil fixes my spark problem. I feel so MS challenged since everyone says how easy it is.
The lh 2.2 distro and single coil is by far the easiest path to MS on a redblock

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZVOLV View Post
I used paper books to learn how to do this stuff back in the day. Now I use pro software subscription
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvolvor
3/4", make everything as heavy as possible for no reason. It's also 4:1 compression ratio because that's how cosworth did it in 1978.
Lord_Athlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 01:42 PM   #43
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

easy or not, with *any* kinda management system there's usually a steep up front learning curve.
Old 01-30-2017, 01:46 PM   #44
Lord_Athlon
Sf1k Kryptonite

Location: If there were a bright center of the universe, im in the town that is furthest from

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxman51 View Post
easy or not, with *any* kinda management system there's usually a steep up front learning curve.
I stared at my car like an idiot for a few weeks back in 2005. If it wasnt for your writeup, I dont think it ever would have ran.
Old 01-30-2017, 01:52 PM   #45
VB242
One hundred gift baskets

I did have it running, idling and driving (not well) on Friday but Saturday brought nosparkatall. I also had a bad/fouled wideband sensor that got replaced Saturday morning, hard for auto tune to do anything without good data. Also moved the IAT to post intercooler pipe and was ready to do some serious tuning then no fire....
VB242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 02:24 PM   #46
BDKR
Section 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 740atl View Post
I believe Bowling and Grippo take to task the "developers" that take their (B&G) schematics, rearrange them on a different board, call the design their own and then sell them... at least that's how I understand it.... I could be mistaken.
I can understand that as long as it's justified. I'd protect my intellectual property as well.

Andrey is kind of making it sound like they are doing it to anyone and everyone. If there is evidence of this being done just because they can flex some muscle on the newcomers, I'd like to see it.
Old 01-30-2017, 02:26 PM   #47
Lord_Athlon
Sf1k Kryptonite

Quote:
I can understand that as long as it's justified. I'd protect my intellectual property as well.

Andrey is kind of making it sound like they are doing it to anyone and everyone. If there is evidence of this being done just because they can flex some muscle on the newcomers, I'd like to see it.
Its the open source attitude people have when they start their own projects.

I see it in software all the time.
Old 01-30-2017, 02:41 PM   #48
BDKR
Section 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Athlon View Post
The lh 2.2 distro and single coil is by far the easiest path to MS on a redblock
That's exactly the path I'm walking right now.

Gotta start somewhere.
Old 01-30-2017, 02:43 PM   #49
BDKR
Section 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Athlon View Post
Its the open source attitude people have when they start their own projects.

I see it in software all the time.
I write code too but I'm kind of curious what you mean by "the open source attitude".
Old 01-30-2017, 03:00 PM   #50
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

Quote:

they only do it to people who "improve the hardware" and then load the megasquirt software on there. The licensing for megasquirt is quite clear on what it can and cannot be used with/on/for.

they wax a bit poetic (and it's also been updated from this as well), but here's the gist:
http://www.megamanual.com/copy.htm

fake edit: here's the current one.
http://www.msextra.com/doc/pdf/licenses.pdf

a large part of the driving force behind all of that is to protect the community from diverse and sub-standard product infiltration, as has been the case several times in the past and continues even now.. people do try it all the time.

As far as C&D's to newcomers to the EFI aftermarket, doubt it. the minds behind megasquirt don't seem to have much if any interest beyond features, in other systems and their implementations. In fact, they don't always have much in the way of interest in extending some of the baser functions of the things they *do* have.

TL;DR: they only dispatch C&Ds when folks try to rip their stuff off (normally the software, as they have no exclusivity claim on the hardware they're using lol)