home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 07-26-2017, 10:29 AM   #1
Broke4speed
Board Member

Default Deleting lockup via valve body (AW71L)

Long story short, I hate the 71L I put in my car, because I cruise too low for my big 16G (8cm hotside) to spool at highway speeds (canadia, 80-100kph or 50-62mph). If the converter wasn't locked to direct drive, and I could take advantage of the converter stall speed, it would be fine...but that lockup clicks in at 81kph and sucks the fun out of the car. Finding and rebuilding an AW71 isn't going to happen, so...maybe there's a way I can modify my current one, I hope.

Here's a picture of the valve body from the ATSG manual:

There's two valves, a signal and a relay. Here's some helpful info from an old thread ( http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=121456) that explains what they do and how:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linuxman51
Lock-up signal Valve: Line pressure is supplied to one end of the valve and governor pressure to the other. Two line pressure inlets are provided, one for selector positions 1-3 and one for selector position 4. when 4th gear is engaged and the governor pressure (i.e. speed of the car) increases, oil flows at line pressure from the control valve to the changeover valve.

lock-up changeover valve: The valve is actuated by oil at line pressure from the signal valve. Opening the valve reverses the fluid flow from the torque converter, operating the lock-up clutch plate and activating the lock-up function.
Now, I'm wondering if I were to shim one of those two valves, or both, could I prevent the lockup from engaging? Any thoughts?
Old 07-26-2017, 10:40 AM   #2
KeizerBrickGuy
Board Member

Woah woah woah...before you go and wreck a perfectly functioning AW71L, ask around and find an AW71. I'm sure someone would gladly offer to meet and swap trannies with you. If you were closer, I would trade my AW71 out of my car for your AW71L.
#mclovethesenuts

-My car: White 1991 244, 308k miles. B230F LH2.4, AW70, R134a retro. Thrush glasspack, anthracite refinished Coronas
-Wife's car: White 1990 244DL, T cam, 160k miles.B230F LH2.4, AW70 w/aux cooler, Duracool AC, purple refinished Virgos, tow hitch, ipd wagon overload springs.
-PSM 2002 Subaru WRX wagon: 120k miles, Perrin TBE, Perrin turbo inlet, intake, and Y-pipe, GrimmSpeed cross pipe.
Rebuilding EJ207 shortblock to swap in this summer.
KeizerBrickGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 10:41 AM   #3
Ursan
الله الفول السوداني شطائر

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeizerBrickGuy View Post
Woah woah woah...before you go and wreck a perfectly functioning AW71L, ask around and find an AW71. I'm sure someone would gladly offer to meet and swap trannies with you. If you were closer, I would trade my AW71 out of my car for your AW71L.
This. Might be a lot less work as you'll need to pull the AW71l anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr brick driver View Post
Do you realize this is a rare car. From what i can see you ruined the eblems, the door lock cylenders, and casued about an additional 1000 in work for someone who wants to actally paint this car...ruined, RUINED, RUINED

1990 780t Kind of Modded 1994 945t Pegz, Tintz, Hidz.
"Rear Wheel Drive, the way God intended. If a car is being pulled from the front, doesn't that mean it's being towed?"

"Lister, you are a polyp on the anus of society." - A.J. Rimmer
Ursan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 10:45 AM   #4
EivlEvo
Board Member

I'm in agreement with these two, but I'm also not sure what you're asking would work.

First... what is your desired outcome? You want to have more boost by using the converters stall speed which I get... but maybe I'm missing how this happens at highway speeds?
EivlEvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 10:53 AM   #5
Broke4speed
Board Member

The converter locks to direct drive, which locks me at 2000rpm-ish. My 16g only spools at 3000, which means part throttle boost is impossible...and unless I make it kick down (which drops it from a 0.76-ish ratio to a 1:1...which is a very aggressive downshift for just needing to gently pass someone). I essentially have almost no power, since going from 2000 to 3000 in '5th' gear with an 'A' cam sucks without boost.

I'm in Ontario, which is pretty much as far as can be from swapping my box for someone else's, and I don't really want to do that, since my L is a roller-bearing tailshaft, and freshly rebuilt. I need to work with what I've got, and frankly, unless I swap to a 13C and 4.10 gears (which is what the turbo 940s with lockup came with up here in Canada), there's NO way I'm going to be able to get the part-throttle boost I want at cruising speeds. Being able to load the engine with the stall of the converter, at part throttle, will really help with the driveability I'm after.
Broke4speed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 11:17 AM   #6
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

a stiffer spring on the signal valve *should* delay lockup, but I suspect you'd be in for a lot of experimentation getting that where you want it to be.

Now with in-house Dyno tuning!

Megasquirt Tuning!
Plug and play LH 2.4 Megasquirt, now with stealth mode!
linuxman51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 11:22 AM   #7
Broke4speed
Board Member

Maybe I'll give it a try this weekend, since I have some time. I'm not really concerned with keeping the lockup, so a wee shim, a la accumulator mod-style, might be the ticket for me.
Old 07-26-2017, 11:28 AM   #8
freevolvos
Board Member

you answered your own question, change the rear gear instead of messing with the trans. first i would figure what r.p.m. you need at your cruise speed tire size ect then pick a gear
freevolvos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 11:38 AM   #9
EivlEvo
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freevolvos View Post
you answered your own question, change the rear gear instead of messing with the trans. first i would figure what r.p.m. you need at your cruise speed tire size ect then pick a gear
This is truthfully probably the path of least resistance.
EivlEvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 11:41 AM   #10
lummert
Board Member

I recently read that the lockup only comes on after the shift to overdrive. Would messing with the lockup also be messing with overdrive?
Old 07-26-2017, 12:26 PM   #11
Broke4speed
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freevolvos View Post
I honestly thought the lockup would be great...but it sucks. This is a 'toy' car for me, so I'm not trying to milk it for maximum fuel economy. All I want is more part-throttle spool .
Old 07-26-2017, 12:28 PM   #12
Harlard
Pro Sneaker Peddler

You are better off finding a lower rear gear and fixing your spool issues. A TD05H with a small hotside should spool fairly early.

Herr Harlard am Erstens

1979 242 DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by t8fanning View Post
My knob has a big chunk of steel on it
Harlard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 12:29 PM   #13
Broke4speed
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EivlEvo View Post
This is truthfully probably the path of least resistance.
My path of least resistance involves no money spent . I have the time, and I'm reasonably certain that shimming the lockup signal spring will effectively cancel the lockup function of the converter. I've been doing some research and it looks like this process is done on other makes/models of transmissions (big 3, mainly) to disable the lock.

It all depends on my enthusiasm for being covered in ATF this weekend, I guess.
Old 07-26-2017, 12:34 PM   #14
Broke4speed
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlard View Post
You are better off finding a lower rear gear and fixing your spool issues. A TD05H with a small hotside should spool fairly early.
Honestly, the lockup SUCKS for anything other than a 13C or MAYBE a 15G. If our speed limits were higher up here, like the 75mph I cruise at when I visit northern New York state, it wouldn't be an issue...but Canadia is slow.

If I had the unlimited money I used to have as a young buck (which usually meant skipping eating or being late on my rent), I'd replace the rear end AND the hotside...but I'm a fat old homeowner now, who is also saving for retirement, so...
Old 07-26-2017, 12:43 PM   #15
SlowRide
Cold War Crumple Zones

Living up to your user name
Valhalla for Countless Others
Slowest Project Ever
240 parts, +T, and More For Sale
Feedback
SlowRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 12:45 PM   #16
KeizerBrickGuy
Board Member

Circling back around to swapping to a non-lockup AW71...why is it that you're totally fine for doing something that a 71 could do, when I'm sure someone in the NY, VT, ME, PA States would gladly help? Or someone in your territory? I'm just having a hard time with the fact you're wanting to tear into a perfectly-functioning AW71L to make it an AW71...
KeizerBrickGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 12:51 PM   #17
Broke4speed
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowRide View Post
Living up to your user name
It was my very first screen name, on the first car forum I joined...and it's been f**king prophetic, lol. Now I've learned my lesson, and am still paying for it ;).
Old 07-26-2017, 12:54 PM   #18
Broke4speed
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeizerBrickGuy View Post
Circling back around to swapping to a non-lockup AW71...why is it that you're totally fine for doing something that a 71 could do, when I'm sure someone in the NY, VT, ME, PA States would gladly help? Or someone in your territory? I'm just having a hard time with the fact you're wanting to tear into a perfectly-functioning AW71L to make it an AW71...
Mine's a very late 71L with the roller bearing tailshaft, which is much more durable. I also rebuilt it tip-to-tail before I installed it, so I'm not quite sure I'd be able to come away with a transmission that's as good as the one I have now.

The modification is completely reversible, and will result in no damage whatsoever to the box, so I can go back at any time if I want. I'd much rather drop a valve body than a transmission .
Old 07-26-2017, 12:56 PM   #19
Broke4speed
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lummert View Post
I recently read that the lockup only comes on after the shift to overdrive. Would messing with the lockup also be messing with overdrive?
Not that I can see. The fluid signal comes from the governor, and '4th' gear (which would be O/D), so that when both signals are received there's enough pressure to move the valve, which opens a channel for the ATF to flow to the lockup function.
Old 07-26-2017, 02:14 PM   #20
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broke4speed View Post
Maybe I'll give it a try this weekend, since I have some time. I'm not really concerned with keeping the lockup, so a wee shim, a la accumulator mod-style, might be the ticket for me.
if you don't care to have lockup work at all ever, you could just shim it up so that the signal valve can't move, that would in effect prevent it from engaging.

shouldn't hurt anything, wouldn't be a big deal to undo later either.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:30 PM   #21
Wren
Porkchop Sandwiches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broke4speed View Post
Honestly, the lockup SUCKS for anything other than a 13C or MAYBE a 15G.
That's where you're wrong. They suck with a 13c as well. I can't express how much I regret putting one of them in our '93 240+T. I keep threatening to swap out the R&P to a 4.11, but that's a PITA that could have been avoided if I would have used one of my 71's.

I think a lot of the problem is they came with a torque converter better matched to an n/a engine. I've heard that the higher stall torque converter of the 72L can be used, but if I'm going to have to pull the transmission, I may as well put something in there that I know works well.
Wren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 09:50 PM   #22
Broke4speed
Board Member

Up here in Canadia, we got 71Ls in our turbo models. The tranny I'm using is from a late 940 turbo, so the stall is ~2500, which is pretty good.

I'm going to disable the lockup tomorrow after work, I'll post pics if I get it to work.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:51 PM   #23
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

yall are hilarious. you know you can also just roll off in it, pass whomever, and continue on, right?
Old 07-26-2017, 09:59 PM   #24
lummert
Board Member

Have you already tried the usual kickdown cable adjustment?
lummert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 10:02 PM   #25
Broke4speed
Board Member

Yep, kickdown cable is adjusted perfectly. It kicks down great.

Last edited by Broke4speed; 07-26-2017 at 10:08 PM..