• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Kenny's 1990 740 GLE, goin' for 9's

Did you ever get the GM flex fuel sensor hooked up? I'd be curious what your gauge reading in Tunerstudio is.

I got the same Gm sensor as you did, got the part numbers from you.

It's been plumbed in and powered up since the motor went together, but for no particularly good reason I only just got around to finishing that last connection in the passenger footwell to hook the sensor wire up to the MS.

I'm just not sure if I got a weak tank of E85, or it 47 - 50% is about what it's going to read.

So far I'm going on a sample size of 1 (one) tank of E85, so I'll see if it changes next time I fill up.

not yet, I got two sensors, one for each car. need to get on that. the e85 in the race car is probably borderline **** though by now..

I do know that tuning on E85 for me seems to be a process of constant change. I wonder how much of that has been due to each tank of E85 being a different mixture.

I stopped worrying about it as much, it was driving me crazy. now as long as it pulls clean, I kinda ignore the finer details. I didn't get any better fuel econ constantly messing with it, so I didn't see much value.

Got the tag for the new wagon today, 9S940T. Wasn't sure they were going to let me have that, so I had a backup in mind, but they took it.

well, it's all back together and bolted up and all that good stuff, recap of this time's effort:

OEM crank pulley
ARP flexplate bolts (loctite and toraked to all the torks)
new (well, lesser used) flexplate, spacer, washer plate
new converter adapter
new converter-> adapter bolts (7/16-20, much finer thread than the last set), loctited
loctited the adapter to flexplate bolts

running it and watching, the converter isn't moving the flexplate at all, so that's good.

we'll see I reckon...

Depends. Upper 80s for the next few days, with humidity in the high 90s percent range, so still fairly miserable but nice if there's a breeze or afternoon thunderstorm of any size. In about three weeks it'll be high 90s with the same humidity.

shuffled in about 2qts of trans fluid, and added springs to the wastegates (because that's the easy way to turn the boost up :cough: )

hilarity. the tires are garbage, so it's tough to really rate things based on wheel spin alone, but whitesmoking them at part throttle in 2nd gear is just funny (no brake stand, pulled off in 1st, short shifted it to 2nd, rolled onto the gas about 60% and they just went up in smoke). tune looks 'ok', I'll need to get the stickys on it and run it out at the track to see where things really are. So far it's a strong runner though, feels a lot better than it did before.

and by turned the boost up, it went from ~.4 bar to around .8 bar, so about 12.5 psi give or take. I'll get a video if I think about it.

still no loose bolts (good), but some kind of noise coming from the transmission area (bad). Also unsure of boost.. Using a 5 bar map sensor, however, the 5 bar settings result in it reading like 140kpa with the engine off (side note: it doesn't really feel like it's running a pissload of boost). put a boost gauge on the car just to look, and it took off past 20 (gauge stops at 20, but it also reads somewhere between 2 and 3 psi in free air, so I'm not inclined to believe much if anything it has to allow). Played with the scaling for the sensor, and it didn't drastically change what it was reading. the springs in the gates are setup for about .8 bar, and that's around what the ms was reading.

anyway, back to the noise, I get a ticking/tapping when the car first starts up, and again after it's been running for a bit (all the way warmed up, driven, etc)... it *sounds* like what you'd expect a bolt head hitting something to sound like, however nothing appears to be hitting anything, nothing is loose (thank god). I got it to make the noise turning the crank by hand once, and it sounded like it came from inside the converter itself, or at the very very front of the transmission (so, pump, cause there's nothing else really in the front end of a th400 that would make that kind of noise). That the noise comes and goes is doubly aggravating. no manifestations in driving or anything else, just an annoying noise and harbinger of doom of some kind. :-/

went back together great. new(er) flexplate, would be surprised if it cracked over the space of about 14 miles, it'd also be the first to crack despite all the other shenanigans that've gone on.

I reckon I'll stuff the camera up under there and see if I can pick something up that way.

whatever it is, doesn't hit turning the motor over by hand (the ol wrench on the crank bolt trick eh), when its sitting there idling, I can slide up under there and take a look-see at the converter/flexplate/everything else, no perceptible off-centerness, reach up and rev it, and everything stays put, no thrust on the plate itself from the converter. so I dunno. there was some talk of internals on the converter hitting each other, but I would think that would be the kind of problem that wouldn't go away and then come back a few minutes later.. I'd expect whatever was tagging up to continue tagging the other object until one or the other gave up.

video ftw. it is hitting the starter. I think maybe the starter itself is starting (no pun intended) to flake out, because while it was sitting there beating the **** out of the ear on the converter I hit the starter button and it immediately stopped. I'ma take a closer look at all that junk.

Back