Default Injectors, one and done?

1995 940 turbo
Chipped
16t
Cam
Intercooler
3" downpipe to 2.5" exhaust
Stock injectors

I recently put the 3" downpipe on and now have access to my wide band.

I want to adjust the boost to the 18-20 psi range on my 16t. I did and the first couple pulls in second gear yielded AFR in the low 14s. I understand the computer needs more time to learn but I assumed lh2.4 started richer while it adjusts. Regardless, I'm sure new injectors are in store for my setup.

Future plans include a 19t and maybe up to 25psi. Is there one injector I can buy that will suit me now and later. I posted in the brown top thread and was suggested an ev14 style injector? Another friend suggested "green Giants" which I've seen mentioned but don't know much about them. What size?

Is it time to upgrade or should I give lh2.4 more time to learn. I already bumped the boost down a bit so I don't break anything in the mean time. If it is that time, suggestions?

Last edited by soclosenotnear; 10-05-2017 at 09:26 PM..
soclosenotnear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 08:29 PM   #2
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

you'll need bigger injectors. I'd use whatever the chip provider recommends for the power level.

Now with in-house Dyno tuning!

Megasquirt Tuning!
Plug and play LH 2.4 Megasquirt, now with stealth mode!
linuxman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 02:05 AM   #3
Sweep
Board Member

Ev14 is just the plug, which is incorrect as they're EV1 I believe.
Sweep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 04:31 PM   #4
soclosenotnear
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxman51 View Post
you'll need bigger injectors. I'd use whatever the chip provider recommends for the power level.
Figured as much. I have never had the boxes out of the car to even confirm these chips exist. Only basing that on both previous owners telling me the computers had been chipped, but neither specified which chips. Also, evident by my higher rev limit. I'll take the boxes out soon and see what's the reality of it.
Old 10-06-2017, 04:36 PM   #5
soclosenotnear
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweep View Post
Ev14 is just the plug, which is incorrect as they're EV1 I believe.
That's what I thought also, but apparently that isn't the only difference.

Here is the other thread I posted in.

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showth...t=26083&page=4
Old 10-06-2017, 08:15 PM   #6
BIGsBY
Board Member

Yeah just get green giants or if you are in your local pnp then find a hpt car and get the blue injectors out of that.Those are 36lb hr or 363cc iirc.Being you have a m47 i wouldn't do much futher seeing its your daily so needs to be reliable and not breaking parts.
Old 10-16-2017, 02:56 PM   #7
soclosenotnear
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxman51 View Post
Any idea on who makes these chips? I've been leaning toward the Bosch green giat injectors from s60r/v70r's. Hoping I can figure out what chips these are to verify they'll play nice together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGsBY View Post
Yeah just get green giants or if you are in your local pnp then find a hpt car and get the blue injectors out of that.Those are 36lb hr or 363cc iirc.Being you have a m47 i wouldn't do much futher seeing its your daily so needs to be reliable and not breaking parts.
I'm likely going with your suggested green giants. And it's not my only daily, so I hope to destroy my m47 one of these days.

Last edited by soclosenotnear; 10-16-2017 at 03:03 PM..
Old 10-16-2017, 03:09 PM   #8
okoye
Board Member

green giants will be overkill for a 16t setup. I ran the blues at 12psi on a 50 trim and 20 on the green giants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagabond View Post
no one saw me with my little umbrella and sandpaper though.
okoye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 03:30 PM   #9
thelostartof
unbalanced chemical

Those look like the old Fred chips.

Did you reset LH after installing the new downpipe / exhaust? If not then do that first.

While you could try a 4 bar fpr to bump up pressure (make sure to reset LH) something along the line of 400cc Injectors would be a good fit for the stock AMM.

I am running a semi similar setup with a 15g@16psi, do88 IC stock DP with TME exhaust and a v15t cam. I am running 400cc injectors and I am still rich even running e54 (requires more fuel than 91).
Old 10-16-2017, 04:18 PM   #10
soclosenotnear
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by okoye View Post
green giants will be overkill for a 16t setup. I ran the blues at 12psi on a 50 trim and 20 on the green giants.
I plan on wringing out this 16t for everything it's worth at around 18-20psi. You still think they'll be too much for lh to adapt? Plus I'm hoping one set can get me by for now and after I upgrade my turbo later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelostartof View Post
Those look like the old Fred chips.

Did you reset LH after installing the new downpipe / exhaust? If not then do that first.

While you could try a 4 bar fpr to bump up pressure (make sure to reset LH) something along the line of 400cc Injectors would be a good fit for the stock AMM.

I am running a semi similar setup with a 15g@16psi, do88 IC stock DP with TME exhaust and a v15t cam. I am running 400cc injectors and I am still rich even running e54 (requires more fuel than 91).
Thank you for the info on the chips.

I did reset lh2.4 as my battery was unhooked for nearly a week.

The green giant injectors only flow 440cc which is just 10% out from what you suggested. Seems like you and okoye just gave somewhat conflicting information.

Would this be a reasonable solution? Running green giants with a 2.5 bar fpr until I go with a larger turbo?

Which amm would you run?

Sorry I have so many questions. Just trying to do this right.

Last edited by soclosenotnear; 10-16-2017 at 04:23 PM..
Old 10-16-2017, 09:58 PM   #11
thelostartof
unbalanced chemical

What is conflicting info? He said Green Giants are to much and they are 440cc right? I said that on my setup with 400cc I am still rich on e54. So that means that even 400 is to much, but on paper are sized right (for LH to be able to have the correct idle and cruise afr's, under boost you should also be fine and have a little head room for more boost) and should work. If you go any larger injector wise you will need to go up to a 3" amm (012 works best and some have had the 025 to work).

while you can run them with the 2.5 bar FPR you might run into minor atomization issues. Either way anything over 16psi on the 16t/15g is just pointless as it is all hot air. At the track with my 15g way back when the different between 16psi and 20psi was more tire spin off the line, same ET and trap speed but that was my pile of crap 10+ years ago, More torque but it will not make much more HP. I have a 19t here I need to get rebuilt and put on my car but I have just been lacking time to get things done.

I would try a $40 4bar FPR for now and reset LH and see what happens. A new set of chips might also help as the older model Freds chips had 'issues' with them.

How about this, set boost to 10psi what are afrs? Still rich? try 12psi, rich? try 14psi, still rich? maybe it is leaning out before it should which might point to a sign of a fuel system that might have worn out pumps in it.

Most chips are no where near maxed out on the fuel map so there is lots of room to go even with the stock injectors on the map.
thelostartof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 08:14 AM   #12
soclosenotnear
Board Member

Car is out of commission this week for me to set up my wasted spark. But I will try stepping up the boost gradually when I get it moving again.

I searched and found others used a Dodge turbo fpr? Got a link handy that is a direct fit?
Old 10-17-2017, 10:12 AM   #13
Lord_Athlon
Sf1k Kryptonite

Location: If there were a bright center of the universe, im in the town that is furthest from

The fpr for a 1990 Daytona Turbo should drop in. Be careful when sourcing injectors, there are lots of chinese knockoff injectors out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZVOLV View Post
I used paper books to learn how to do this stuff back in the day. Now I use pro software subscription
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvolvor
3/4", make everything as heavy as possible for no reason. It's also 4:1 compression ratio because that's how cosworth did it in 1978.
Lord_Athlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 10:19 AM   #14
soclosenotnear
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Athlon View Post
The fpr for a 1990 Daytona Turbo should drop in. Be careful when sourcing injectors, there are lots of chinese knockoff injectors out there.
Thanks for the advice. Something like this? It was for a 2.2l turbo (apparently they have a 2.5l turbo engine as well).

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....089435&jsn=444
Old 10-17-2017, 09:37 PM   #15
Lord_Athlon
Sf1k Kryptonite

Location: If there were a bright center of the universe, im in the town that is furthest from

Maybe check an 87. They had one with a nipple and not the threaded fitting.
Old 10-17-2017, 10:46 PM   #16
turbotankshane
Board Member

If you can't find the part number, I'll check my purchase history with the parts store up the street and get it for you. I just put one on the b230ft in my s10.
turbotankshane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 11:12 PM   #17
soclosenotnear
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotankshane View Post
If you can't find the part number, I'll check my purchase history with the parts store up the street and get it for you. I just put one on the b230ft in my s10.
I've found some that look like they'll work. '87 pulled it up. Is it important to find a Bosch one or any old off brand?
Old 10-17-2017, 11:27 PM   #18
Lord_Athlon
Sf1k Kryptonite

Any should work. I ran both a bosch, and a Wells back in the day.